Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hair Advice for Our Newbies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 12>
Author
canopy44 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canopy44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2005 at 11:06am

Hey guys, I'm hoping somebody can help me out. I've added a lot of moisture to my hair routine and it's finally settling down. But, I think I may be missing something -- maybe protein or a hot oil treatment? - because I've noticed lots of shedding lately. This is my plan:

wash hair 1x-2x a week. shampoo: Vo5 Hydrators Shampoo. conditioner: rotate between VO5 Moisture Milks, VO5 Hydrators Conditioner, Suave Humectant

shea butter on hair, especially ends, daily

salerm 21, daily (but thinking about doing it 2x a day).

My hair feels soft, but there's just more hair coming out than I would like. Also, would you suggest that I put products (like my shea butter) directly on my scalp? My scalp doesn't feel itchy or dry but I'm sure it could something. Thanks!

Everythin_Nice View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Everythin_Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2005 at 7:14pm
maybe you need a trim or a good deep conditon or even a protein treatment
collcoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote collcoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2005 at 10:59pm
thanks for the advice guys i am now using a sew in weave until i achieve my hair goal of bra strap length. i am now shoulder length,
IloveRob   

NixxNixx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NixxNixx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2005 at 11:00pm

Organic Olive and Clove Therapy I use a little on my slap and hair along with kerakare leave in conditioner after I wash my hair.

Hair Glo is great for the scalp and when doing scalp massages.  Especially after washing hair and the pores in the scalp are open it tingles even more and it feels great.  Feels like its really stimulating the scalp. 

BOTH of these products have all natural ingredients and it feels great.

I started drinking liquid calcium and hemp protein powder mixed in my water and in my juice. 

I will now try to start drinking way more water along with eating more vegetables and fruits.

I want my hair to grow and it is definitely getting there.  Hope my tips can help someone

blackhoney112 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackhoney112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2005 at 3:01pm
Wow I was the total opposite I was cool with my hair oils and everything but the thing that was missing was the moisture but now I am using NTM. I would suggest using a protein treatment to strengthen your hair and stop breakage. I haven't tried it but Aphogee is popular, I used a protein shampoo Queene Helene's Placenta Conditioning shampoo and that is wonderful, and although Bumble and bumble's Deep is really more of a moisturizing mask it does help with breakage and it doesn't make your hair hard. I wouldn't suggest putting shea butter on your scalp unless your doing that as part of a pre-poo, because shea butter is pretty heavy. If you want a natural oil to use on your scalp daily I would suggest jojoba oil because it will absorb quicker and it will help your hair grow. Hope that helps, good luck!

Originally posted by canopy44 canopy44 wrote:

<FONT face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" color=#cc3399>Hey guys, I'm hoping somebody can help me out. I've added a lot of moisture to my hair routine and it's finally settling down. But, I think I may be missing something -- maybe protein or a hot oil treatment? - because I've noticed lots of shedding lately.

Also, would you suggest that I put products (like my shea butter) directly on my scalp? My scalp doesn't feel itchy or dry but I'm sure it could something. Thanks!

Hair album
pw:Romeo
princess8907 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princess8907 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2005 at 12:20pm
Im a newbie, and I had to cut my hair to the top of my neck in Dec.04 because it was damaged from getting flat ironed so much during band camp.  Its now to my shoulder blades and always wear it up moisture soaked clothbands, and a clip, press it once a week, always wear a cap in the sun to avoid heat damage and sweating it out, get my ends clipped every 4 week and I no longer see a stylist (perms cause my hair to dry out and break off).I drink only water.  Its really selfcare that the hair and body needs.  Im a high school junior, and hopefully by senior picture time (june), itll, be to the middle of my back if I take good care of it and myself.
LIL J View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LIL J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2005 at 11:35pm
maybe
homie if u keep on brushing you will be spinning lyke twista
dubby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dubby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2005 at 3:17pm

Hey girls!

