Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

R acrylic nails bad 4 U?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ikana82 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ikana82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: R acrylic nails bad 4 U?
    Posted: June 25 2003 at 3:51am
I've been having my nails done (acrylic) for the past two years. I get them filled every two weeks. I was just wondering if there are any health hazards to having acrylic nails for so long. Do your real nails have to "breathe?" My nail lady says that as long as I keep them up (as in, take care of them) then they will be fine. So I just wanted to make sure wheather or not I should maybe take off the acrylic every so often. I really love having my nails done, but I just don't want to worry about any health issues. Any advice will be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
Elissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2003 at 9:11am
I've been doing them for years with no problems. As long as you get them filled when you should, and you aren't allergic to the chemicals, they should be ok. When water gets inside of them (when in need of a fill), that's when fungus starts growing.

Elissa
[/url]

Jennifer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2003 at 1:32am
How often do you remove the entire acrylic nail?
ikana82 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ikana82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2003 at 12:06am
well, I used to remove them completely like every two or three months, but my nail lady says I don't need to because I take good care of my nails and all i need are back fills. Should I be taking them off after a certain period of time?
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2003 at 12:21pm
I've had them for 20 years. No problems except for the occasional fungus when I didn't get a repair quickly enough. I only get fills every three to four weeks now and replace with a completely new set every five to six months. I like the pink and white option where white acrylic is actually applied to the tips. Lasts much longer.
"It is better to look marvelous than to feel marvelous" Billy Crystal
NewOrleansLady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewOrleansLady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2003 at 10:08pm
I've worn acrylics for years and recently decided to go the natural route. I sure do miss the consistancy of acrylics, now with natural nails there is always one or two that short/broken.

As far as health issues go, I always bought my own manicure tools from the salon so that I was sure that they were only used on me.
"Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer but, wish we didn't."
dana073 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dana073 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2003 at 6:48pm
Many people don't even experience this, but I did not know this could happen and wanted to pass it on. I had wore acrylic nails solid for probably the last 2 years, but on & off for probably 10 years.

For the last 2 years I was addicted to the pink/white acrylics. I noticed that on my thumb it looked like my REAL nail was seperating from the nail bed. I went in and asked my nail salon about it, the owner runs the front desk. However, not to be rude, but none of them there hardly speak English. He said it was nothing to worry about.

I then, thankfully, mentioned it & showed it to my best friend who worked in a dermatologist office. She said I needed to remove them immediately!! Sometimes for no reason, or sometimes if you do something where the nail is constantly catching on things (which I don't remember it catching on anything) the nail will seperate from the nail bed. If you let it go too long, your real nail will NOT re-adhere back to the nail bed. Her dermatology office had a customer who they kept telling her to remove her nails because the same thing was happening to her. She ignored them and said she absolutely could not live without her acrylics. She later had to come back and have all of her finger nails surgically removed and the nail bed carterized (spelling??) to where the nails would no longer try to grow, because they would not adhere to the nail bed.

This is in no way to try to scare you, or deter you from acrylics. I myself will probably one day go back to them in the meantime I like the break. I am enjoying not having to go get them done, because for whatever reason I hate sitting there for the hour it takes to get fills! hehehe I get really ancy. :-)

I guess my soapbox is to NOT depend on your nail technician to site a problem. This is not the first time this kind of thing has happened and the technician ignored a problem. The good thing about pink/white acrylics is that you can kind of see through them and that is how I noticed the problem.
maxie View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maxie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2004 at 11:03am
my grilfriend found a fabulous product. it's an artificail nail that is specific to your own nail bed. they scan your finger to get the exact fit. then she uses a special adhesive to apply. she can take them on and off when ever she wants. no harm is doen to her natural nail, and she dosen't have to worry about infections or anything (there are no chemicals to harm you or your nails). they are amazing and look just like her nails (but better! her nails just don't grow and these are a really nice legnth)
if you want i can get you the info on them.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic