Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Straighten permed hair -How?????

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
pixiecatherin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pixiecatherin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Straighten permed hair -How?????
    Posted: March 22 2005 at 11:47am

I have long permed hair however would now like to go straight can i have it straightened ie have the perm removed???It was permed over a year ago .I do not want to use straightners however can it be removed ??? I dont want to get it cut short as its down my back.I just fancy a changed.

eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2005 at 2:16pm
No, you can't have it "removed". You've permanently changed the shape of the proteins in your hair. That's why they call it permanent. Trying to relax it may cause your hair to break off. You can probably straighten it with a ceramic iron, but this will damage your hair, too. You'll just have to let it grow out and trim it off.
pixiecatherin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pixiecatherin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2005 at 2:23pm

eKatherine

hi thanks for your reply, i will not use straightners as i know they damage hair but someone told me there was some kind of chemical process hairdressers used to remove a perm.They must have been mistaken.It will take years for it to grow out as my hair is long!

cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2005 at 8:00am

Its a myth about removing relaxers and perms

While your hair grow, trim a bit at a time, until u have nothing left but your natural hair. I'm sure u will be able to tell the difference.

Natural
BC May 9, 2004

blackmajik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackmajik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2005 at 1:27am
Someone was right, there is a process. You use the same product that you used to curl your hair to straighten it. You put the solutions on as recommended, and then just comb through instead of rolling the hair.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2005 at 6:36am
Originally posted by blackmajik blackmajik wrote:

>Someone was right, there is a process. You use the same product that you used to curl your hair to straighten it. You put the solutions on as recommended, and then just comb through instead of rolling the hair.

Someone is right, yeah, if you consider re-perming to be the same as removing a perm. There's a good chance that this will completely wreck the hair, and little or no chance it will restore it to natural.

Edited by eKatherine
blackmajik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackmajik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2005 at 9:29pm
I did not state that removing a perm will restore it to natural? Using a perm to remove a perm is no more damaging than perming your hair twice, and if you want a perm removed, it works efficiently.

Edited by blackmajik

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2005 at 7:56am
Originally posted by blackmajik blackmajik wrote:

Using a perm to remove a perm is no more damaging than perming your hair twice...

Which for a lot of women means ruining their hair to the point of cutting it off. It may work for a few hair types, but it's not something I would recommend to anyone wanting to keep their hair. Which this poster clearly wants to do.
Sharyg11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharyg11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2005 at 9:48am

Pixiecatherin,

There are relaxers designed to safely remove old perms. Rusk anti-curl, Artec Texturesmooth, Redken Vertical are the most popular ones. Find a reputable salon in your area that provides the service. Eventhough you can purchase Rusk and Artec on  the net, you need to have a profesional do your hair, since it is already chemically processed. They would need to choose the right formula and timing for your hair, as well as examine your hair and determine if it is healthy enough for the process. They can also advise you what products to use to care for your hair after the process. The relaxers are very good and should not wreck your hair, as long as it is done properly. If you do decide to take a chance and do it yourself, I would recomend using Rusk; since their line is designed for home use. Artec is meant for profesionals. I would also e-mail or call the people at Rusk and ask for advise. They respond very fast, and will recomend the best way to do it. I have used both Rusk and Artec to straighten my curly frizzie hair, and both products worked great. My hair has never been damaged, it is shiny and healthy. Well, hope this helps.

Edited by Sharyg11
Sweetcandicurlz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sweetcandicurlz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2005 at 5:32pm
Blackmajik is right, you can remove the first perm by using the same one again and just combing it through instead of rolling, I should know b/c I know a couple of people who have tried it and it worked for them and they had no problems. I'm also pretty sure those products Sharyg11 mentioned would work also. But the point is there are ways to make your hair go back straight from perming it! Toodles!!!!!
I love chocolate and monkeys!!I'm the sweetest peanutbutter cup chica you'll ever want to meet! love, hugs, and kisses.
ravenlox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ravenlox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2005 at 7:08am
blackmajik is right. If your hair is in good condition, you can just by a gentle perming solution and follow the instructions, carefully combing the hair straight rather than rolling with the rollers. I have done this before myself and the results were perfect. no damage if you are really careful with the timing. It's a good idea to deep condition prior to process. It works.

13.5/17.5/26
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic