Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Homemade Hair Recipes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
Abimbola Olurin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abimbola Olurin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2008 at 10:42am
Hi, I'm new here too. Nice to meet you guys! I made a concoction with Jojoba oil, grapeseed oil, 5 drops of tea tree oil, 5 drops of lavender, coconut oil, and olive oil. I put it in the mane and tail spray bottle and i use it in the mornings. I've been using it for a week now and my hair feels really nice. I was wandering how long I can keep this up before I should wash it out. Can anyone help? 
blackhoney112 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackhoney112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2008 at 10:13am
Since your using all oils in your mix you will probably need to wash at the end of the week and do a deep conditioner for moisture.
Hair album
pw:Romeo
Born Kinky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Born Kinky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2008 at 9:28am
Very Simple and Effective!!!
Hair Sheen Rinse:
1 Teaspoon of Honey
4 Cups of Warm Water
Just mix the ingredients together and pour through clean hair.  Do not rinse this out and let it dry normally.  You will have a great smell and great shine.

Poetry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poetry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2008 at 5:24pm

I'm a newbie and i've been looking for homemade shampoo and conditioner recipes. I'm a teen, so my hair is very very very important to me. I've been getting relaxers and I want to keep getting them, but i also want my hair to grow longer and stronger, maybe a bit below my shoulders. Do you have any suggestions on the fastest way to grow my hair. I want to use stuff that doesn't cost much(because my parents have to buy it) and stuff that is easy to find. Please help me!

My life is poetry in motion.
stinastina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stinastina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2008 at 10:39pm
Sugalpum -

I substitute shea butter for cocoa butter and use any cheap styling gel instead of it's a black thing. It comes out great as a hair softener that holds curls.
Indian Oils & Powders: www.stinastina.ecrater.com
ShellzD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShellzD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2008 at 10:17am
hey guys! i am new as well.

I was inspired to make my own concoction:

1 oz avocado oil
2 oz jojoba oil
1 tsp Vitamin E
15-20 drops of teatree oil

The ingredients were placed in an application bottle shaken, then warmed and applied as a hot oil treatment.
After that, I read this thread, and warmed some conditioner with this oil -p experienced some beading - applied to thehair. I let it sit under a shower cap for 2 hours. I then gave 1 shampoo rinse, and put some conditioner,  again covered my hair with a shower cap then rinsed. I allowed my hair to dry over night. I slept with a satin head tie on. this morning my hair is wonderfully soft and ready to be styled.
I'm the human charged with protecting my hair
gertiles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gertiles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2008 at 12:32pm
Lemon is a natural bleach. Mix equal parts lemon juice and honey and apply to lip. Problem is you have to do it every day because it isn't as strong as the chemical bleachers you can buy. Leave on for ten to fifteen minutes. The good thing is that eventually it will inhibit the facial hair growth. Mustache will be gone!
_Princess_ View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _Princess_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2008 at 8:13pm
Good stuff...gonna try a few of these
Puff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Puff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2008 at 3:52pm

I need to find something to hold my hair in place with out the flaking of gel. I like Let's Jam, but it doesn't hold my hair after a matter of hours. I'd prefer to avoid products with chemicals, and stay closer to the natural route. Also, does that Miss Jessie's Pudding flake? I might could use that if it'll work for my twist.

Happy to be Nappy!
butterfly73 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote butterfly73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2008 at 10:22am
This site has been a true blessing to me.  In the last three years, I have made some feats of success with my hair's health and length!

Thanks to all of you women of color sharing your stories, knowledge and recipes to help others have a stronger confidence in our appearance!

ROCK ON!
Shining Always...Humbly awaiting your reply

Butterfly73
Hair Goddess View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hair Goddess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2008 at 1:29pm
I got a sample of Jessies last year.  It proceeded to take my hair out.  The last time I saw it was in my garbage.
Gldspoon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gldspoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2008 at 8:53am
Yikes HairGoddess. Sorry to hear about what happened with the product. Just goes to show that one mans gold is another  mans garbage. Hope your hair is having a good recovery.

I think the lesson to get from this is probably trying a patch test on our hair just like we'd do for our skin.
Welcome to My World! Beauty Tips for Black Women
Jaidey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaidey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2008 at 7:01am
Good afternoon, I am a Newbie and would like some information... I am from South Africa so our time zones would be totally out. Right now the time is almost 3 in the afternoon and where most of you guys are its almost 7 in the morning. My daughter has very thick EXTREMELY curly hair. As soon as I wash / wet her hair it goes all wild. Bare in mind she's only 4... and has a sister the age of 2 - her (my 2 year old) hair is still manageable because its still short. Now back to my 4 year old. Her hair is very strong and reaches about 10 fingers away from her buttocks. This makes it even harder to take care of. Heres the dillemma, I have been dabbling with thoughts of relaxer for a very long time now. Almost 8 months. I am at my wits end trying homemade remedies that dont seem to work on her extremely dry hair. Is there someone out there who can help me. Pleeeeeeease Confused I dont know where else to turn and I found this site almost by accident.
I dont SUFFER from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it
911hair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 911hair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2008 at 8:48pm
hey whatsup
I'm kinda new here :)
and I need help
I luv the homeade recipes
I'm gonna try some of them soon
mainly the hot oil one
but I'm not really sure as to how to do it
my hair isn't that bad
I just want it healthier and more volume
it is breaking off though because not too long ago i got highlights
any advice???
bl@siangirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bl@siangirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2008 at 10:44am
hey  i dont use shampoo in my hair at all i found that the SLS  were to drying and and too harsh for my hair  in stead i wash my hair with i part baking soda and 3 parts water gets all the dirt and grime off my scalp great and i rinse with 1 part apple cider vinegar  and 3 parts water makes my hair SUPER shiny:] HTH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bl@siangirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2008 at 10:50am
Originally posted by Poetry Poetry wrote:

I'm a newbie and i've been looking for homemade shampoo and conditioner recipes. I'm a teen, so my hair is very very very important to me. I've been getting relaxers and I want to keep getting them, but i also want my hair to grow longer and stronger, maybe a bit below my shoulders. Do you have any suggestions on the fastest way to grow my hair. I want to use stuff that doesn't cost much(because my parents have to buy it) and stuff that is easy to find. Please help me!

hey poetry im new too   i dont use shampoo in my hair at all i found that the SLS  were to drying and and too harsh for my hair  in stead i wash my hair with i part baking soda and 3 parts water gets all the dirt and grime off my scalp great and i rinse with 1 part apple cider vinegar  and 3 parts water makes my hair SUPER shiny:] HTH

to grow your hair excercise take vitamins massage your scalp daily mouisture your ends
i like the cantu products you can find them at walmart
911hair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 911hair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2008 at 5:51pm
hey i heard baking soda was good for your hair also
i wanna do somethin with my hair now
the rain frizzed it up
but with the baking soda..idk about apple cider
but is their any other alternative
911hair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 911hair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2008 at 8:03pm
okay so
i have the hot oil treatment in my hair
kinda skeptical about how its going to turn out
i used pure vegetable oil and baby conditioner :/
now im just waitin
anxious ta see how it will turn out

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bl@siangirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2008 at 12:29pm
Originally posted by 911hair 911hair wrote:

hey i heard baking soda was good for your hair also
i wanna do somethin with my hair now
the rain frizzed it up
but with the baking soda..idk about apple cider
but is their any other alternative

baking soda will take the grime out of your hair w/o stripping the natural oils and acv is will soften it and shine  dont worry about the smell it goes away in a min

but alternatives are beer, black tea my friend hair is using this and her hair is so much softer since has been using them

Edited by bl@siangirl - December 20 2008 at 12:36pm
911hair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 911hair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2008 at 9:57pm
oh okay
cool
is it a bad smell tho?
any kind of black tea?...(brands?)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
  Share Topic