Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Help! Chi hair straightening system

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Paisleygirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paisleygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2003 at 2:54pm
Janet,

I'm glad you've waited before getting a TR. Trust me, there are lots out there that have successful TR's and absolutely love their hair. If it wasn't for my damaged bent hairs, my hair would have been one of those cases because it is definitely straight. I love how quickly it takes for me to style my hair now, especially when blow drying - it really cut down on the time for styling, however now I use hot rollers more than I ever have because I want more volume than my straight hair now gives me. I personally don't like the plastered-down, flat looking straight hair on myself...on others it looks great though.

But if you are wanting to wear your natural curl at times and then go straight at other times, then I would suggest that you not get a TR/permanent straightening system done. I wouldn't miss my natural curl, so I didn't hesitate on that, however initially I regretted getting my TR (besides the damage issue) because I did miss my volume that my natural curl gave me - after the TR it seemed SO flat and lifeless. It's gotten better over time and doesn't seem so flat, only because I'm styling it different now. But I would imagine that you would miss your natural curl too much for you to put a permant chemical treatment on your hair.

I really don't know what to suggest for you. I never found any products that helped my hair not to frizz up or kink up in humidity. I could use products to get my hair straight when styling, but at the first sign of moisture my bangs and hair would start curling up.

I wish I could be of more help...good luck.
~Paisleygirl
syl View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote syl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2003 at 3:55pm
To Paisleygirl:
I'm doing research for a story on japanese straightening. Would like to speak with you about your experience. If you will email me at straighthair@abctv.com I'll give you direct contact info. No obligation to be quoted or otherwise part of story unless you agree. TIA
Ally83 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ally83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2004 at 8:51am
Hi paisleygirl, i am experiencing what you are going through with hair breakage and bent hair from the straightening system. please tell me what you did to improve the situation of your hair. how is your situation going as well!

thanks, ally
Paisleygirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paisleygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2004 at 12:19am
Hi Ally,

I'm SO sorry to hear that you're going thru this as well!!

Here's an update on my hair. It's been about 4.5 months since my TR. My hair ended up getting tons of patches of short hairs, from where the hair broke off at the bends. My hair started breaking off around week 2, then the worst of it was around week 4. It continued until around week 6 or 7. Now, I only see the ocassional broken hairs - but they do still break off. I've not done anything to "fix" my bends chemically or to get them straightened. In fact, I've not colored or done anything chemically to my hair since last October. And boy am I in need of some hair color with my greys!! :-0 I've kinda been leary of doing anything to it since it was in pretty bad shape there for a while. The dryness has gotten better (thanks to some of the products I'm now using I believe). All of the broken patches can be seen if I show someone, but outright they're not horrible looking. I just thank God that I have thick hair because I've lost TONS of volume. Also, I'm so thankful for one patch of hairs on top in the middle that hung in there and didn't break off because they help hide my broken patches. If it weren't for them I'd be bawling most days from nappy hair! But all in all, my hair doesn't look horrible. My regrowth is over 2 inches now - the broken bang hairs that I got are about grown out to be the same length as my other bang hairs. I've had to cut off about 6 inches or so since my TR. I unfortunately still see lots of split ends and will probably have to get even more cut off to get all of the dead hair trimmed off.

Anywho, that's my update. Hope ya don't regret asking for it!

There are some suggestions that I would recommend you do to help your hair. Questions though - when did you get your TR? What system was it? When did you notice the bends - do you know what the stylist did wrong? Have you seen breakage? Just curious about what you've been going through.

Anyway, here's some of these things I did when I found out I got the bends, however some of it I didn't know about til later (sure wish I had known about some of it sooner than I did, maybe I could have saved my hair some). Here's my recommendations:

1. Make sure you get some protein treatments. Products such as PPT ID Care, Redken's Deep Fuel, Rene Furterer's Okara Hair repair treatment mask, or Frederic Fekkai's protein RX Hair Mask are some good products. Some are used different than others. PPT Id Care should only be used once every 3-4 weeks for damaged hair. I believe others you can use more regularly. If your stylist will do complimentary deep-conditioning treatments on your hair (complimentary of course since they botched your hair), I would highly recommend doing them about once a month.

2. You need deep moisturizing shampoo & conditioners. I regularly use Redken Allsoft Shampoo & Conditioner or Yuko Phiten Bella Shampoo & Treatment. There are other good brands out there.

3. Jojoba oil!!!!!! This is wonderful for dry hair or for lubricating the bends so that they don't split or break off. You can probably use other types of hair oil as well. I know of someone from the Lovely Loon forum who got the bends last summer and she's not gotten much breakage at all, possibly because of using this product (as well as taking great care of her hair). Some people douse this in their hair and sleep in it overnight (with a towel on your pillow) and then shampoo like normal. It's really helped my hair since I've been using it. I don't see the dryness like I did before.

4. Be gentle and take care of your hair. Don't tug, don't use tight ponytails, don't use clips if you can help it, don't use a brush on your hair while it's wet. Try to use a wide toothed pick to brush your hair - it'll run thru your hair smoother and won't tug on those dry/bent areas.

5. Get regular hair trims.

6. Taking vitamins and being healthy probably helps too! :)

I hope this advice helps. I've not really found a whole bunch of people who have tried to get their bended hairs chemically "fixed" or straightened - at least successfully. It's possible that fixes can be done, but if you even try one I'd recommend you wait at least 4-5 months or even longer for your hair to grow out from the scalp as well to try to get it more healthy. I decided that it's too risky for me to try to get them fixed since I've had so much breakage and the other hairs that haven't broken yet don't need any manipulation done to them cuz they'll probably break off as well. I'm not even sure if I'll ever get a TR again. I love having straight hair and it takes SO much less time getting my hair ready - but not sure it's worth it. If I do decide to get another TR, I'll probably travel to NYC or Toronto to some experts I've heard of that work there - but of course that means lots of $$$.

I wish you the best and hope you don't see breakage. Keep us posted!

Take care,
Paisleygirl
Ally83 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ally83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2004 at 8:13am
hi Paisleygirl! thank you so much for your suggestions. in reply to your questions i got my TR done early january and im not too sure what the system was. i regret not researching on the TR system before i got my hair done. i believe the stylist left the chemicals on too long approx 30 mins. i only had little knowledge of what the process involved. i also believe the stylist ironed my hair flat down and not at the right angle which is 90 degrees from the scalp i think. i believe that caused my bends. i noticed them only a few days after i got the procedure done and it felt weird like shaved hair. i then noticed that it was breaking off at the bent part because there are splits at the bent parts. did you notice that too? there is one part at the back of my head where there are little hairs sticking up and thank goodness thats the only part on my head. i am using the redken products because i can't find ppt id care in australia.

it took me ages to find what the problem with my hair was and stumbled across a website called verticalsinhair by steve tcherkezian who explained about bends in straightened hair. so its been 2.5 months now and my hair is not breaking much unless i tug at it real hard which i will not intend to do.

i was wondering what style you did with your hair while waiting for it to grow out because mine looks awful like i have a square on my head when i leave it out. i totally wish my hair would grow faster and go back to normal. i miss the natural way the roots look not like the squarish look i have!

do you recommend other websites or forums i should visit? thanks again for your reply and reading this loooooooooong msg!

hope all goes well for you and keep us updated on your situation as well!

ally
jenny1227 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jenny1227 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2004 at 8:24pm
Hi Paisley Girl,
I just finished reading all the postings about your Chi hair straightening experience and it''s really helped me alot! I went for a haircut a few weeks ago and my hairstylist was totally trying to sell me on this system. I was having doubts about it and I think after reading about your experience, I not going to get it done. He said he was giving me a "deal" at $400 :-). I''m sorry about your bad experience, but by putting in on the net, I''m sure you''ve prevented alot of others from going through this same thing, me included! So thanks alot for sharing your experence.

I see that it''s been a while since your last posting - how''s your hair now?
Ali Manaro View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ali Manaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2004 at 6:54pm
okay..I need help..I have always had kinda frizzy wavy hair i I hate it!! I recently got it relaxed but it still doesnt do what i want tit to. I cant go ut of the house with out blowdrying AND flat ironing!!! I am starting to wrnder in the CHI straightening technique would work in my hiair? If you do the CHI, Do you still have to blow dry and flat iron your hiar? or does it dry straight! PLEASE HELP ME!!! thanx
THISSUCKS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THISSUCKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2004 at 9:13pm
OKAY, I AM IN YOUR EXACT BOAT. I JUST HAD THE CHI STRAIGHTENING 3 WEEKS AGO AND MY HAIR IS COMPLETELY BREAKING OFF AT THE SCALP. I HAVE LONG HAIR, THE MIDDLE OF MY BACK AND NOW HAVE A BALD SPOT RIGHT OVER THE MIDDLE OF MY FOREHEAD THAT IS CONTINUING TO MOVE BACK. EVERY LITTLE BEND IS BREAKING OFF AND I AM ABOUT TO JUST VOMIT. IT LOOKS LIKE IT HAS BEEN A WHILE SINCE YOU HAD THIS, WHATEVER ENDED UP HAPPENING? DID IT EVENTUALLY STOP BREAKING AND IF SO, HOW SOON? HOW HAS THE GROWING OUT BEEN? AM I GOING TO BE BALD IN ANOTHER WEEK? HELP!!!
Fatima View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatima Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2004 at 2:44pm
OH MY GOD !!!!!!!!!!!
I just had mine done yesterday and I came across this message board today. My stylist has done a few of them and they seem to have turned out OK. I will let you guys know what happens ot my hair.
By the way, can someone tell me what ot use on my hair to make it healthy. What's all this about proteins ?
monique odom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monique odom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2004 at 7:23pm
i had the chi treatment done six months ago and my hair is still breaking off and falling out. i had to threaten to sue her for her to give me my money back. i have bent hairs all over. immediatly after the procedure some hairs at my part were totally broken off at the scalp. my hair looks so thin now. i have had it cut 5 times in 6 months. i even had to go to a dermatologist. i wonder if nioxin would help me, but i do not want it to make it worse. i called the chi compnay and they told me that i should still use the chi shampoo, conditioner and inusion. so i have been. i am scared if i stopped that my hair would fall out more.

i definitly will not ever use any chemicals on my hair again. my hair has was virgin hair. and because my stylist was careless and did not do a strand test and left the product on too long, my hair is fallling out at age 32.
THISSUCKS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THISSUCKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2004 at 8:57pm
MONIQUE, I AM 32 AS WELL. I AM AT 5 WEEKS AND THE HAIRLOSS IS INSANE. I HATE TO HEAR THIS FAR INTO IT THAT YOU ARE STILL LOSING HAIR. HOW LONG WAS YOUR HAIR TO START. WHAT DOES IT LOOK LIKE GROWING OUT? DID YOU END UP GETTING YOUR MONEY BACK? I HAVE NOT ASKED YET BUT I GUESS I SHOULD. TO ME IT ISN'T ABOUT THE MONEY IT IS ABOUT GETTING MY HAIR FIXED. I DON'T USE THE CHI SHAMPOOS, I AM USING KERASTASE, PPT ID, CREDE AND REDKIN. NOTHING SEEMS TO BE HELPING. IT IS ABSOLUTLEY BREAKING MY HEART.
monique odom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monique odom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2004 at 7:19pm
my hair is very thin now. at my hair line in the front it looks like i have a lot of baby hairs that go a couple of inches back. i have stopped putting it in a pony tail. my hair was in the middle of my back when i got it done. it is now at my shoulders and i am thinking of getting it cut even shorter, because it looks so thin. i have talked to different proffesionals and a dermatologist and they say there is nothing that you can do, but just wait for it to grow back. your hair usually grows about 1/2 inch a month. that is not very fast considering how long my hair was.

i am still considering the nioxin. does anyone know anything about this?

i finally got my money back plus a little more after settling with her insurance company. i was told by the chi company that a strand test is required on all straightners. she did not do a strand test on my hair. also she started the solution at my scalp and worked done. your scalp produces heat, which will make the product work more, which apparently fried my hair, because she left it on too long.

good luck.
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2004 at 11:08pm
You know before i do anything to my body I do plenty of research on it. Why do it seem like some people went in just blind?

Anytime you put something that alters your hair or body you should do as much research as possible. Usually you will find complaints and you will find people who were happy with it. Also, why wouldnt you expect hair breakage...anytime u put chemicals in your hair to alter its structure of course your hair is going to break. So if you thought about that you could have taken advance action to find ways to decrease the amount of breakage.

I would not use this process but I did look into on yahoo and when they showed the process step by step...well the process they used in china or wherever they put on so much heat...about 3 different times in the step after all of the chemicals. Shoot !!! Without the chemical all u had to do was flat iron your hair 3 times and it would be just as straight. See the pain we do to make us look l" american standard as cute" .....

Sorry to hear about your issue...but research research research. Even if you know someone from the country the stuff was created you should of asked how many people do you know there have used it? Is it common there? Have you used it was it your experience?Its not rude many people are happy to speak about their culture.
I have yet to have met anyone from china with curly hair so i do question that particular treatment. Also the people on the different sites I looked up none of the people who were getting their hair treated had straight hair...MAKES YOU SAY HMMMMM

now you have to do alot of deep conditionings basically start over. Just thought i should shine some light because these posts are getting out of hand. And if you guys take offense well don't get upset cause I spoke the truth
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2004 at 11:11pm
correcting* on the site none of the people had curly hair so how much were they really altering anyways.
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

missydoodle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missydoodle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2004 at 9:10pm
Hey gals! I was actually trying to find a salon that does this starightening system to hair because I am do for a update on it. It has been about 6 months since my friend did the farouk japanese straightner on my hair. I absolutely LOVED it. I had extremley thick hair and it was very curly as well as having been bleached. So, while it did make my hair a lot thinner - I liked it; didnt even make it any unhealthy. It was actually her first time doing it, but she did a great job. She just watched some video and made notes throughout, so I guess I got lucky that it came out so good. It really sounds like she did overprocess your hair paisleygirl. My friend that did it mentioned that leaving it on too long was a HUGE mistake and she was being EXTRA careful not to do that. If she even had the time to check back a few times then it sounds like it was on way too long. Like I said, I LOVED the straightner and I am now trying to find a salon that will do it near me(raleigh, nc). I just dont want to pay $500 or more to get it done. I was spoiled my friend that only did it for cost of product. If anyone knows where to buy the product along with an instructional video - please let me know! Thanks! And by now, I hope you hair is doing better paisleygirl! O - BTW, the hairdresser that first responded to paisleygirl - you sound very well educated on it and I would love to know where you are located to see if it is near me!
PelesGrrl View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PelesGrrl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2004 at 4:02am
i just wanted to drop a wuick note to say that my girlfriend and another hairstylist gave me the CHI treatment and used #1 (i guess there's something like 3 different kinds of formulas). they were pretty strict about the length of time that they did everything (including the washing, rinsing and conditioning) as well as being extra careful to let just my girlfriend do the flat-iron part alone while the other stylist parted my hair in sections and went in the direction of the growth of that particular section.
it's been 2 weeks so far and i've not experienced any of the scalp problems or bent hairs that you have, paisleygirl. that is horribly scary and i'm sorry it happened to you. my hair is still just as soft and shiny as the day i got it done and i still love it. (my hair was really curly!)
i use the shampoo, conditioner, keratin mist and silk infusion from the CHI line. i don't, however, use each product on a daily basis. my girlfriend told me that the keratin mist adds a lot to your hair, so once or twice a week is sufficient to "feed" your hair. i use the silk infusion every 2 or 3 days, when i wash my hair. (i live in hawaii, so i don't find much cause to wash my hair daily unless i've been in the ocean for a long time.)
i read the previous replies and thought you might want to hear from someone who liked the treatment.
aloha.
KITTEN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KITTEN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2004 at 7:23pm
Whoa... I was curious about this system, I have slightly curly hair, and I usually use irons to get it straight. The stylist I asked about this said it was completely safe and does not stress the hair at all; since I have just managed to get my hair healthy and nice again after a rather generous cut I was cauchious about trying it, not being able to beive there was a perm that didnt damage the hair at all...So I descided to research a bit, and Im glad I did! After reading this; - no chi for me!
jazzstylist View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzstylist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2004 at 11:44pm
i am quite surprised with these horror stories! i am a stylist who performs the service and i've never had a problem....i went the extra mile and had the service performed on myself and said goodbye to my curls. i can't wait to touch up my roots!

paisley,my guess is that during the flat ironing stage she probably went too close to your roots....causing the hair to be too straight/too flat...and now as your hair is growing...it is the total opposite texture which is a shock. the solution is to be applied a bit after the root and not directly on it.....it is not to be combed at all during the first stage!

as for over processing....i find it unlikely to cause "bends". it would cause dryness. "bends" are caused from the physical method it is done and not the chemical.

keep up your treatments!!!
Meganwynn View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meganwynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2004 at 9:00pm
I totally LOVE my Chi Process! Just make sure someone good does it! Mine was only 100 and she used two number twos on it because my hair is all crazy, lol
Kaname View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kaname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2004 at 3:45pm
Wow, I really wish I had known this stuff before I had it done.

I had my chi treatment done a year ago. To this day my damned hair is still breaking and it's driving me nuts. My hair is very thick, which is probably why I am not flipping out and suing her because only on very rare occasions can I actually see where clumps have come out. But every day I do my hair I look on the ground and there is a massive amount of hair that has fallen out. And that is just when I am styling it, I know it constantly falls out during the day because they catch on my arm, shirt, etc.

I went back to the girl who did my hair 3 months ago and told her I had some breaking. She looked at it and saw it as well. She recommended Nexus Keraphix Restorative Protean Creme Reconstructor. So I bought that and have been using it for 3 months and STILL everything is the same and my hair is breaking constantly.

I refuse to cut my hair because the whole reason I got this treatment was so it would be easier to grow my hair long and I wouldn't have to take an hour + to iron it. Now my hair is mid back, my goal for my hair is still another 5 inches longer than what it is now. Unfortunately I don't know if my hair will last that long, I might have to get it cut which I would really hate to do.

I'm going to start using some products that were recommended in this thread and really hope that they work. I definately do not recommend this treatment though. Too many stylist here I think are messing up on it. Anyway, thanks everyone for sharing your experiences with it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic