Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Homemade Hair Recipes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Homemade Hair Recipes
    Posted: March 16 2005 at 5:46pm
If anyone has interest in recipes, have tried to make any, or seen some interesting ones they would like to try or, would like to gain knowledge on concoctions, just post it here.

Edited by Administrator
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2005 at 5:47pm

Shealoe... haven't made it yet but did find that it is an equal amount of shea butter and aloe vera gel.

o and i found this recipe too...this one uses an emulsifier bringing the oils and liquids together.

Quote Sheaaloe.

I have tried to make sheaaloe with FOTE and it has separated. Here is something that worked for me.

1/2  cup shea butter
1/2  cup 100% aloe jelly/juice (I used Lily of the Desert)
1Tbs emulsifying wax
1Tbs honey
10-40 drops e.o.'s to your hearts content (i like ylang ylang and lavender.

Melt shea butter, honey, and wax in double boiler for 20 min.
Add aloe and e.o.'s and simmer for 3 min.
Let it cool naturally mixing with habd mixer every half hour or so. Should take a couple of hours to harden.

I think i will try making this sometime over the weekend.

Edited by cmesweet
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2005 at 5:58pm

Ok i got this from nappturality...I am going to try this this weekend also.

i'm recently in love with this from head to toe for winter 'ash season'
thick & rich body oil / hair milk
1 Tb Shea butter, melted
1/2 cup coconut oil
1/4 cup sweet almond oil
1/4 cup olive oil

Quote mix together. add fragrance. put into 8oz bottle with a disk top, b/c as it cools the mixture will thicken too much for one of those flip-spout top bottles. 

if you don't have this exact ratio of oils, the main idea is mixing a Tablespoon or two of melted shea butter into about 1 cup of liquid oil.

Natural
BC May 9, 2004

cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2005 at 6:02pm

Lip balm...from nappturality

Quote Coconut oil
Beewax (this gives it a solid form, so the more you use the more solid it would be)
Olive oil
Honey
FO (I used blueberry fragrance oil, found it at a local soap store in Norway)

Melt oils, waxes and honey. Whisk well or the honey would settle at the bottom of the jar. wink.gif Experience.

Or you can wait for it to cool and mix with a spoon or a fork. It's best to pour the oils in your container and let it cool there. Less mess

Natural
BC May 9, 2004

cebnn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cebnn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2005 at 5:32pm

Today I was messing around with some hair stuff trying to make my own custom moisturizer.Well really something to put in my hair for blowdrying So I got out my spray bottle of Infusium 23 and poured a good amount of it out. I then added John Frieda Frizease Relax Texture Correcting serum, Elasta QP Oil Recovery Moisturizer, Ginseng Miracle Wonder 8 Oil, Lustrasilk Moisture Maxx and some water. Shook it up and went to blow-dry my hair, but decided against it, because I’ve resisted about a month and a half and didn’t want to go back, so I let it air dry, and my hair has never felt softer. And to have mixed such different products the smell was great. This all was of course after a conditioner wash. I’m about 9 weeks post perm and am trying to minimize the shedding.So I've been cond washing and airdrying in a puff, and keeping my hair super mosturized. But the perm has got to be done this weekend. So I plan on going shopping for hair stuff. Saturday hopefully I can keep some money in my pocket.

Fotki updated on 10/28 address in profile
jasmine2g3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jasmine2g3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2005 at 7:47pm
where can i purchase 100% shea butter and is it okay to use on my ends without melting or will it be too hard?

My hair idol
Transitioning
Current Length:1"above bra strap-layered
Texture:3c
*~*~* Jazz*~*~*
Honeydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honeydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2005 at 7:55pm

Avocado Hair Mask

1 ripe avocado

1 tbsp honey

2 tbsp olive oil

1 tsp castor oil

Mash the avocado in a bowl and add the honey and the oils (You can substitute with any oil you wish. ) If you have a blender you can puree this or just mix until creamy. Apply to your hair wet or dry under a plastic cap, then let sit for about 20 minutes. Rinse and wash hair as normal.

http://public.fotki.com/Honeydoo
pw: bombay
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2005 at 10:49am

Originally posted by jasmine2g3 jasmine2g3 wrote:

where can i purchase 100% shea butter 

You can purchase shea butter at african markets and there are sites, just look online to compare prices. Sometimes health food stores have it, i'm not sure if its refined or unfined tho. 

Quote and is it okay to use on my ends without melting or will it be too hard?
It has a nutty scent usually, yes u can use it on.

Yes u can use it on your ends, I would rub it in my hands first tho (it melts from our body heat), or u will have white chunks on your hair.  A little goes a long way, so it won't take much for your ends.

@Honeydo, your recipes sounds good honeydoo, i really want to try it.

update...i tried making my shealoe, just a small amount. I melted a 1tbsp shea and added a 1tbsp of aloe vera gel (perchased from health store/GNC. I mixed it and then let it sit, cool off and i put it on 2 sections of hair that I braided up. My braid out is very defined, and feels moisturized.  I added it only to 2 sections because I wanted to feel the difference from the rest of my hair. Although all of my hair is soft, this feels softer and like i said is more defined. I would suggest anyone to try it, relaxed and natural.  I believe i will use it only for harsh cold winter tho, I really don't like alot of stuff in my hair.

Edited by cmesweet
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2005 at 7:22pm

Just wanted to add, if u are going to make a large batch of shealoe, and want it to last long u might want to use an emulsifier(a product that keeps oils and waters from seperating) (beeswax, borax and others that I am doing research on), after a while, if left alone it will seperate.

http://www.soapnuts.com/snspecialoils.html

Edited by cmesweet
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2005 at 10:42am

Update-

Ok i talked to someone who said instead of putting in 50/50 of the ingredient put in 60 percent of shea and 40 percent of aloe and stir with a fork, than place in fridge that way it wont seperate. I had mine for 2 days now and its just fine. 

Natural
BC May 9, 2004

QueenLinda83 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote QueenLinda83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2005 at 9:36pm

Is there a reputable site/place to buy these butters from? 

Thanks!

cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2005 at 7:14pm

There are sites they can also be found if you google it and put shea butter or essential oils in the search engine.

just to name a few

www.nasabb.com

www.fromnaturewithlove.com

Natural
BC May 9, 2004

carameldiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carameldiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2005 at 7:26pm
www.camdengrey.com is a good site to get butters from that i have used.
Me and you, your cousin and your momma too rollin on da strip on bow's
sugaplum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sugaplum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2005 at 6:11pm

Here's a really good leave-in I made:

1 cup water (distilled or purified)

1/3 cup rosewater/glycerine

4 tablespoons light conditioner (like VO5 Nourishing Oasis Honey & Almond)

1 teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil

I put all these ingrediets in aspray bottle and shake very well.  This is great and is a really good detangler.

Edited by sugaplum
100% Natural
BC - 4/21/07
Love All Gods' Creatures
sugaplum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sugaplum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2005 at 2:16pm

Here's another one for a pre-poo:

1 cup Conditioner (I use the VO5 Free Me Fressia CON)

1/2 cup honey

1/2 cup EVOO

5 capsules of Biotin Vitamin (Mine are 5,000 mcgs each-this prevents shedding)

*Optional: I add Queen Helene Cholesterol to my ends*

I cover with a plastic bag.  I leave all this on for as long as I can.  Mainly anywhere from 4 hours to overnight.  And be ready to rinse this out and feel a slip that you will not believe.  I do this once a week.

100% Natural
BC - 4/21/07
Love All Gods' Creatures
carameldiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carameldiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2005 at 3:53pm

oh if anyone is interested, someone at another website showed my an interesting link and i just purchased a gallon of shampoo concentrate, a gallon of castor oil and a gallon of conditioner concentrate. You just add water. but you can also add oil and fragance if you so desire. the website is www.thechemistrystore.com   and it's worth a look.

Me and you, your cousin and your momma too rollin on da strip on bow's
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2005 at 10:23am
Fruit Smoothie Hair Mask
Blend 1/2 a banana, 1/4 avocado, 1/4 cantaloupe, 1 tablespoon wheat germ oil and 1 tablespoon yogurt. For extra conditioning, squeeze in the contents of a vitamin E capsule. Leave in hair for 15 minutes.

Honey & Olive Oil Hair Mask
Mix 1/2 cup honey and 3 tablespoons olive oil. Work a small amount at a time through hair until coated. Cover hair with a shower cap; leave on 30 minutes. Shampoo well and rinse. 

Dandruff Treatment

Boil 7 heaping tablespoons dried thyme in 2 cups water for 10 minutes. Strain and cool. Pour 1/2 mixture over clean, damp hair. Massage into scalp, do not rinse. Use the rest of the solution another day.

Yogurt Hair Mask

Beat 1 egg white until foamy. Add to 6 tablespoons plain natural yogurt. Apply to hair in small sections at a time. Leave in for 15 minutes. Rinse.

Egg & Olive Oil Hair Mask

Mix two whole eggs with four tablespoons of olive oil. Smooth through hair. Wrap head with plastic wrap, and leave in hair for 10 minutes. Rinse well.

Conditioners
creativehomemaking

~ Mayonnaise is a great conditioner for dry hair.  Depending on the length of your hair, apply approximately 1/2 cup of mayonnaise to your dry hair. Work into hair really well and then cover your hair with a plastic bag, allowing to set for about 15 minutes. Rinse thoroughly and then shampoo as usual.

~ In a blender or food processor, combine 2 1/2 tablespoons dried milk, 1 tablespoon wheat germ oil, and 1 egg. Apply evenly to hair and let set for at least an hour. Shampoo and style as usual.

Hair Setting Lotions
creativehomemaking

~ Try dissolving a teaspoon of gelatin in a cup of warm water and use this as a setting lotion before styling hair. You can use this as a liquid or chill it and use it as a gel.

~ Dissolve 1 teaspoon sugar in 1 cup warm water and apply to damp hair before styling.

~ Combine 4 tablespoons olive oil and 2 tablespoons honey in a glass jar with a lid and shake until well blended. Let mixture sit for 3 to 4 days, and shake it occasionally. Rub mixture evenly into dry hair and wrap hair in plastic wrap, letting set for at least an hour. Shampoo as usual.

~ Mix together 2 tablespoons vegetable oil and 1 egg.  Apply to hair and let set for about an hour.  Shampoo as usual.

~ To help a flaky scalp, warm 2 to 3 tablespoons vegetable oil in the microwave (make sure it’s not too hot!) and then gently apply to scalp with cotton balls.  Let set for at least an hour and then shampoo as usual.

Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Renee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2005 at 2:18pm
does anyone know how to make rosewater? i bought some rose petals and they're soaking up the sun right now in some water. what is it supposed to look like? and how many days should i leave in under sunlight?
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2005 at 1:37pm

Is it in a jar that is closed...make sure it is tightly closed. Shake it at least once a day for 2 weeks. The color is similiar to the flowers that you placed in there. After doing that strain the roses out of the water and there u have rose water.

Natural
BC May 9, 2004

sugaplum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sugaplum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2005 at 12:39pm
Hello Ladies,

As I was searching the website for new products I will be using on my new natural, I came across the "Miss Jessie Curly Pudding." This looks wonderful...but I wish I could say that about the price!!

So I did a serch on "Miss Jessie Curly Pudding Substitute" and I came across this:
__________________________________________________ _______________

I like the curly pudding and buttercreme but they are a bit much on the pocket book considering the amount of hair I have so I made my own. I think it's nice these girls hit on some thing but It's not really any thing new. Take a look for your self. I came up with 3 products that you can buy @ walgreens for under $7 bucks and mix together for a hold b/t the buttercreme and the pudding. If you want to buy Miss Jessies for special occations or something, great, but if you need an every day solution to looking good please try this at least once.

Miss Jessie’s:

Curly Pudding : 16 oz $28ea

Water, vegetable glycerin, aloe vera gel, carbomer, tocopherol acetate, sweet alomond oil, milk protien, Vitamin E, panthenol, pectin, sweet orange oil, fragrance.

Baby Buttercreme: 16 oz $42ea

Acetylated lanolin bees wax, shea butter, cocoa butter, carbomer 940, castor oil, deionized water, dilauraralaneth15 , fragrance, glycerin, glycerin state, glyceryl hydrolyzed animal protien, imidazolidinyl,
Jojoba oil, laneth15, mineral oil, methyl, paraben , milk protien, panthenol, paraffin, peg-400, peg 100 state, petrolatum, placenta, propal paraben, triethanolamine, urea, vitamin E, wheat germ oil.

I’ve tried miss Jessie’s and I’ve made my own and mine works just the same, AND YOU CAN GET ALL THE INGREDIENCE @ SALLYS!.

PROCLAIM Curl Activator Gel 32 oz FOR $3

Water Aqua , Glycerin , Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein , Hyaluronic Acid , Panthenol , Oleth-20 , Carbomer , Triethanolamine , Benzophenone-4 , Disodium EDTA , DMDM Hydantoin Fragrance Parfum ,

COCOACARE : cocoa butter stick 1 oz $0.99ea

PROCLAIM : petrolium bees wax 4oz $2.19

HERE IS HOW YOU DO IT.

3 STICKS COCOA BUTTER

1/2 OF JAR OF BEESWAX 2oz

1 32 oz TUB CURL ACTIVATOR

Begin by taking the cocoa butter sticks and placing them in a bowl. Scoop out 1/2 jar of bees wax and place it in the same bowl. Microwave bees wax and cocoa butter until they are liquid. Use an other larger bowl to put the curl activator it. Leave some curl activator inside of the jar for later. Take liquid wax and cocoa butter and pour it into the bowl with the curl activator. Mix vigorously with a spoon. what you will first get while mixing these the two may look like cellulite but be persistant and keep mixing until the mixture looks exactly like vanilla pudding then mix in remander of activator gel in the jar.

If you do not microvave the bees wax well enough it will clump up when you add it to the cold gel activator it may bead up and not allow you to get the perfectly smooth consistancy that you want. If this happens put the whole solution in the microwave for 4 minutes then beging to mix again. after about 2 minutes of mixing add back in the curl activator you left out from before and it should begin to look like pudding.

Apply to wet hair and style using shingling process discribed @ curvesalon.com. or how ever you wish.

This recipe on one average head of hair will last for about 2 months, and costs under 10 dollars, with some bees wax left over to haddle those pesky edge naps. I hope this has been helpful and I hope it works for you.

http://naturallycurly2.com/phpBB/vi...af99a85b4ce4810
100% Natural
BC - 4/21/07
Love All Gods' Creatures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic