Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Help! Chi hair straightening system

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
nervous View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nervous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2005 at 4:28pm
i am getting really nervous... I am supposed to have the "chi" done in 2 weeks and from all the stories I have heard I am a little worried. Paisley, did u go to a good salon or an okay 1? one of my friends had hers done at this salon(the one im going to) and her hair looks awesome! I am even going to the same person that did hers. I am worried that I will have the same results as some og u guys and I am freaked out... and this isn't even where I normally go. What should I do? should i have it done or skip it and find another treatment... and if so what treatment?
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2004 at 5:48pm
I did not say your hair was damaged before the procedure BUT permanently straightening your hair is damaging...it is breaking the bonds of your hair. I have read and seen the info all the heat and the chemicals, any perm or straightening can make hair break, fall off or melt. If Any perm can damage your scalp and leave burns, if it is doing that to your scalp than think what it is doing to your hair.

And we can agree to we can disagree, you also can blame it on your stylist. But I used to have a perm for along time now I am natural and I know my hair is alot healthier since.
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

QbanGal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote QbanGal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2004 at 5:38pm
Sorry , but I totally disagree. My hair was just curly. It was not damaged or mistreated and that day when she started to do my hair she took on 4 other clients. I think she took on more than she can chew and I was the unlucky one. From that day on I experienced my hair falling out not to mention a huge scab on my scalp. I did all she said to not use ponytails and to use CHI products. So she was defintely and totally at fault.

cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2004 at 11:17am
Your stylist is right she probably did not do anything wrong. If you are BREAKING the bonds in your hair it will most likely get weak and start to break off. They showed this a bout a month ago on 20/20 or dateline about women who were using this system. Many of them were bald. I have read about the process of this system and there is way too much heat at one time and chemicals to use. You can give her this info so she can warn her other clients about the risk but if she followed the instructions than it is probably not her fault. If you wanted your hair to be chemically straightened then it had to be damaged to get it that way, that is what breaking a bond does.
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

QbanGal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote QbanGal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2004 at 10:16pm
I wish I would have found this site before I had the CHI treatment done. Everything Paiselygirl explained has and is happening to me. My hairdresser claims she is not at fault that she did everything right and she has done it many times before and never had a problem. I plan on printing some info from here and showing her so she can she that she over did my hair. I have gotten to where I am terrified to wash, comb or brush my hair for fear I will lose more hair. I have patches where I see my hair has grown and I its been 2 months. I am so miserable and depressed, this is terrible.
Paisely girl and people responding thanks for all your info though for me it comes a bit late, but hopefully others will read before doing this treatment.

Thanks
dennis roche View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennis roche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2004 at 10:42pm
Bends come from sloppy application. Roche Salon in DC has done over 2000 services and it is hard to correct for at least two months (1 inch regrowth) Do not use heavy protein treatments , it will make the hair more brittle, leave- in moisturizing conditioner, dry with moderate tention and seal in conditioner with a moderately hot flat oe curling iron. T/R treated hair has a heat memory and heat helps, but you must seal in moisture, it softens the hair. As for the flat look or lack of volume spray a volumizing styling lotion over the conditioner and dry. Remember that too much conditioner does not work better.
aliaa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aliaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2004 at 1:35pm
hi, i did the yuko system 2 months ago and am experiencing the 'bends"

is there anything i can do to get rid of em :(

what if i apply a thio chemical relaxer on them? will they straighten out?

help!

ps. whats the difference between chi and yuko?
Setsuna View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Setsuna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2004 at 1:51am
Holy crap.... well.... I've recently decided to get a "Japanese Style Perm". I'm not sure if this and Chi are synonimous, but the results seem to go 50/50 at this point *at least with the Japanese style perm*.... I'm supposed to have this done in two days- so I'm going to see the stylist again today and make sure there are no questions. If there are any pearls of wisdom any of you could offer I would greatly appreciate them now. My hair has only had highlights once- but that was about 4&1/2 years ago.... My hair is fine and curly- and I all ready shed a lot. I'm kind of freaked now that if I get this done- my hair will fall out. And my hair grows SLOW- I'm talking about 1 inch per 6 months...
bonniestecher View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonniestecher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2004 at 12:37pm
I had the CHI method done on my hair in June of this year. I grew up always wanting straight hair..I thought my son's wedding would be a nice treat for a new "do". What a mistake. I couldn't believe when I read the posts this morning. You have all had exactly the same things as I have..this product should not be on the market. I never said a thing to anyone as I didn't want to make a big deal. My scalp felt weird for weeks..my hair is very thick and wavy and comes out in bunches..I color my hair and will not go grey, so I deal with it. It was a good thing that it looked ok for the wedding or there would be a lawsuit. I am not having touch-ups and will just let it go back to being wavy..btw..it is not perfectly straight..it still has waves in places...NOT worth the time $$$ or pain!!!
intears View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote intears Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2004 at 12:37am
I am so in tears!!
i got this Chi done on my hair yesterday...and i can kill myself for not doing the reaserch before i got it done!!! I started doing the reserach because my scalp was feeling funny as if it is shaved. I went to some salon (not my regular)...she said that she has done it several times and no complaints....And me for the greed of straight hair gave in!!!!

I am so scared that my hair will start falling out...i have very thin hair..and now it looks as if i have no hair..I cant imagine what my situation will be once i have the breakage :( :(.

She didnt do a strand test on me...obviously i will wait for few more days before i call for a refund ! ..Someone here mentioned talking to the Chi company...do u still have the # handy? i could not find the #..and now i am so freaked that i cant see anything clearly !!!

As the stylist advised me to buy the Chi after care kit i bought that...should i buy Redkin or can i continue to use this?

Somebody please help !!!system
jan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2004 at 4:16pm
I had the CHI straightening system done about 3 months ago. I have breakage on the back of my head along the cowlic line... At this point it looks like a mohawk after I wash it.. I went back to my salon and they taught me how to "tease" my longer hair to hide the 1" that sticks straight up.
Other than that I love the feel of my straightened hair! At first it was limp and very thin.. but perked up after about a month.
Paisleygirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paisleygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2004 at 2:42am
Gosh, it's been a while since I posted here. Sorry to leave y'all hanging there some. The 20/20 article on TR's tonight prompted me to come back here.

Here's an update. My hair continues to break off, not like it used to, but from time to time I'm still amazed at how it continues to break and I'll see multiple hairs in my hand when running my hand thru it. The broken hairs have definitely grown out - they're probably about 5 inches long or so now, but I have lots of huge clumps of broken hairs.

It's most noticeable (to me and hair stylists, not to others who don't know any better) on the top, sides and crown of my hair. I think it looks worst on the top side and crown of my hair. Thank GOD I have/had thick hair - otherwise I would have been a basket case long before now. My hair is so thin on one side of my head. I luckily didn't have the bald patches like some people have gotten from bad TR's.

I'm doing better now than I used to. I'm still not happy with how my hair looks because it "ripples" where the clumps of short hairs meet the long hairs - if that makes sense. Eventually it'll get long enough & to the point of me feeling comfortable to get shorter layers to help blend in those broken off areas.

I did get my money back from my stylist, and because of what happened to my hair she no longer does TR's. She felt awful that this happened to me and she still doesn't understand what she did wrong.

I know that people have successful TR's and there's lots of happy customers, but I doubt I will ever get another TR in my lifetime. Wishing for straight hair all of the time was not worth all of this pain and suffering I've been through. I can't believe it's already been almost 10 months since my TR.

For any others who have damage from TR's - don't believe what the Chi company tells you in buying only their Chi shampoo/cond/etc products. Get yourself some good products that will give you both moisture & protein. Be gentle and nice to your hair - try to avoid any chemicals being put on your hair for a while.

Here's some products that I use and would recommend. I believe they've helped keep my hair from becoming like straw and even more damaged:

Redken All Soft line (moisture)
Phi-tenbella Repair Shampoo/Treatment (moisture)
Redken Smooth Down line (moisture, esp Butter Treat)
Rene Furter - Okara Repairing Treatment Mask (protein conditioner)
ID Care PPT (very deep protein - need info to use since it's intense protein - also need moisture when using this)
Jojoba Oil (for dry/brittle hair, leave in overnight then shampoo - other oils are available too I think)
Heat Silk Lotion (heat protectant when blow drying, ironing)
Redken Anti-Snap (leave in conditioner for fragile hair)

I hope this continues to help others out there. Happy hair days!
Kaname View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kaname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2004 at 3:45pm
Wow, I really wish I had known this stuff before I had it done.

I had my chi treatment done a year ago. To this day my damned hair is still breaking and it's driving me nuts. My hair is very thick, which is probably why I am not flipping out and suing her because only on very rare occasions can I actually see where clumps have come out. But every day I do my hair I look on the ground and there is a massive amount of hair that has fallen out. And that is just when I am styling it, I know it constantly falls out during the day because they catch on my arm, shirt, etc.

I went back to the girl who did my hair 3 months ago and told her I had some breaking. She looked at it and saw it as well. She recommended Nexus Keraphix Restorative Protean Creme Reconstructor. So I bought that and have been using it for 3 months and STILL everything is the same and my hair is breaking constantly.

I refuse to cut my hair because the whole reason I got this treatment was so it would be easier to grow my hair long and I wouldn't have to take an hour + to iron it. Now my hair is mid back, my goal for my hair is still another 5 inches longer than what it is now. Unfortunately I don't know if my hair will last that long, I might have to get it cut which I would really hate to do.

I'm going to start using some products that were recommended in this thread and really hope that they work. I definately do not recommend this treatment though. Too many stylist here I think are messing up on it. Anyway, thanks everyone for sharing your experiences with it.
Meganwynn View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meganwynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2004 at 9:00pm
I totally LOVE my Chi Process! Just make sure someone good does it! Mine was only 100 and she used two number twos on it because my hair is all crazy, lol
jazzstylist View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzstylist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2004 at 11:44pm
i am quite surprised with these horror stories! i am a stylist who performs the service and i've never had a problem....i went the extra mile and had the service performed on myself and said goodbye to my curls. i can't wait to touch up my roots!

paisley,my guess is that during the flat ironing stage she probably went too close to your roots....causing the hair to be too straight/too flat...and now as your hair is growing...it is the total opposite texture which is a shock. the solution is to be applied a bit after the root and not directly on it.....it is not to be combed at all during the first stage!

as for over processing....i find it unlikely to cause "bends". it would cause dryness. "bends" are caused from the physical method it is done and not the chemical.

keep up your treatments!!!
KITTEN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KITTEN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2004 at 7:23pm
Whoa... I was curious about this system, I have slightly curly hair, and I usually use irons to get it straight. The stylist I asked about this said it was completely safe and does not stress the hair at all; since I have just managed to get my hair healthy and nice again after a rather generous cut I was cauchious about trying it, not being able to beive there was a perm that didnt damage the hair at all...So I descided to research a bit, and Im glad I did! After reading this; - no chi for me!
PelesGrrl View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PelesGrrl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2004 at 4:02am
i just wanted to drop a wuick note to say that my girlfriend and another hairstylist gave me the CHI treatment and used #1 (i guess there's something like 3 different kinds of formulas). they were pretty strict about the length of time that they did everything (including the washing, rinsing and conditioning) as well as being extra careful to let just my girlfriend do the flat-iron part alone while the other stylist parted my hair in sections and went in the direction of the growth of that particular section.
it's been 2 weeks so far and i've not experienced any of the scalp problems or bent hairs that you have, paisleygirl. that is horribly scary and i'm sorry it happened to you. my hair is still just as soft and shiny as the day i got it done and i still love it. (my hair was really curly!)
i use the shampoo, conditioner, keratin mist and silk infusion from the CHI line. i don't, however, use each product on a daily basis. my girlfriend told me that the keratin mist adds a lot to your hair, so once or twice a week is sufficient to "feed" your hair. i use the silk infusion every 2 or 3 days, when i wash my hair. (i live in hawaii, so i don't find much cause to wash my hair daily unless i've been in the ocean for a long time.)
i read the previous replies and thought you might want to hear from someone who liked the treatment.
aloha.
missydoodle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missydoodle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2004 at 9:10pm
Hey gals! I was actually trying to find a salon that does this starightening system to hair because I am do for a update on it. It has been about 6 months since my friend did the farouk japanese straightner on my hair. I absolutely LOVED it. I had extremley thick hair and it was very curly as well as having been bleached. So, while it did make my hair a lot thinner - I liked it; didnt even make it any unhealthy. It was actually her first time doing it, but she did a great job. She just watched some video and made notes throughout, so I guess I got lucky that it came out so good. It really sounds like she did overprocess your hair paisleygirl. My friend that did it mentioned that leaving it on too long was a HUGE mistake and she was being EXTRA careful not to do that. If she even had the time to check back a few times then it sounds like it was on way too long. Like I said, I LOVED the straightner and I am now trying to find a salon that will do it near me(raleigh, nc). I just dont want to pay $500 or more to get it done. I was spoiled my friend that only did it for cost of product. If anyone knows where to buy the product along with an instructional video - please let me know! Thanks! And by now, I hope you hair is doing better paisleygirl! O - BTW, the hairdresser that first responded to paisleygirl - you sound very well educated on it and I would love to know where you are located to see if it is near me!
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2004 at 11:11pm
correcting* on the site none of the people had curly hair so how much were they really altering anyways.
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2004 at 11:08pm
You know before i do anything to my body I do plenty of research on it. Why do it seem like some people went in just blind?

Anytime you put something that alters your hair or body you should do as much research as possible. Usually you will find complaints and you will find people who were happy with it. Also, why wouldnt you expect hair breakage...anytime u put chemicals in your hair to alter its structure of course your hair is going to break. So if you thought about that you could have taken advance action to find ways to decrease the amount of breakage.

I would not use this process but I did look into on yahoo and when they showed the process step by step...well the process they used in china or wherever they put on so much heat...about 3 different times in the step after all of the chemicals. Shoot !!! Without the chemical all u had to do was flat iron your hair 3 times and it would be just as straight. See the pain we do to make us look l" american standard as cute" .....

Sorry to hear about your issue...but research research research. Even if you know someone from the country the stuff was created you should of asked how many people do you know there have used it? Is it common there? Have you used it was it your experience?Its not rude many people are happy to speak about their culture.
I have yet to have met anyone from china with curly hair so i do question that particular treatment. Also the people on the different sites I looked up none of the people who were getting their hair treated had straight hair...MAKES YOU SAY HMMMMM

now you have to do alot of deep conditionings basically start over. Just thought i should shine some light because these posts are getting out of hand. And if you guys take offense well don't get upset cause I spoke the truth
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic