Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Help! Chi hair straightening system

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Paisleygirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paisleygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2004 at 2:42am
Gosh, it's been a while since I posted here. Sorry to leave y'all hanging there some. The 20/20 article on TR's tonight prompted me to come back here.

Here's an update. My hair continues to break off, not like it used to, but from time to time I'm still amazed at how it continues to break and I'll see multiple hairs in my hand when running my hand thru it. The broken hairs have definitely grown out - they're probably about 5 inches long or so now, but I have lots of huge clumps of broken hairs.

It's most noticeable (to me and hair stylists, not to others who don't know any better) on the top, sides and crown of my hair. I think it looks worst on the top side and crown of my hair. Thank GOD I have/had thick hair - otherwise I would have been a basket case long before now. My hair is so thin on one side of my head. I luckily didn't have the bald patches like some people have gotten from bad TR's.

I'm doing better now than I used to. I'm still not happy with how my hair looks because it "ripples" where the clumps of short hairs meet the long hairs - if that makes sense. Eventually it'll get long enough & to the point of me feeling comfortable to get shorter layers to help blend in those broken off areas.

I did get my money back from my stylist, and because of what happened to my hair she no longer does TR's. She felt awful that this happened to me and she still doesn't understand what she did wrong.

I know that people have successful TR's and there's lots of happy customers, but I doubt I will ever get another TR in my lifetime. Wishing for straight hair all of the time was not worth all of this pain and suffering I've been through. I can't believe it's already been almost 10 months since my TR.

For any others who have damage from TR's - don't believe what the Chi company tells you in buying only their Chi shampoo/cond/etc products. Get yourself some good products that will give you both moisture & protein. Be gentle and nice to your hair - try to avoid any chemicals being put on your hair for a while.

Here's some products that I use and would recommend. I believe they've helped keep my hair from becoming like straw and even more damaged:

Redken All Soft line (moisture)
Phi-tenbella Repair Shampoo/Treatment (moisture)
Redken Smooth Down line (moisture, esp Butter Treat)
Rene Furter - Okara Repairing Treatment Mask (protein conditioner)
ID Care PPT (very deep protein - need info to use since it's intense protein - also need moisture when using this)
Jojoba Oil (for dry/brittle hair, leave in overnight then shampoo - other oils are available too I think)
Heat Silk Lotion (heat protectant when blow drying, ironing)
Redken Anti-Snap (leave in conditioner for fragile hair)

I hope this continues to help others out there. Happy hair days!
jan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2004 at 4:16pm
I had the CHI straightening system done about 3 months ago. I have breakage on the back of my head along the cowlic line... At this point it looks like a mohawk after I wash it.. I went back to my salon and they taught me how to "tease" my longer hair to hide the 1" that sticks straight up.
Other than that I love the feel of my straightened hair! At first it was limp and very thin.. but perked up after about a month.
intears View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote intears Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2004 at 12:37am
I am so in tears!!
i got this Chi done on my hair yesterday...and i can kill myself for not doing the reaserch before i got it done!!! I started doing the reserach because my scalp was feeling funny as if it is shaved. I went to some salon (not my regular)...she said that she has done it several times and no complaints....And me for the greed of straight hair gave in!!!!

I am so scared that my hair will start falling out...i have very thin hair..and now it looks as if i have no hair..I cant imagine what my situation will be once i have the breakage :( :(.

She didnt do a strand test on me...obviously i will wait for few more days before i call for a refund ! ..Someone here mentioned talking to the Chi company...do u still have the # handy? i could not find the #..and now i am so freaked that i cant see anything clearly !!!

As the stylist advised me to buy the Chi after care kit i bought that...should i buy Redkin or can i continue to use this?

Somebody please help !!!system
bonniestecher View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonniestecher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2004 at 12:37pm
I had the CHI method done on my hair in June of this year. I grew up always wanting straight hair..I thought my son's wedding would be a nice treat for a new "do". What a mistake. I couldn't believe when I read the posts this morning. You have all had exactly the same things as I have..this product should not be on the market. I never said a thing to anyone as I didn't want to make a big deal. My scalp felt weird for weeks..my hair is very thick and wavy and comes out in bunches..I color my hair and will not go grey, so I deal with it. It was a good thing that it looked ok for the wedding or there would be a lawsuit. I am not having touch-ups and will just let it go back to being wavy..btw..it is not perfectly straight..it still has waves in places...NOT worth the time $$$ or pain!!!
Setsuna View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Setsuna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2004 at 1:51am
Holy crap.... well.... I've recently decided to get a "Japanese Style Perm". I'm not sure if this and Chi are synonimous, but the results seem to go 50/50 at this point *at least with the Japanese style perm*.... I'm supposed to have this done in two days- so I'm going to see the stylist again today and make sure there are no questions. If there are any pearls of wisdom any of you could offer I would greatly appreciate them now. My hair has only had highlights once- but that was about 4&1/2 years ago.... My hair is fine and curly- and I all ready shed a lot. I'm kind of freaked now that if I get this done- my hair will fall out. And my hair grows SLOW- I'm talking about 1 inch per 6 months...
aliaa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aliaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2004 at 1:35pm
hi, i did the yuko system 2 months ago and am experiencing the 'bends"

is there anything i can do to get rid of em :(

what if i apply a thio chemical relaxer on them? will they straighten out?

help!

ps. whats the difference between chi and yuko?
dennis roche View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennis roche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2004 at 10:42pm
Bends come from sloppy application. Roche Salon in DC has done over 2000 services and it is hard to correct for at least two months (1 inch regrowth) Do not use heavy protein treatments , it will make the hair more brittle, leave- in moisturizing conditioner, dry with moderate tention and seal in conditioner with a moderately hot flat oe curling iron. T/R treated hair has a heat memory and heat helps, but you must seal in moisture, it softens the hair. As for the flat look or lack of volume spray a volumizing styling lotion over the conditioner and dry. Remember that too much conditioner does not work better.
QbanGal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote QbanGal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2004 at 10:16pm
I wish I would have found this site before I had the CHI treatment done. Everything Paiselygirl explained has and is happening to me. My hairdresser claims she is not at fault that she did everything right and she has done it many times before and never had a problem. I plan on printing some info from here and showing her so she can she that she over did my hair. I have gotten to where I am terrified to wash, comb or brush my hair for fear I will lose more hair. I have patches where I see my hair has grown and I its been 2 months. I am so miserable and depressed, this is terrible.
Paisely girl and people responding thanks for all your info though for me it comes a bit late, but hopefully others will read before doing this treatment.

Thanks
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2004 at 11:17am
Your stylist is right she probably did not do anything wrong. If you are BREAKING the bonds in your hair it will most likely get weak and start to break off. They showed this a bout a month ago on 20/20 or dateline about women who were using this system. Many of them were bald. I have read about the process of this system and there is way too much heat at one time and chemicals to use. You can give her this info so she can warn her other clients about the risk but if she followed the instructions than it is probably not her fault. If you wanted your hair to be chemically straightened then it had to be damaged to get it that way, that is what breaking a bond does.
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

QbanGal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote QbanGal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2004 at 5:38pm
Sorry , but I totally disagree. My hair was just curly. It was not damaged or mistreated and that day when she started to do my hair she took on 4 other clients. I think she took on more than she can chew and I was the unlucky one. From that day on I experienced my hair falling out not to mention a huge scab on my scalp. I did all she said to not use ponytails and to use CHI products. So she was defintely and totally at fault.

cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2004 at 5:48pm
I did not say your hair was damaged before the procedure BUT permanently straightening your hair is damaging...it is breaking the bonds of your hair. I have read and seen the info all the heat and the chemicals, any perm or straightening can make hair break, fall off or melt. If Any perm can damage your scalp and leave burns, if it is doing that to your scalp than think what it is doing to your hair.

And we can agree to we can disagree, you also can blame it on your stylist. But I used to have a perm for along time now I am natural and I know my hair is alot healthier since.
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

nervous View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nervous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2005 at 4:28pm
i am getting really nervous... I am supposed to have the "chi" done in 2 weeks and from all the stories I have heard I am a little worried. Paisley, did u go to a good salon or an okay 1? one of my friends had hers done at this salon(the one im going to) and her hair looks awesome! I am even going to the same person that did hers. I am worried that I will have the same results as some og u guys and I am freaked out... and this isn't even where I normally go. What should I do? should i have it done or skip it and find another treatment... and if so what treatment?
nervous View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nervous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2005 at 6:21pm
i am also curious... is it good to have your hair tested before you have this treatment done? The place that I am going to told my mom to bring me in there. Is this the sign of a good salon?
OniGiri View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OniGiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2005 at 11:19pm
Hello everyone!

I just wanted to offer a little bit of reassurance...
I've had the CHI system done now three times. I just got my third time done 2 days ago. The first time I did it, I experienced a lot of what everyone else has experienced. I had bends, and I wondered whether it was normal to have hair so stiff at the scalp. I had a little breakage in one spot, but I think this was due to the fact that I went swimming shortly after the treatment, and neglected to treat my hair gently. Although I was worried about how it felt, after I washed it and it grew out a little, it felt just fine! I'm so sorry about what happened to those who had bad experiences... but I think sometimes it just depends on the person and their hair. Though mine had bends, it grew out and straightened itself out pretty well. The second time I did it, I had better results, still with the stiffness, but it went away after a while, and looked great. I know it doesn't turn out this way for everyone... =( But don't give up hope! Sometimes things have a way of working out. Good luck to you all!
KatieMac View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KatieMac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2005 at 1:02am
Hi everyone,

I had Chi done to my hair one week ago. No breakage, stiffness in a tiny little spot, and no bends. BUT... I still have curly hair. It made it slightly straighter, but I still have to blow dry w/ a round brush for a long time. Bottom line... if you are going to spend this much on your hair, do not go somewhere that uses the Chi product. Obv. it can be ineffective or damaging, so I would definately reccomend just steering clear. Good luck to everyone out there with problems, I'm so sorry to hear about it and you are in my prayers.
help me please! View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote help me please! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2005 at 10:33am
I had the chi done about a month ago and i went and had it cut yeterday.(i went 2 a different salon 2 have the chi done) and i went to the one i have gome to for years. My stylist was about 2 wash my hair and she was searchinf thru my scalp and told me that i have a LOT of breakage in the front and on the crown of my head. I had been noticing more and more hair coming out. Anyway she told me to go back to the other salon and tell them about this. I have to call 2morrow and demand that they give me FREE deep conditioning treatments. I am really scared. What else should I do? My mom is freaking out and so am i. i dont want to experience hair loss like that at 15. I got this done to make my life easier and now it is the hair from hell. Anyone considering the CHI dont do it. I read this b4 i had it done, but my friend that had it done convinced me to do it... hers came out gr8 and we even went to the same lady
Thanks everyone!
malishka31 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malishka31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2005 at 11:00am
I have curly hair, and my stylist has offered to "straighted" it various times.. and i always say no.
Regardless of the system that is used, IT IS DAMAGING TO YOUR HAIR.
Nothing is worth that, everyones goal should be HEALTHY hair, not brittle and damaged hair.

I personally would never straighten just because of what these products do. They are attempting to permantly break the protein bonds of your hair and to change their shape.

I enjoy having straight hair and i have spend over 500 on Kerastase and T3 Tourmaline blowdryers and irons, ... it only takes me 20-30 minutes to perfectly straighten my mid back hair, usually it takes me 3+ hours, but for some reason this dryer and iron make a huge huge diffrence.

All i am saying is that everyone who wants to straighten should really give a higher consideration to these horror stories b/c even the small chance that any of this may happen is to big .

PS. Hugs and Kisses to the people who suffered through this.
Nicki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2006 at 2:32am
I know that this topic hasn't been discussed since December of 2003 but I just came across this site this week.  I think I may have some good news about the Chi Transformation System for some people.  I know not everyone will benefit from this but I hope I can help.  I have been using The CHI System for 1 1/2 years now.  I get my roots done every 6 months and I have never felt better about myself.  My last treatment was in April and this past week, I noticed 4 bald spots that were extremely painful and itchy and red.  I freaked out.  I was so scared that I was losing hair so quickly.  Was I sick?  Lupus???  Was I going bald??  Was it the CHI?  It had to be....it was the most aggressive thing I have done to my hair.  I found this forum and immediately was convinced it was the Chi even though my hairdresser did a terrific job on me.  On Tuesday, I went to a dermatologist and she wasn't convinced my hairdresser was to blame...or the potency of the product for that matter.  She suspected I had contact allergies.  She did a T.R.U.E. Allergen Patch Test on me and we found that I am allergic to one of the ingredients in the CHI.  THE SAME INGREDIENT IS ALSO IN MY SHAMPOO!!!  My hair dresser did do an allergy spot test on me before using the product and I didn't have any reactions.  However, a reaction won't always occur immediately.  The more you are exposed to the allergen, the worse your body reacts.  That is why my reaction was so delayed.  After I did the treatment the last time, my scalp felt weird....like the hair was being tugged in spots.  I realize now that it was a MILD allergic reaction but by washing my hair with shampoo I am MILDLY allergic to, after time, it caused my scalp to become inflamed and my hair to fall out.  I think if people want straight hair, the CHI system is still a fantastic way to get amazing hair that you have always dreamed of.  But before you do, do yourself a favor and see a dermatologist and ask to have the T.R.U.E. Allergen Patch Test done.  Compare the results of the test with the ingredients in the bottles to see if you may be allergic to anything.  If so, avoid it.  If not, enjoy the hair you have always dreamed of! 
Nicki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2006 at 2:35am
My mistake....I just realized the topic HAS been discussed since Dec of 2003!  Glad to see that.  I hope my last post helps someone.  By the way, my hair has always been Thick, coarse, curly and frizzy.  The CHI made my hair look beautiful, smoothe, soft and healthy.  I am going to miss having it done so much!!!!  Just be sure you go to a good salon and be tested for any allergies beforehand.
delta4ever View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote delta4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2006 at 9:29pm
I also just had my hair straightened with the Chi system today, and I am really worried about the results.  I have had it done in the past with a different system (can't remember the name), this time was the first time I had the Chi.  My hair seems to be "stuck" in place, and in some places has "doll hair" texture.  Has anyone had this experience?  Is this a normal thing that will go away when I wash it?  When I say stuck in place, I mean if I try to move hair over the part it flops back exactly where it was. 
Hope someone can enlighten me.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic