Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

extend tubes on African American hair?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Koffee Brown View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Koffee Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: extend tubes on African American hair?
    Posted: March 16 2005 at 9:05pm
Does anyone have any suggestions for doing extend tubes extensions on African Am hair using curly texture extensions? Do the tubes stay in? How is blending? Amy issues wioth removal? 

I dodn't know if this has been covered already. I've tried searching the forum but can't find anything. If any one can tell me where to find info in the forum, let me know.  and i didn't know if I should post this in the Af. Am section or Extensions..

Edited by Koffee Brown
K-B
darthmom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darthmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2005 at 9:12pm
I would *think* that because of the texture of your hair, and the fact (I think) that your hair tends to be on the dry side, that pretty much means it would hold great. How hard is it to match the curl in your hair though? Been wondering this, since I have a friend who has the same tight curl, and interested in me doing hers....and wondered if there was an option that curly. But then again, I know you gals pretty much invented extensions  lol so I would assume so. Ok forgive my rambling....back to tipping  someone help me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Koffee Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2005 at 9:17pm
Thanks Squeeze.  I've worn fusion before and I got a  good blend w/ curly  hair. Is extend tubes done the same as fusion sort of ? I was really concerned about how the tubes would hold up or if the extension hair would slip out, and you've pretty much answered that for me. Thanks again.
K-B
darthmom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darthmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2005 at 9:37pm

Originally posted by Koffee Brown Koffee Brown wrote:

Thanks Squeeze.  I've worn fusion before and I got a  good blend w/ curly  hair. Is extend tubes done the same as fusion sort of ? I was really concerned about how the tubes would hold up or if the extension hair would slip out, and you've pretty much answered that for me. Thanks again.
No, actually the extendtubes are just simply clamped just, no glue (with the exception of the glue in the tip of course) But no heat.

here, check this out.

http://www.drlocks.net/linkiesprebond/pages/.3.htm

while not being extendtubes, they work the same as the docs linkies, this can show just how they are done.

Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2005 at 9:45pm

I've definitely heard of black women using extendtubes, and I don't see why it wouldn't work. My only concern would be that most black girls I know use oils and conditioners, which could encourage slippage, so you'd just want to keep them away from the tubes.

I'm almost certain this subject was covered on the BHM forum, under Weaves and Extensions. I think they were probably calling them microrings, which are the same thing, just a different brand, so you may want to do a search there.

Good luck! :)

mslizz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mslizz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2005 at 9:51pm
Hi, I'm new here like you and I'm African American. My hair texture is very thin, wavy and dry. I put some extend tubes in my hair this past weekend and they are fabulous! It took about two days but it's worth it. I can wear my hair in more styles than I could with the glue or sewn in methods. As far as the texture blending, I used Bohyme hair and I pressed my own hair and I even used a little pommade and still none have slipped, but it's only been a few days. If you don't wanna press your hair Bohyme makes really natural looking wavy and curly texured hair. I'm going to remove them shortly because I want more length so I'll let you know how that goes.  
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2005 at 10:01pm

Welcome MsLizz,

I'm glad to hear you're liking your extendtubes. There are a few tips here for removal; it can be a bit tricky, but once you get it down, it's second-nature. I do think it's easier with the larger tubes than the smaller ones, though. The consensus seems to be that the key--and Sherrie pointed this out a while ago--is to clamp them open just until they give. If you apply too much pressure with the ridged pliers or the ring opener, they'll just close back in on themselves.

What kind of Bohyme are you using? I know they offer a ton of textures.

Again, welcome! :)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Koffee Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2005 at 10:09pm
Thanks everybody! Especially  MsLizz.. That is just the info i wanted to hear.  Have you ever worn fusion MsLizz? Do you like the tubes better than that?
Thanks Jenny. I'll be careful w/ the oils. I'm off to order some tubes from hairpiece.com. 
K-B

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Koffee Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2005 at 10:24pm
 what sizes extendtubes should I order? I kow the small ones are for perimeter and part area; what about medium? I think i'll just get 250 of each size. ?
K-B

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Koffee Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2005 at 10:30pm
Originally posted by mslizz mslizz wrote:

As far as the texture blending, I used Bohyme hair and I pressed my own hair and I even used a little pommade and still none have slipped, but it's only been a few days. 

Mslizz: is your hair unrelaxed? I guess it is since you said u pressed it. What texture of Bohyme do you use to blend w/ pressed hair? Thanks.
K-B
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2005 at 10:40pm

I think i'll just get 250 of each size. ?

Yeah, that'd be more than enough. You'll probably only be able to fit 400 to 500 on your head (and that's if you use smalls and mediums and do the entire head up to the part; a lot of people use closer to 200 for a whole head), but having all three sizes will give you the flexibility of putting the amount of hair you want where you want it. Those small ones are awesome for the visible areas, but they're maddeningly small. Are you making your own pretips? If so, you might want to wait till you get the tubes so you can gauge the sizes you'll need (it's hard to estimate without having the tubes in front of you).

mslizz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mslizz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2005 at 10:43pm
Originally posted by Jenny_RR Jenny_RR wrote:

Welcome MsLizz,

I'm glad to hear you're liking your extendtubes. There are a few tips here for removal; it can be a bit tricky, but once you get it down, it's second-nature. I do think it's easier with the larger tubes than the smaller ones, though. The consensus seems to be that the key--and Sherrie pointed this out a while ago--is to clamp them open just until they give. If you apply too much pressure with the ridged pliers or the ring opener, they'll just close back in on themselves.

Thanks for the welcome! I just want to tell you that you are soo helpful and you know so much that I can't believe that you're not a pro. You're like the extension Guru! Having said that, I used the Velvet Lustre texture or something like that. I really like this hair, but I might try the hisandher perm straight. Also I figure if it takes me almost two days to put them in, I'll start on a Tuesday so that they'll be out by Friday. Can you use regular ridged pliers or do you have have buy the special openers?

Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2005 at 10:50pm

Haha--most definitely not a guru, just totally hair-obsessed.

I don't have the ring openers myself, but I've heard they make the removal a little easier. It's definitely a good investment if you intend to stick with the method for a while (I saw them somewhere--maybe hairpiece.com or hisandher--for $12 not long ago). That said, I think the ridged pliers work fine. Some of the girls have said that it's best to use pliers with a spring handle (I assume it's easier on your hands).

:)

mslizz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mslizz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2005 at 10:53pm

Thanks everybody! Especially  MsLizz.. That is just the info i wanted to hear.  Have you ever worn fusion MsLizz? Do you like the tubes better than that?
Thanks Jenny. I'll be careful w/ the oils. I'm off to order some tubes from hairpiece.com. 

Glad to help!I did try the fusion hair, but it was a pain to take out myself and to me the flattened extentubes are more comfortable. I see your posts below and I think I used about 350-375 medium sized tubes with about 8oz of hair that I hair I had pre tipped , but my hair is very thin. You might not need as much.My hair is relaxed but I always have to press it a bit anyway. Also, when I do my next application I might order the small tubes for the hairline just so that I'm secure that they won't be really detectable. Do you know what kind of hair you are buying?  

Edited by mslizz
mslizz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mslizz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2005 at 10:57pm
Thanks Jenny...The opener things are like thirty bucks and I'm so cheap but I guess I'll buy them. Thanks again
Syren123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syren123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2005 at 11:49pm
Originally posted by mslizz mslizz wrote:

Thanks Jenny...The opener things are like thirty bucks and I'm so cheap but I guess I'll buy them. Thanks again

NOOOOO! You don't need to fork over 30 bucks for the opener! I went to the hardware store and got a pair of pliers with ridges almost exactly like the $30 ones for $4.50 - and mine has rubber padded grips! I also got the smooth nose pliers for closing the tubes - also $4.50.
zapevaj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zapevaj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2005 at 4:32am
Actually, hisandher.com has the openers for $12. They're under "Ring-X extensions".

I used ridged pliers for a while, but after a few crushed rings that I had to use aviation metal snips on (cut the ring down the side and slid the hair out)...I bought the opneners.

-Rae
Bridget View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bridget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2005 at 8:01am

I am about to do extensions on my friend and she is A.A.  I was contiplating extendtubes vs. shrinkies.  What's your take on shrinkies w/ AA hair?

Jenny, you're so right about waiting to do the tips until you actually have the tubes!  I have med. size tubes and even those are tiny winy!

good find at the hard ware store syren! 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Koffee Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2005 at 1:13pm
Originally posted by Jenny_RR Jenny_RR wrote:

Are you making your own pretips? If so, you might want to wait till you get the tubes so you can gauge the sizes you'll need (it's hard to estimate without having the tubes in front of you).

Definitely! Jenny. I'd wait til i got the tubes. I think I'm going to be tipping NGirl and Bliss hairs.

K-B

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Koffee Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2005 at 1:15pm
DELETED double post

Edited by Koffee Brown
K-B
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic