Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

how much to tip a stylist?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
purrmachine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purrmachine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: how much to tip a stylist?
    Posted: March 16 2005 at 4:37pm

Just wondering what is considered an appropriate tip for a stylist for an extensions install.    Like if I'm charged anywhere from $500-$1000, how much is normal to tip?

LauraR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LauraR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2005 at 4:52pm

I think it depends on the situation - if it's in a salon where the stylist is on commission than it's just like a waitress (10-20%)

If it is the owner or someone self employed it is typically up to you if you want to or not.

Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2005 at 4:58pm

Tipping is always such a challenge because there are sooooooooooo many variables from the quality of service you received to whether you plan on going back to that stylist again or not. 

A lot depends on whether the stylist is the owner of the salon or not.  So if the hair extension stylist does own the salon, there is never a need to tip extra.  However, if the stylist/owner had an assistant or shampoo person, you may want to tip them $5 - 20 depending on what service that they provided for you.

If the stylist is not the owner, you might ask them when they are giving you the estimate of what the extensions will cost what a suggested tip is for the service.  You might be surprised at what they will tell you.  When I have talked to hair extension experts they have told me that they are usually tipped between 5-10% on the service.  However, on a $2,000+ job, that could be quite steep.

If you don't feel comfortable asking the hair extension expert what is appropriate, you might take the owner/manager aside and ask their suggestions and whether tipping is appropriate or not for the service.

Ultimately it is whatever you feel comfortable doing. If you believe that $50 is all you can do, regardless of the total cost, then give that amount.  If $50 still busts your budget, plan to take a gift that you can give at the end of the service like home baked cookies or a nice bottle of wine. That way, you can show your thanks and still handle the costs.

Best wishes,
Karen Shelton

That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2005 at 5:30pm
I generally give a $50 tip (the service costs me $350). That come out to about 15% (I think). :)
sherrie215 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2005 at 6:20pm
I think $50 is appropriate. I know its normal to tip 15% but I think thats generally for your normal standard services that arent mounting up to hundreds and hundreds (sometimes thousands) of dollars.
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2005 at 6:22pm

Hi Sherrie,

I agree completely.  While 15% is a very good rule of thumb, some people have a hard time when the service costs more than $1,000 to do the 15%.  But it is a nice amount to shoot for if you can do it.

That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
Amanda8Beechwoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amanda8Beechwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2005 at 3:57am
Oh my word, I wish I lived in USA, we don't get tipped at all over here in UK x
zapevaj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zapevaj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2005 at 4:17am
Yeah, apparently tipping is more common in the US in general (coffee shops, restaraunts, etc). I think 15% is standard for regular salons, but I dunno if there's enough extensionists in the US to have established a standard extension tip. I've gotten tipped anywhere from nothing (I assume they didn't know to tip), to $8, to $100 (bless her heart). I think usually I'm tipped about $20-30 on a $200-300 service.

Speaking for myself...a bad tip is better than none. If nothing else, a $15 tip confirms how happy you are with the service, and that you appreciate the work done even if you can't show it as generously as you'd like. So don't stress out about it -too- much.

-Rae
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2005 at 5:03am

Oh, yeah--Americans are huge tippers compared to Europeans. Dunno why, but it's just part of the culture here. I've seen American bartenders get irate with European customers for not tipping them "enough"; that said, I also think the expectation gets a little out of hand here, too.

For most service stuff, it's 15 to 20 percent; bartenders usually get a $1 tip per drink; and cabbies usually get 20 to 30 percent tips.

But it's true: There's a cap to it. For very-high-priced salon or spa services (laser hair removal, pricey extensions), the 15 to 20 percent tip would be excessive and is not expected.

:)

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic