Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hair Advice for Our Newbies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 12>
Author
Hair Goddess View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hair Goddess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2007 at 6:22pm

I sounds nice, but due to the sodium laureth sulfates in commercial products, I've been moving toward more natural products.  Perhaps this will help.

Thanks though.

tazmonster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tazmonster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2007 at 6:46pm
I just joined this forum after being completely horrified at the number if split ends I have found recently. I have been relaxing since I was 5, and it's done plently of damage to my hair. It breaks, splits, and sheds, and I'm fed up. I've had braids and am considering going back to that to let my hair grow for a bit, but at this point I don't think I need that.

I think I will continue to relax my hair (I get it done every 2 months) for now and make a lot of other changes instead. I know that I need to drink a lot more water and take vitamins and pay attention to my hair more. I am going to stop blow drying and air dry instead, but I still need to flat iron once a week. I think I'm going to go to Sally's and buy some WGO.

For the past year and a half my hair has been cut to my jaw on the sides and about an inch long in the back. Before then it was past my shoulders, and I was tired of the same look. Now I completely regret cutting my hair, and I want to get it back to the length it was. Even when my hair was longer, I still had a lot of breakage and split ends.

For about 6 months during the 1.5 years that my hair has been short, I texturized and curled my hair with braids (braided at night and took down in the morning). During that time, my hair felt healthier. A few months ago I decided to grow my hair out and wear it straight, so I started relaxing it again. I don't know how I put together in my mind that relaxing would help my hair grow out, but I like how straight it gets when I do. I've found that my hair doesn't straighten very well (with a flat iron) when it's natural.

So I'm getting rid of my old flat iron, which is breaking my hair, and replacing it with a thinner ceramic one that my mom has.

So I guess this is my way of saying hi to you all and wish me luck. This is going to be an interesting journey, to say the least.
I am something fading in the trees. Something with a better shade of green.
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2007 at 8:01am
Welcome Tazmonster!
  Have you tried the crown and glory method with your braids? If not, here is the link www.growafrohairlong.com
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tazmonster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2007 at 3:35pm
Thanks for that. I think I will do that for the summer. I'll try to get my hair healthy enough until then.
Rocafella425 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocafella425 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2007 at 1:20am
What's good y'all? I'm a male who has a problem with my hair texture. I was born with naturally curly or coarse hair. As a teen, I started using a wave pomade to turn my nappy hair into waves. After a while I started using this wave saver spray crap and I accidently changed the texture of my hair. Now my hair is extra soft and I can't do anywthing with it. Is there any kind of way I can get the nappy hair I was born with back????

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tazmonster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2007 at 2:58pm
I'm no expert, but it might help to cut all of your hair down to where there are no chemicals, which might mean you shave it all off. You might want to ask in the men's forum. It might also be possible that you won't be able to get your hair the way it used to because your hair might just change over time (I don't know how old you are). How long have you been using the wave saver?
simplired View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simplired Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2007 at 11:25pm
Hey Taz,  Im new to this as well....but I can relate to your problems as well.

This is what I have done....I went to the several beauty supplies and I read all the shampoos and conditioner labels, guess what non of the products are safe for your hair..QP cond Shampoo had no SLS, so I used it for a while, but Ithrew it out when I founf out there were other toxican it it  .they are all toxic to your body.....stay away from SLS, my advice is to go to ewg.org and read about toxic chem in our beauty prod...it will amaze you and you will notice a change in your hair when you change.
I noticed a change in 2 weeks.....1. healthy shampoo, conditioner, rinse with water and apple cider vinegar to get PH lev back, moisturize with pure JOJOBa or Virgin coconut oil (yes you eat it too)  research on it has it as the safest and fatty oil for our health...I use both oils on my body as well...I literaly thru bags of product out, my hubby said I was nuts . ...jojoba is the only oil that will not clog our pores (research it yourself). my completion is so nice just in a couple of week, I was afraid of all the oil, but it last only a few minutes, then penetrates the skin..he oils allow your scalp natural oil galnds to work properly......My hair and scalp is nice with a relaxer in it

The bottom line is we all have to die from something, but dont contribute to killing yourself by using known toxic product that not only cause cancer but other ailments, that we wonder why we constrcted it.  EWG.org.....you can type in a chemical name and you will get the results of health concerns
simplired View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simplired Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2007 at 11:37pm
So for all you hair concerned addicts with afro american hair and relaxers on them:  I found Aubrey organics, has a wide variety of shampoos  condtioners

always make final rinse  1cup water and 1/2 tsp of appl vinegar...I let my hair air dry to damp, the blow dry, but before i blow dry I take a small amount of Virgin Coconut oil and rub it thru hair (do not over oil) after a few washings like this you definely notice a difference in your hair.  But you have to moisturize at least 2 times a day for afro american womens hair, at night tie up and sleep on a satin., maybe clip your ends 1 time only...then after that keep the ends oiled with eith jojo or coco.....I prefer putting the jojoba on the scalp and the coco on the hair...  You Are Going to Luv Touchin Your Hair.

Also wash that hair at least 2 time a week, dont go past 1 week

PLEASE RESEARCH JOJOB AND VIRGIN COCO OIL......you will be amazed what you can get out of just these 2 products....and save you countless $$$$$

SexySyn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SexySyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2007 at 11:37am
Whoa! you gals really have some tips, I never heard of soaking hair bands in oil, (note to self, must try).

I have used cut panty hose.  They are really delicate on hair.  There is a lot of no breakage ties out their now. 
fathia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fathia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2007 at 5:35pm
simplired thanks for the great information!  where can i find the virgin coconut oil.
SexySyn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SexySyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2007 at 9:08pm
I found it at a Health food store, I went in search of Jojoba oil.  Most likely, I'll be going back for that next week.
Miss T View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miss T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2007 at 6:01pm
I am new to the site and have a few questions about getting my hair healthy.
First off, I am a person who was blessed with thick hair that grows quite quickly. So fast, in fact, that I have to get a relaxer every four or five weeks because I have over an inch of new growth. But the problem is that my hair breaks off very easily. I wrap my hair every night and usually wash it every two weeks because that is what I've been told. I am also a runner so my hair is up in a ponytail quite often. Whener I wash my hair I have to blow dry it and then flat iron it so that I can keep the roots from looking so thick.

I have type 4a hair and I was wondering what shampoos and conditioners would be good for my hair. Right now I use Kera Care Hydrating Detangling shampoo and the humecto creme conditioner with the Essential Oils before I blow dry it. The problem that I find with oils is that they rub off of my bangs and onto my forehead and clog my pores and give them a real greasy look.

What can I do?
simplired View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simplired Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2007 at 12:31am
that was a problem I ran into also along with getting on my scalp clogging the scalp as well, casuing itching, sometime flaking.

the jOjoba oil is 100% safe and nautral, non clogging....it can actually be used as facial/body moturizer....goes on oily, obsorbs quickly to a non oily feel....good for acne believe it or not,   read up on it, you will see what I'm talking about

Virgin cococut oil is used for hair and face, body as well

It is all I use....I stopped buying lotion....My husband thought I was crazy...but guess what he uses the COCO for lotion now......it starts out oily and ends up non oily, skin is soft and

non of thoseo ils get rancid
Nothing Beats a Failure but a Try!     Sondra
simplired View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simplired Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2007 at 12:34am
hi Fathia

you can get it at a health food store, I get it on line from Tropical traditions., I have yet to make the transition to cooking with it....everything will taste coconutty

let me know how it works for you

Edited by simplired - April 28 2007 at 12:35am
Nothing Beats a Failure but a Try!     Sondra
ShearDiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShearDiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2007 at 10:21pm
I dont think oil is good for our hair because it weights it down.  If you must use it you should only use a pea size and musify it in your hands before applying it to your hair.  After i flat iron my client i use biosilk or paul mitchell super skinny serum it gives a good shine with out the oily look.Smile
JM2006
kliyah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kliyah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2007 at 3:38pm
hey hey am new hear cud you give me some advice my hair is a sew in weave but some of it is left out how can i take care of my own hair without it breaking off
kliyah
shelle93 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shelle93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2007 at 1:42pm
I'm a newbie thanks for all the tips. Personally my hair love loves conditioner. I no poo my hair now, and I use Jason natural products and a shea butter leave in conditioner. I put olive oil on my hair sometimes. I just try to keep it simple. BTW I'm natural.
http://xrl.us/v74g
Urbanplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urbanplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2007 at 10:53am
Minimalist: Acidic shampoo. Home-made conditioner/treatment. Maybe styling product. Any more than that and I start crying.Cry
I'm in!
Urbanplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urbanplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2007 at 10:59am
I forgot to mention- Successful self-relaxers- I ADMIRE your skill and bravery! Once I gave myself a relaxer and my hand was shaking the entire time and I definitely don't think I could do touch-ups on my own. Now.....if I could only find a decently priced stylist (in Queens/Brooklyn by the way) who would let me bring my own smoking concoctions in and actually have a what?- a consultation with me.
I'm in!
Anomis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anomis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2007 at 4:48pm
I never saw this page b4 2day good info.
BTW, i was taught that good hair is clean and neat.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 12>
  Share Topic