Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bi-Racial frizzy hair.. HELP!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
jessnkaylee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jessnkaylee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bi-Racial frizzy hair.. HELP!!!
    Posted: March 20 2005 at 3:18pm

I have a 2 1/2 year old daughter who is part white/black.  She has the worst hair!!!!!  Its very short, it just seems like it won't grow.  I have tried everything that I can think of and can afford!!! The two latest things are Matrix Curl.Life Shampoo and Conditioner and Contouring Milk Cream... That seems to work for about 2 hours and then its right back to a mini fro.  I have also tried Redken Fresh Curls, nope doesnt do anything... I have tried Frizz-Ease and that seems to make it worse...I am just at a loss of what else to do for her hair... Any help would great... Thanks!!!

Jessica

cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2005 at 10:50am

I'm sure her hair is growing, hair constantly grows. If it is in tight curls u won't be able to tell because of shrinkage.  Tight coils shrink when it dries but if u stretch it, (gently pull on the hair with her finger) u can see its true length. 

I hope you aren't telling your child that she has "the worst hair". Remember your child is a reflection of you and her father, and anything that u are saying negative things about such as characteristics, she will grow up hating them and it shows how u feel about yourself/father.

You should go to the site called www.motowngirl.com....I would suggest that you look into the plopping technique(a way to dry the hair without frizz) and conditioner wash technique and other ways to clarify your daughters hair. It's a very informative site, all hair is good hair, nothing bad about it, just the person taking care of it. 

Natural
BC May 9, 2004

DianeLuvsMunky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DianeLuvsMunky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2005 at 4:27pm
I completly agree with Cmesweet.

I too am racially mixed with some "Crazy" hair, but I still love it, it's mine.

I can't really help with the hair growth, but seeing how her hair reacted bad to Frizz Ease, maybe she's one of those people who don't react well to silicones. Same for me.
I have been using hair products with no silicone in them and my hair is actually less frizzy now. I then use olive oil to keep my hair smooth. Olive oil works for me but I've never tried any other oil so try them out if olive oil isnt your thing.

Now she's only 2 1/2 , don't freak out about her hair, she isnt worried about it. Her hair will also most likely change as she ages.
You can also try taking her to a salon that specializes in her hair texture, and you can learn some stuff there.

And if all else fails, just gel her hair and make small ponytails.

Edited by DianeLuvsMunky
chgurlsng View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chgurlsng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2005 at 8:03am
The best thing that I've found to do with my curly hair is to not use shampoo.  Never, zip, zilch.  The detergent in the shampoo clings to hair making it much frizzier than normal.  Also get the most hydrating conditioner you can find.  Don't blow dry her hair unless you use a diffuser on cool setting and try using a clear gel that does not have any alchohol.
www.ylcf.org has an entire link dedicated to curly hair and there is a product list of stuff to try on there.  It's great because it doesn't take long to read but is very informative/affordable.
One of the other girls said to go to motown.com and it's a great site, but I couldn't get it to come up via the link she posted.
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2005 at 11:26am

Opps sorry about that...

www.motowngirl.com

Natural
BC May 9, 2004

LauraR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LauraR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2005 at 11:40am

My daughter is 14 months and is also half black, she has a FULL afro!  It's very curly (not kinky) and long but the longer it gets the tighter the curls and the more it knots up. I use Pink Oil Lotion and a Olive Oil or Carrot Oil.  They also have an Afropride Growcomplex that works pretty good.  Or you can always braid it!, or likt Diane said...ponytails.  I think they key to it is keeping it hydrated so it doesn't break off, which is a common problem for this kind of hair.

Good luck

noodlesnspam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noodlesnspam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2005 at 12:12pm
www.pureology.com superstraight shampoo and conditioner.
blackmajik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackmajik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2005 at 1:17am

My daughter has crazy hair too! She is 14 now and it only got worse. You should just use conditioners that are light, and reapply them every few hours. My daughter had uncomable hair untill I started using Naturalaxer. She has still has curly hair, but it is a lot flatter, and tangle free now. I can style it with a hot comb to make pretty waves. I do not recommend the Naturalaxer for a baby or small child, because it does burn like regular relaxers. It does not burn your hair, it makes your skin burn.  

My daughter has hair that is similar to island Hispanic people. Imagine a curly haired girl riding with her wet head hanging out of a 100 mile an hour moving vehicle for a cross country road trip, and you have my daughter's hair every day. She has porous hair like white people, and very dense hair like Africans, she has hair so curly that it shrinks to a bead, right beside hair that grows straight. I have never found a traditional relaxer that makes her hair pretty, but I have found some products that are helpful.

Describe the type of hair your daughter has and I may be able to suggest a few products that work for me. One must have for my daughter is PhytoBaume conditioner, available at upscale department stores and online at hairboutique.com. This is a very good conditioner, it is unlike anything available at Wal Mart type stores, or salons. The Phyto shampoos are also very good. The products are expensive, but the lasting conditioning they provide is worth the money. Do not waste your money on the Phyto Defrissant, it makes hair soft, but it leaves a terrible residue in the hair that looks gummy and clumpy. I use Proclaim glosser available at Sally's, and Lustre's Pink glosser available at Family Dollar. They work well, but they do evaoporate after a few hours, just reapply. The glossers are sprays, and they do not have alcohol or anything sticky, just oils, but they do not make the hair get curlier like some grease products.  

Check out the ingredients in the leave in conditioners, never buy anything with alcohol, it will make dry hair worse.

Edited by blackmajik
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2005 at 10:35am

You need to teach your children how to accept their hair and work with it. Changing the texture does nothing but make them think negative thoughts about some of their features. I'm sure all the young girls have beautiful and unique hair. I am natural, an African American, my hair shrinks when dry. There are ways to work with the hair

1) Detangle your fingers or a WIDETOOTH COMB, making sure there is  conditioner for slippage

2) Wash hair in sections...its easy to braid each section and detangle with the widetooth comb in sections

3)comb only when wet

4) Make sure to moisturize hair, and it does not have to be damp or wet that is not what moisturize means

a naturalaxer is a relaxer just with a different name. Yeah there are probably some ingredients that are natural but mixing with your hair to cause the bonds of your hair to break and become less like your actual texture...is a chemical reaction.

Nothing is wrong with a full Afro, by the way, thats just how the hair grows and i'm rocking a  full Afro right now. and loving it.

Edited by cmesweet
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Sweetcandicurlz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sweetcandicurlz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2005 at 1:27pm
I am also mixed and yeah, there are many promlems haveing curly hair. I am half black and half mexican and I am always looking for just the right shampoos and conditioner for my hair. My mom recently took me to a hair salon and the lady who did my hair told me about this really great shampoo called "Cream of Nature". It is one of the best shampoos I've ever tried at a very reasonable price.
I occasionally try out different leave in conditioners to see which ones work the best. Sometimes you just have to be patient in trying new conditioners because it takes time to see what will work best with your hair. Some of the conditioners that I have tried that have worked pretty good are "Parnevu Leave in conditioner", "Lusters Pink Oil Moisturizer" and I just recently bought this new leave in conditioner called "Cantu Shea Butter" and I've only been using it for a couple of days but it's been working really, really,really good. It's probably one of the best conditioners I've used yet.
Well anyways, my hair grows slow also, and I mean very slow, but I know that it does grow, it's just kinda' hard to tell because curly hair does shrink up. But you know I used to didn't like my curls because they were so hard to deal with and not very many people have it, all my life people have told me that they wished they had curly hair and most people think it's prettier than just straight hair, so know I have learned to love my hair because it's unique and it's a part of me, even though it can be hard to handle. Another thing that has also helped me are hot oil treatments. I also don't recommed brushing hair while it's dry. Gels, mousses and things like that are not very good for hair like ours. It will usually make hair break more and it gives no kind of moisture or oils for the hair. But like I said this new "Cantu Shea Butter" is really working and it moisturizes my hair without leaving it greasy.
I love chocolate and monkeys!!I'm the sweetest peanutbutter cup chica you'll ever want to meet! love, hugs, and kisses.
hairfitness101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairfitness101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2005 at 11:58am

Hello all. I am a fellow curly and have fought with my hair all my life. Mostly straightening and that sort of thing but I have evolved and wear it natural now.

I want to tell you all that I think I have found hair-utopia, I have been told many times that there is no perfect shampoo,blah blah blah. Well.... I just started using Aubrey Organics Jay shampoo and conditioner,mainly because of itchy scalp problems and my ends always look frizzy(something like carrot top!)

Anyway, with repeated use, it just keeps getting better and better. My scalp has never felt so calm and nourished. NOt alot of suds but just enough,especially if i wash a second time  but really not necessary.The stuff that makes all that suds is also what dries out the hair and scalp.Anyway, I tried the conditioner before washing and "only after washing" both ways were wonderful, I also bought the Aubrey Organics moisturizing jelly(says Mandarin Magic)on the bottle. This stuff is awesome for frizzy ends, a little goes a long way, it says to use it while you have damp hair but i prefer it after my hair is completely dry-i have such fine hair,it just feels better this way)it makes me ends calm and you can see the shine and waves in my hair without all the frizz,its great!!!

And better yet,its all organic,no parabens,no sulfates,no chemical,no animal testing and its cheaper than some of the products that i have used but worth every penny. Check out their website! I want to try their facial products and cosmetics next!! I tried some other so called natural products last year and i was soured on the whole "no sulfate" thing until i was desperate to relieve my dry scalp, this stuff is great. And not heavy at all.

Smells a little medicinal-not like Aveda though,and once hair is dry, it just smells fresh and clean,not sickenly sweet or like a med cabinet or anything,like i felt with the Aveda-did not like that at all.They have detanglers , i might try the Camelia one,I didnt like the smell of the primrose one,but my hair hasent needed a detangler since using this product with the jelly. Even with the wind and weather.GREat Great Great stuff.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sweetcandicurlz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2005 at 5:44pm
This is for "hairfitness 101" you never told us what the website was. All you said was "Check out their website!" and that's all you said. Hope you'll tell us soon. Thanks bunches!!!    
I love chocolate and monkeys!!I'm the sweetest peanutbutter cup chica you'll ever want to meet! love, hugs, and kisses.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairfitness101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2005 at 9:18pm
 Hello again, I'm sorry, I assumed that everyone would think it was www.aubrey-organics.com ,but you know what they say when you "assume"? I tend to be a little wordy so i didnt want to be redundant. There is a hyphen in the addie, as you can see above so if you need to type it in, you'll know. I hope you all have great results like I have had with the Aubrey line. I'm very impressed and I usually know right away or by the 3rd wash if i like something or not. This one just keeps getting better. I can't believe the shine and no build up.!  They also have a honeysuckle rose line and an island ? line, if you like sweeter smells, but the Jay line is great!!!! (it stands for Jojoba,aloe,and yukka)
curliegirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote curliegirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2005 at 1:58am
Ok, first off, shes 2. dont put products in it at her age!! it will only make her hair damaged. Im sure you are worried about the way it looks but please, dont put products in it, thats the worst thing you could ever do to it. Let it grow. I am puerto rican and philipino, i have tight tight spiral curls. when you ahve curly hair it doesnt grow as fast. when i was little my mom used to think that somthing was wrong becasue my hair wouldnt grow, so this is quite normal. so things that might help you with her hair with out using produsts i can help with. first off NEVER BRUSH IT!! all it does is make it worse. while shes in the bath and her hair is wet with conditioner in it take a wide tooth comb and brush it through so theres no tangles, rinse and then after she gets out dont towel dry it. towel driying creats frizz, put some leave in conditioner in it and letit air dry. be sure to let her know to not touch her hair, casue it will make it frizzy. again please dont experament with products on her hair they can make it extremly unhealthy and unruley, get her started on things when she gets to be about 10, and dont let her chemically treat it when she gets older, everyone im my family has done that to thier hair and it looks like witch hair now. i hope that helped alittle.  
LauraR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LauraR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2005 at 10:18am

Curliegirl - Do you have kids?

Easy for you to say to tell a 2 yr old not to touch their hair........(she's 2!!) and there is a difference between curly and frizzy. I don't think that NOT brushing is the problem, you just have to make sure that the hair is wet when you comb it out. To never brush would never work (for my daughter at least).  I have to comb her hair twice a day, morning and night. otherwise she grows her own little dreads. You have to remember we are talking about a toddler here.  My daughter's hair is curly, kinky and frizzy all at once and the key for me has been combing it out with a baby detangler, and as far as the no product advice... I did try that but her hair is so dry that that only causes brakeage. You have to moisturize it to control the dryness and the frizz.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sweetcandicurlz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2005 at 11:29am
LauaraR is right, you have to brush the hair, but only when wet, never ever when it's dry b/c that just causes more frizz and breakage. And it's ok to put something like that detangler she was talking about b/c she might be to you young to use just regular leave in conditioners, but in in order to keep her hair moisturized it does need something in it. Even if you just put a little, little bit of leave in conditioner would help and probably wouldn't hurt. And it is ok, when she gets older, to start trying new conditioners b/c you eventually have to find something that is good for her hair.    

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairfitness101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2005 at 11:37am
I have a two year old daughter as well and if i dont use a detangler and a leave-in, its just murder combing it out in the morning. Especially if my husband lets her have PB&J and doesnt put up her hair first!(I go to school nights)Even with the detangler,I have to run after her to get her to sit still,but thats another issue entirely. She likes my seamless bone comb and my phillips bb brush made for fine hair(we use it dry though),its very soft-its more of a polisher in my opinion but it helps distribute the oils to keep it moisturized. I think its okay to use products as long as its all natural. I always try her products in my hair first, if i dont like it,it doesnt go on her head or skin.And i dont use hairspray on me so i dont use it on her either, i put hers in pony's alot to control it.
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2005 at 3:42pm
As long as she keeps the hair moisturized...she can keep it in protective styles. She is only 2 so she will be a busy child, braid it up and you are finished for a few days atleast, to the next wash.  I'm sure she is a cutie. What I would like to know is where is the mom, she hasn't responded
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Layla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Layla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2005 at 12:26pm
What is a good way to keep the hair moisturized? I have a 2-1/2 year old niece. She's getting locks but you have to moisturize those too right?
Type: 3c/4a Natural
Current Length: 6"
Goal: Healthy, tip of nose /neck/shoulder length hair.
BC: 02/08/06

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairfitness101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2005 at 12:40pm
Well, i think it depends on the persons hair, texture and if its chemically treated and all. I personally use Mandarin Magic moisturizing jelly by Aubrey Organics( as i mentioned above) but i read on a different site about people using pure aloe vera gel both for hair and scalp, not the stuff for sunburn relief, this stuff should be clear and totally pure-atleast thats what i read, i heard you can get it at Walmart- i think its by nature way or nature valley or something. THis weekend i plan on getting some to try it myself,I suffer with Excema over the winter months and its getting better now since switching to A.O.,thought I'd try it for my scalp mostly. i heard it can be a great sun screen too.Atleast its all natural.Its not a detangler but it sounds like a good leave-in. The AO, i really like though, nice light orange scent-you can barely smell it but its very nice and light feel.Adds shine.Has ginseng and some other things in it.No chemicals at all.You can get it at healthfood stores.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic