Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hair Advice for Our Newbies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112>
Author
ccmuffingirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccmuffingirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2008 at 10:56pm
Originally posted by Puff Puff wrote:

Originally posted by carameldiva carameldiva wrote:

Taking vitamins, drinking lots of water,exercise and getting plenty of sleep are also helpful. Queen helene works great as a deep conditioner for me( i do doctor it up a little). I hope this gets u on the right track. Let me know if you need some more help.

I hear a lot of people saying take vitamins or that they use vitamins in a recipe, what kinds of vitamins do you ladies use and how? Also if Carmeldiva wouldn't mind elaborating, how do you doctor your deep conditioner? I'm in the "research phase" of my transition. I've stopped relaxing over a year ago and am ready for the BC one of these days...kind of scared since I’ve grown attached to my hair, but I know that this is the change I need if I want to have hair when I’m 80. All you ladies seem to be so full of information and recipes I’m so excited to get started and grow, Grow, GROW!!! Embarrassed

I use prenatal vitamins that I buy at Whole Foods supermarket.  I use prenatal vitamins because they offer a lot more nutrients than regular vitamins.  I only take half a vitamin at night before I go to sleep (I prefer to take my vitamins at night because that's when your body spends most of it's time building and renewing things).  It saves me money to buy prenatals because they last me twice as long because I only use half as much.  You can doctor up a deep conditioner by adding more beneficial things to it.  For instance if you have moisturizing conditioner and would like for there to be more protein in it you could add an egg, coconut oil, or avocado oil to it.  And if you would like for your conditioner to provide more moisture to your hair you could add honey (because it acts as a humectant to draw in the moisture from the air).  Hope I helped Smile
"And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair"--Kahlil Gibran
http://public.fotki.com/ccmuffingirl/
Puff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Puff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2008 at 9:09pm
Thanks for the info. Oh and by the way I've decided and 9/27/08 will be the date of my BC!!!hooray I'm gonna take lots of pictures, that is if i don't chicken out.

Edited by Puff - September 25 2008 at 2:25pm
Happy to be Nappy!
Puff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Puff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2008 at 2:26pm
Next Question: This might be stupid but is it better to deep condition and then do hot oil treatment or vice versa? I haven't had a hot oil treatment since i was a little girl (idk y my mom stopped as i got older.) So I really don't know too much about it.

Also, being that I, as many of us have, fell victim to the myths of AA hair, like the fact that "we don't need to wash our hair as much as other races" or that "we NEED to keep our scalps greased" i really don't know how to take care of mine. (kind of embarrassing, but the truth none the less.) I know the recipes are gonna be great when i start using them regularly and so will many of the other tips you ladies have been so kind to share. But my hair is THICK and coils VERY tightly.

Is there something I can do so i dont look crazy for the next few months while i wait for my hair to grow back? Not looking for wigs or weaves, been there and done that. Braids are an option but what else is there. help

peace****THANKS LADIES*****Much Love, Peace, & Blessings.*****peace
Happy to be Nappy!
ccmuffingirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccmuffingirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2008 at 5:36pm

Next Question: This might be stupid but is it better to deep condition and then do hot oil treatment or vice versa? I haven't had a hot oil treatment since i was a little girl (idk y my mom stopped as i got older.) So I really don't know too much about it.

Also, being that I, as many of us have, fell victim to the myths of AA hair, like the fact that "we don't need to wash our hair as much as other races" or that "we NEED to keep our scalps greased" i really don't know how to take care of mine. (kind of embarrassing, but the truth none the less.) I know the recipes are gonna be great when i start using them regularly and so will many of the other tips you ladies have been so kind to share. But my hair is THICK and coils VERY tightly.

Is there something I can do so i dont look crazy for the next few months while i wait for my hair to grow back? Not looking for wigs or weaves, been there and done that. Braids are an option but what else is there. help

peace****THANKS LADIES*****Much Love, Peace, & Blessings.*****peace

I don't think it really matters.  It's all according to your preference.  Personally I do hot oil treatments as a pre-poo (I heat up some coconut oil, but it in my hair and allow it to sit for about 15-20 minutes, then I shampoo it out using a sulfate-free shampoo).  After I do that then I deep condition my hair.   Both oil treatments and deep conditioners improve the condition of your hair, so it doesn't really matter in what order you use them.  You don't even have to do them on the same day.  You could do a hot oil treatment on your hair on one day then DC another day.  I like doing them both on the same day because I feel that DC'ing improves the moisture balance/elasticity of my hair and the oil treatment makes my hair look shinier and provides beneficial oils to my hair.  Hope I helped :). 

P.S. If you are looking for ways of concealing your hair while it's growing without using wigs you could try scarves.  They come in a lot of different pretty patterns.  My friend just did a BC and she goes between wigs and scarves as ways of concealing her hair.
"And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair"--Kahlil Gibran
http://public.fotki.com/ccmuffingirl/
Puff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Puff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2008 at 5:58am
Thank you CCMuffingirl, Once again you have helped me sucussfully avert a hair crisis. Wink
Happy to be Nappy!
Gldspoon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gldspoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2008 at 8:45am
A great hair tip for transitioning ladies is to not be afraid to do your Big Chop. I went without a relaxer for 6 months and then one day I decided it was time to make a change.

To make sure I folloed through with it I took a BIG clump of my hair in my hand and proceeded to whack it off with a scissor. That left me with one of 2 choices.....continue cutting or end up with a big ole hairless section of my hair. Needless to say I kept on chopping and almost 2 years later I am SO happy I did it.

Just take a deep breath and go for it! I was surprised at how great I looked with really short hair and you just might be as well. :D
Welcome to My World! Beauty Tips for Black Women
Vanity3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vanity3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2008 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by newtestam newtestam wrote:

Agreed. A good shower filter does miracles. Also mahabringaraj oil stops shedding.

has anyone else ever tried Mahabhringaraj Oil?  This is about the second time I've heard of it.

Natural since March 2006

No "heat" challenge for Winter 08-09

public.fotki.com/Vanity3

keepitsimplesista.ning.com/profile/Vanity1920
carameldiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carameldiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2008 at 11:13am

Originally posted by carameldiva carameldiva wrote:

Taking vitamins, drinking lots of water,exercise and getting plenty of sleep are also helpful. Queen helene works great as a deep conditioner for me( i do doctor it up a little). I hope this gets u on the right track. Let me know if you need some more help.

I hear a lot of people saying take vitamins or that they use vitamins in a recipe, what kinds of vitamins do you ladies use and how? Also if Carmeldiva wouldn't mind elaborating, how do you doctor your deep conditioner? I'm in the "research phase" of my transition. I've stopped relaxing over a year ago and am ready for the BC one of these days...kind of scared since I’ve grown attached to my hair, but I know that this is the change I need if I want to have hair when I’m 80. All you ladies seem to be so full of information and recipes I’m so excited to get started and grow, Grow, GROW!!! Embarrassed

I follow Bargello's Regimen. I will post it below.
By: Bargello
longhairlovers.com
Growing Out Message Board

Vitamins are very important for not just the growth of hair but for overall health. After doing years of research on vitamins, I have found what vitamins work and what ones don't. My overall health has improved 200% since starting my vitamin program. And healthy body means healthy nails, skin, and hair.

Multivitamin: I believe everyone needs to be on a good multivitamin. You need a vitamin that contains at least 100% of the most of the recommended daily nutrients. I am very partial to Vitaminshoppe's One A Day vitamin. This is an excellent vitamin for overall health. Note that it does not contain iron. This might be a concern and might not be. Most menstruating women can benefit from extra iron in their diets. If you happen to be a woman that becomes iron deficient easily, you might just wish to add in an extra iron supplement. By not having iron, this makes a good supplement for men, teens, and post-menopausal women.

Calcium: We all need calcium in our diet. This is something that is an absolute necessity. There is some calcium in the above multivitamin, but not enough. Remember that when taking calcium you also need Vitamin D and Magnesium for the calcium to be absorbed properly. Most multivitamins will contain Vitamin D and Magnesium.

Now for the vitamins which promote healthy hair, skin, and nails.

Hair Vitamins: I like a good hair vitamin to start my program. There are several out there. GNC's Ultra Nourishair is probably one of the best I have seen. It is what I take and is the absolute heart of my program. I am a firm believer in this vitamin. It contains all the necessary vitamins needed for healthy hair.

Note: I do not like the vitamins that state for Hair, Skin, and Nails. They generally have less than you really need of the necessary vitamins for healthy hair, skin, and nails. I am not sure why, but they do. If you take a good hair vitamin, your skin and nails will automatically benefit.

MSM: This vitamin is very important for healthy hair, muscles, and joints. It helps to decrease hair fall out. It does this by assisting in making the growth stage of the hair longer. The longer you are able to retain the root, the longer you hair will grow. You may take up to 2000mg/day. Note: Ultra Nourishair contains 500mg of MSM. I take an additional 1000mg/day.

Silica: Helps in the shine of hair. It is also a very valuable antioxidant. It assists in a lot of other areas other than just helping your hair be soft and shiny. There is silica in the Ultra Nourishair; I take an additional 500mg/day.

Evening Primrose: There is so much to say about this essential fatty acid. It contains Omega-6 Fatty Acid (Gamma-Linolenic Acid). This is a good Omega-6 Fatty Acid. It has several benefits of which I will only name a few. Some of the benefits are reducing PMS, clearing up eczema, helping your skin glow, minimize fine wrinkles, reduce cholesterol, help with your metabolism, and cure hair and nail problems. It helps nourish straw-like hair. You really only need 480-960 mg of GLA to reap wonderful benefits. I personally take 500mg/day. You should see results with Evening Primrose as early as 2 weeks of daily consumption. Your scalp should feel less dry and the hair growing in should feel softer and more nourished.

Flaxseed Oil: Now flaxseed Oil is wonderful in the sense that it contains both Alpha-Linolenic Acid (Omega-3 Fatty Acid) and Gamma-Linolenic Acid (Omega-6 Fatty Acid). Omega-3 is very important in our bodies too. We need both to help maintain a healthy body. Omega-3 has been know the help ADD/ADHD (Attention Deficit Disorder). It is also essential for healthy hair, skin, and nails. It helps hair in the same way Omega-6 does. Why take both? Because the cells of the body need both to work properly. Our bodies do not make either of the Fatty Acids, we must supplement. Taking both will help the cells of the body work more efficiently and in return help growth of hair as well as health of hair and body. I take 500mg/day. I really don't think you need more than that, but experiment. You might find your body does need more.

Biotin: Now biotin is what really can boost your hair growth. Skin, nails, and hair rely on biotin to grow. So, if we feed our bodies more biotin, then our skin will look better, and our nails will be stronger, and our hair will grow faster and stronger. My hair vitamin contains 1200mcg of biotin. I take an additional 2400mcg/day. I have played with the dosage a little and have found that my hair definitely grows faster with the total biotin of 3600mcg/day. You might need to play with this too. You might need more or less than I do for results.

Protein: I can't scream enough about protein. We need it. I don't care if it plant or animal. Truthfully your body can absorb and utilize plant protein better than animal. This is why vegetarians are incredibly healthy. I drink a protein shake everyday with my vitamins. I drink it with milk (it tastes better and I get extra calcium and protein with the milk), vegans can make a protein drink with soymilk (get it with calcium added and you have the benefits of extra vegetable protein and calcium). Adding protein to your diet will help your body all the way around. It will function better and you will not be as hungry all the time. I suggest a protein drink of at least 22gr. of protein. I suggest at least one serving a day. If your diet is really bad, you can drink more. The extra protein will also help your hair grow. It is protein too, you know.

With all this said, everyone is DIFFERENT! You might need more of something than I do, or less. Vitamins are personal things. You need to play with them to get the correct dosage for you. They are not a cure all. They can help your body in ways you wouldn't think about. I have tried to keep the above information brief. I could write pages about each vitamin and why you should take it. The above program works very well for me. My hair grows at the speed of 1 ½" per month. One thing to always remember, when starting a vitamin program, don't expect results overnight. It will take your body 2-6 weeks to benefit from vitamins. This time period depends on how depleted your system is. The average time being 4 weeks. If you are recovering from a serious illness, it could take longer.

One word about prenatal supplements. I personally do not think they will boost hair growth anymore than a good multivitamin. There are a lot of good over-the-counter prenatals out there. I like Natrol probably the best. When I sat down and actually compared the ingredients in prenatal vitamins and multivitamins, the multivitamin actually had more than the prenatals did. Prenatal vitamins do contain extra iron (for anemia), folic acid (for birth defects), and potassium (to help with muscle cramps). Now, none of those ingredients will boost hair growth. I have had 3 pregnancies and I have NEVER taken prenatal vitamins. When I presented my vitamin program to my OB-GYN, each one has stated that they could not have put together a better vitamin program for overall health during pregnancy and after. They have never prescribed a prenatal for me. There really was no need.

If you wish to take a prenatal in addition to a good multivitamin, by all means do. The only reason I think doctors have stated that there has been a boost in hair growth is that generally people don't take vitamins until they get pregnant. They take a prenatal and their hair starts to grow. They think it is the prenatal when in fact it is just getting some good vitamins in the system and the result of pregnancy itself. Pregnancy can cause your hair to grow faster as your body is renewing things a lot faster.

**As of 4/22/2002 Bargello has increased her intake of Biotin to 7500 mcg/day.

I doctor my deep conditioner with either glycerin or castor oil or turkey red castor oil.
Me and you, your cousin and your momma too rollin on da strip on bow's
Hair Goddess View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hair Goddess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2008 at 9:17pm
One of the things I've learned was that different things work for different people and hair types.  I had to find what worked for "me" as far as how to treat my hair, product, style, etc.
I hope this helps.
lydia_wigs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lydia_wigs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2009 at 10:23pm

Everyone can have beautiful hair, who does not want to change his hair style every day?How can we do that? the answer is to use wigs,which is easy to wear and give us a new feeling .Wink

lydia

Edited by Karen Shelton - September 25 2011 at 11:35am
MsMiamiLady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MsMiamiLady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2009 at 1:59pm
all great tips!
luvinghair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luvinghair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2009 at 12:00pm
born kinky is right.......for women of color moisturizing conditioner and leave in's are vital for healthy looking hair.
kelsey88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kelsey88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2010 at 6:03am

Hey, I was wondering if anybody could give me some tips on how to acheive this hairstyle and some details about it. I've searched for ages now with no luck. Thanks
crist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2010 at 2:10am
my no. one advice is eat healthy.
Urge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2010 at 12:26am
Hey Ladies, whats up?
I was wondering if u guys had any advice 4 me. When it comes to haircare Im oblivious n I was told to texturize my hair. Im African-American so I had a full head of hair n it was thick. The hair dresser lady left it in 4 5mins n nw its tooooooo straight. Now, I dnt know what do do. I would really appreciate a little guidance. Unhappy
spunkigrl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spunkigrl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2010 at 1:06pm
Hi Guys:

I have african-american relaxed hair. I'm 7 weeks post relaxer and I have a question. During the week I wrap my hair and when I comb it out, nothing much comes out but when my hair is wet, I lose more hair than I would like to. Why do I lose so much hair when wet or when styling post shampoo/conditioning? I've noticed my hair is thinning.
When my hair has growth, it is difficult to detangle because my new growth is very tough/kinky/hard. I currently use the mane n tail detangler which has seriously cut down hair loss during detangling but I still lose hair when i blow dry. I usually blow dry right after I wash or let it air dry overnight then blow dry the next morning.
Is there something I'm doing wrong? I want my hair not just longer but thicker when I next relax in the next 7 weeks.
Should I stop blow-drying my hair and just set? I'm trying to keep my hair on my head. Please help.
Dimon003 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dimon003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2010 at 10:49pm
These are very good information and advices.. keep them coming everyone.. thank ror you sharing.Clap
Dimon003 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dimon003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2010 at 10:51pm
These are very good information and advices.. keep them coming everyone.. Thank you for youe sharingClap
Dimon003 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dimon003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2010 at 10:51pm
These are very good information and advices.. keep them coming everyone.. Thank you for youe sharingClap
uklw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uklw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2010 at 6:50am
What i usually do to my hair is,

I relax it and then wear one of the full lace wigs.

Then every two weeks i take it off and use a hair treatment on my hair. I Think thats really helps to keep my hair strong and healthy.

How do you care your hair?

Edited by Karen Shelton - August 20 2010 at 9:31am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112>
  Share Topic