Hope everything is going well for you guys. As you can see I am a newbie to hairboutique and I am on a quest to get some no nonsense advice about getting a weave. I am not the type that gets my hair done. I wash, grease, and braid my very natural and very stubborn and kinky hair but I want a totally new look now. This look will be extreme for me because I usually dont get my hair done and dont know anything about anything-- and I mean that.

Anyway here is my situation. As mentioned before my hair is natural and I have the type of hair that doesnt take to relaxers without a fight. Last time I relaxed my hair, at home, a chunk in the back just fell out. That having been said, I am afraid to relax my hair. Honestly I dont really want to. Which is why I am researching how I can have those really cute hair styles, that are weaved without having to perm my considerably short, but not that short hair. (I can put it in a pony tail). I have seen some of those styles where the hair is braided and the extensions are swen into them but I dont really like that style because I dont want my hair to look like I am wearing a wig. Also I want bangs and I dont want to have to be a hair expert in order to keep it looking nice and fresh for a couple months. Add to that, I am a pretty active girl who works out everyday and doesnt really have the time to be sitting up for hours doing my hair.

Any advice? I know I am a mess.

princess8907 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princess8907 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2006 at 9:14pm
dubby, just exactly how long is your hair? Maybe I can help with the styles thing
4b-natural,shoulder blade length,hair goal of to my bra strap

dubby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dubby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2006 at 11:31pm

Hi Princess,

Thanks for the response. Well my hair is weird. It is longer in the front and shorter in the very back. Infact tonight I just pressed like a row of my hair near my ear and it was maybe to my jaw. The back is considerably shorter than the front although I can braid it in cronrows. I dont plan on getting my hair done until this summer so imagine that it would have grown somewhat by then.

Right now I just want to get my hair into good condition. I am very interested in "lacing" or I think that is what they call it. Also, as I mentioned above, I would like to have it sewn in to my hair which I really really want to keep natural. I suppose price isnt an issue for me. I am willing to spend atleast $250 and at most $300.

Thanks.

longido View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote longido Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2006 at 11:13am
Originally posted by Honeydoo Honeydoo wrote:

I thought it would be nice to have a thread for all the new members that come here in search for hair tips. We can pass on the hair advice we received that has helped us achieve (and to continue to achieve) healthier hair.

My learning process was slow, but once I saw results, I was hooked and thristy to learn more. My hair benefitted from it. First, let me tell you what my hair was like, BEFORE I began taking good care of it:

As a child my hair was always healthy and shiny and even through high school, even though I used 'grease' on my scalp, washed my hair every two weeks, and never really moisturized it. (I thought moisture was oiling my hair) But I started to hot comb it when it was relaxed and curl it on occasion. The salons I went to were not very informative on hair care and just went when my hair began to look bad only to repeat the same destructive process. Then two years ago it was starting to feel like straw and coming out in clumps. (If you could have seen pictures, you would cry for me.) Then I decided to do some research and take care of my hair better. I had to make the brave decision to cut my hair even. I went to the salon and balled like a baby because my hair was sooo damaged it had to be cut up to 1 inch in the back and up to my ear in the front so I had a bob. I had never had my hair shorter than shoulder length so it was quite a shock. But this hair dresser helped me out alot and gave me good info to start with. I got alot of compliments about the cut too. So this is the hair advice I live on now:

1. I try to avoid products with mineral oil and petroleum. If I can't fully avoid it, Ill find a product that has this as one of the last ingredients.

2. I keep my ends protected at all times. When I do wear my hair out, I make sure I'm wearing a hair friendly top and I keep it well moisturized.

3. Moisture, Moisture, Moisture!!! Different from hair oil and mandatory for healthy hair. I moisturize my hair a couple times a day.

4. No Hot Comb on relaxed hair. A big NO NO!! I learned this the hard way. (My mom still does it!)

5. Make sure to use protein in your hair once in a while. While moisture is good, you also need to strengthen your hair. A good protein treatment or protein conditioner is good to use once a month or every 2 weeks. (Some use it more but remember to use a moisturizing conditioner afterwards. Protein has the tendency to make your hair hard.)

6. Drink more water, less of the sweet stuff. I never was a soda drinker (or 'pop'depending on where you are from), but water is tons better for not only your hair but your whole body. Adding more fresh fruits and veggies helps too, not too mention beans, eggs, and whole grains.

7. Exercise. It gets the blood circulating all over. And you might as well look as good as your hair!!

8. Trim your hair on a as-needed basis. Some trim every 8 weeks like clockwork, but if my ends are still in tact, I keep them protected and hold off until they do need them.

9.Less heat, more washing. I've found that if I rollerset my hair and sit under a dryer, I have less breakage. But if you can avoid heat all together your hair will thank you for it. I also wash 2 times a week now and my scalp feels alot better.

10. Comb from the ends to the roots for less breakage.

These are a few tips that were passed on to me when I first started getting my hair together. I hope it helps all of you the way it has helped me. Sorry this is so long but I wanted to share all of this with everyone. Happy Hair!!!

lmk
longido View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote longido Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2006 at 11:16am
Originally posted by Honeydoo Honeydoo wrote:

I thought it would be nice to have a thread for all the new members that come here in search for hair tips. We can pass on the hair advice we received that has helped us achieve (and to continue to achieve) healthier hair.

My learning process was slow, but once I saw results, I was hooked and thristy to learn more. My hair benefitted from it. First, let me tell you what my hair was like, BEFORE I began taking good care of it:

As a child my hair was always healthy and shiny and even through high school, even though I used 'grease' on my scalp, washed my hair every two weeks, and never really moisturized it. (I thought moisture was oiling my hair) But I started to hot comb it when it was relaxed and curl it on occasion. The salons I went to were not very informative on hair care and just went when my hair began to look bad only to repeat the same destructive process. Then two years ago it was starting to feel like straw and coming out in clumps. (If you could have seen pictures, you would cry for me.) Then I decided to do some research and take care of my hair better. I had to make the brave decision to cut my hair even. I went to the salon and balled like a baby because my hair was sooo damaged it had to be cut up to 1 inch in the back and up to my ear in the front so I had a bob. I had never had my hair shorter than shoulder length so it was quite a shock. But this hair dresser helped me out alot and gave me good info to start with. I got alot of compliments about the cut too. So this is the hair advice I live on now:

1. I try to avoid products with mineral oil and petroleum. If I can't fully avoid it, Ill find a product that has this as one of the last ingredients.

2. I keep my ends protected at all times. When I do wear my hair out, I make sure I'm wearing a hair friendly top and I keep it well moisturized.

3. Moisture, Moisture, Moisture!!! Different from hair oil and mandatory for healthy hair. I moisturize my hair a couple times a day.

4. No Hot Comb on relaxed hair. A big NO NO!! I learned this the hard way. (My mom still does it!)

5. Make sure to use protein in your hair once in a while. While moisture is good, you also need to strengthen your hair. A good protein treatment or protein conditioner is good to use once a month or every 2 weeks. (Some use it more but remember to use a moisturizing conditioner afterwards. Protein has the tendency to make your hair hard.)

6. Drink more water, less of the sweet stuff. I never was a soda drinker (or 'pop'depending on where you are from), but water is tons better for not only your hair but your whole body. Adding more fresh fruits and veggies helps too, not too mention beans, eggs, and whole grains.

7. Exercise. It gets the blood circulating all over. And you might as well look as good as your hair!!

8. Trim your hair on a as-needed basis. Some trim every 8 weeks like clockwork, but if my ends are still in tact, I keep them protected and hold off until they do need them.

9.Less heat, more washing. I've found that if I rollerset my hair and sit under a dryer, I have less breakage. But if you can avoid heat all together your hair will thank you for it. I also wash 2 times a week now and my scalp feels alot better.

10. Comb from the ends to the roots for less breakage.

These are a few tips that were passed on to me when I first started getting my hair together. I hope it helps all of you the way it has helped me. Sorry this is so long but I wanted to share all of this with everyone. Happy Hair!!!

what hair moisturiser should i use? i have fine thin hair that grows and breaks.

lmk
longido View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote longido Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2006 at 8:07am
Honeydo wrote 'moisturize, mosturize---' this is different from oil. What moisturizer should i use? my hair is thin and fine and breaks easily. I have began using jojoba oil because i read it is good for fine hair, olive oil seems to have boken my hair. How should i use jojoba oil and what moisturizer should i use. I need your help.
lmk
carameldiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carameldiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2006 at 10:43am

Longido- you can make your own moisturizer. i am natural- i made a homeade spritz which consists of a lil glycerin, liquid aloe vera, water, a lil eo and a few squirts of honey- works great. You could also purchas e care free curl instant moisturizer at the grocery store. Hope this helps.

Me and you, your cousin and your momma too rollin on da strip on bow's
longido View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote longido Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2006 at 11:47am
Thank you carameldiva, where can i buy all these? Some years back i used to use hair glo, is it also a moisturizer? By the way my hair is natural and just recovering from near bold breakage after breastfeeding for a long time.  What else can i use to encourage growth and make it full on the head, currently it is scanty at the back. I need your help badly i can hardly go out of the house
lmk
carameldiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carameldiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2006 at 5:55pm
i get glycerin(you can get this from your walmart pharmacist or cvs pharmacist) or you can purchase online from www.camdengrey.com which is also where i got the liquid aloe vera(can be substituted with fruit of the earth aloe vera juice which is drinkable and purchased at walmart or cvs). You can also add a lil honey, lil aloe juice, lil glycerin to your shampoos and conditioners/ Deep conditioners. Works great for me. I oil my hair every nite and co wash in the a.m.( i air dry and spritz with homemade spritz and surge or infusium 23 leavein or 911 ememergency leave in for dry hair)- oils that i am currently loving palm oil, coconut oil, pomace b olive oil and castor oil (www.thechemistrystore.com) After oiling- i put a thin plastic cap on my head and a satin scarf. I shampoo/condition/deep condition (1-2 times a week) i also prepoo with castor oil- thickens your hair/softens and moisturizes it. Use a gentle shampoo such as SalonCare wild cherry(or other scents)- purchaseable at sallys as well as the conditioner which is great. Other good shampoos are trader joe's pure castile soap(peppermint) or multi-purpose liquid castile soap (www.thechemistrystore.com). Taking vitamins, drinking lots of water,exercise and getting plenty of sleep are also helpful. Queen helene works great as a deep conditioner for me( i do doctor it up a little). I hope this gets u on the right track. Let me know if you need some more help.
Me and you, your cousin and your momma too rollin on da strip on bow's
longido View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote longido Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2006 at 12:48pm

Thank you carameldiva i will try them out.

lmk
Jamgurl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamgurl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2006 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by Passionsb Passionsb wrote:

Hey you guys. I am new to this site. I have been searching for a good place to purchase wigs via the internet if possible. I have had microbraids in my hair for approximately 8 months now, and I am ready to take them out. I need something to do with my hair post-braids though. I am wanting to wear some stylish, cute wigs. I have been unsuccessful in my quest. I am only 24, and want a younger-person's wig. Does anyone have any suggestions or helpful tips for me. They will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi Passion...i'm new here too, but I'd just like to give you a word of advise/caution abotu micros....8 months is a very long time to have them in, so be VERY careful when you are having them taken out as in most instances, micros take your hair out from the roots when you are taking them down, especially after having them in for a very long time. Also, giv eyour hair a breather before getting a wig...condition and treat. Personally, I love micros and I used to wear them, but never more than two months as I realised that the longer they stayed, with all the washing, etc, my hair gets matted at the roots.

Good luck with finding a great wig

cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2006 at 8:17am
Jamgurl welcome to the forum.
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Jamgurl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamgurl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2006 at 9:19am

Originally posted by cmesweet cmesweet wrote:

Jamgurl welcome to the forum.

Thank you

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 12>
  Share Topic