Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What type of shampoo & conditioner?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
terri5154 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terri5154 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What type of shampoo & conditioner?
    Posted: March 22 2005 at 12:19pm

Hi,

I am new to this board.  I have read some posts about silicone being in shampoo and conditioner and that it can cause breakage.  Do you know what brands/types of shampoos and conditioners that you can purchase at drugstores, walmart, etc. that do not contain silicone?  Are there any ones that you recommend or really like?  Thanks for your help and information!

DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2005 at 5:52pm
Welcome, Terri! 

Best thing to do is to look at the list of ingredients on products you're considering buying.  For the most part, silicones are ingredients that end in "cone" -- and the closer the ingredient is to the top of the list, the more of it is in the formulation.

Skzz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2005 at 6:22pm

VO5 is coneless. I have also heard good things about Herbal Essences.. I'm not sure if it's completely coneless or just mostly.

Kimbearly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbearly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2005 at 8:47pm

Hello   I am new to the long hair board but regularly post on the extension board.  My own hair is about 5 inches past my shoulders and I have been trying to grow it very long - but healthy.  I wear clip-in extensions until my hair gets to the point I would like because I can't wait .  I get my hair trimmed every 8 weeks so I have no split ends.  My hair is very thick but grows slowly.

This thread interest me because I have been using Frizz Ease syrum for my ends.  Is this a bad thing to do?  For shampoo I use Matrix Biolog hydrating and Nexus Keraphix for cond.  Afterwards I use Redken Antisnap and then the Frizz Ease. 

AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2005 at 9:13pm

Do you clarify often? I think that's the big issue. The more products a gal puts in her hair, the more often she needs to remove the residue and "shell" on her hair strands. Especially when Frizz Ease contains loads of silicones that are not removable with shampoo.

Your hair sounds wonderful : )

Anais

my LJ, 40 inches long
Kimbearly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbearly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2005 at 9:37pm
Clarify?  No, I have not been doing this.  I wash with shampoo maybe twice a week and everyday I use the conditioner and other stuff.  I have to do this because I have pretty wavy hair and it looks like crap in the morning.  I wish I had silky hair like yours because it is sooooo beautiful.  Us curly girls always want to go straight but then my straight hair friends want my hair - we are never happy
Katja View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2005 at 2:38pm
I really like Mane & Tail shampoo.  It does not contain silicone as far as I know, and is pretty cheap- about $6 for a 32oz bottle and it's found in most drug stores.  I don't know about anyone else, but it does wonders for my hair.  Also helps it grow faster I think.
"If you're not failing every now and again, it's a sign you're not doing anything very innovative."
-Woody Allen
leia1979 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leia1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2005 at 3:29pm

Hi Kim (fellow extensioner)!  I agree with Anais on the clarifying.  I currently have the generic verison of Matrix Amplify, which is a little too strong, so next I'm going to try TresEmme's daily clarifying shampoo, which I've read good reviews of.

Most of my conditioners have silicone in them, but I want to try jojoba oil.  I do find the silicone conditioners make it much easier for me to comb out my hair, which is otherwise prone to tangling.  Right now, I'm using Garnier Fructise conditioner for dry/damaged hair.  Also, my hair is suprisingly silky from my hair dye (huh?).  I used Clairol Colorgloss, a semi, and it made my hair feel really nice.  It may not really be that healthy underneath, though.

strawberryfine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote strawberryfine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2005 at 8:05pm

After MUCH agonizing, I'm really happy with my Phytojoba and Phytorum shampoos, which I dilute per Dave's method.  I use the Phytorum less often as it contains protein.  They are pricey but when I figure out how long a bottle actually lasts me, it's really very reasonable.

My favorite conditioner is Biolage Conditioning Balm used sparingly straight, diluted, as a leave in, diluted and sprayed-on and it lasts forever and has no cones.  And it lasts FOREVER.

I clarify with red wine vinegar and filtered water when it feels like it needs it or if I just can't remember when I did it last.  I use it in hopes that it will bring out the red in my hair; but now I just think the bottle and the color of it are pretty.

I oil with jojoba oil on both wet hair and dry; sometimes I use jojoba oil with a little rose otto oil added for fragrance.

Hope this helps some!

It's one of my favorite topics!  I love to see what everyone else is using and how it is working for them!

SF

strawberryfine
2aFii
12/25.5"/terminal length after reaching "small of my back length"
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2005 at 7:08am
I didn't have much luck finding coneless products when I tried to find good stuff at walmart.  The ones that don't have cones are full of sulfates.  I mostly buy my stuff online for that reason.  I used to find Avalon at the GNC store too, it doesn't have sulfates or cones.  I do still use pantene (chock full o'cones) on my last inch of hair though to prevent tangles because the avalon is too lightweight to help with detangling (it mostly just moisturizes with jojoba oil).   I only use the pantene once after clarifying though, I discovered the cone coat lasts for a week or two and doesn't need re-application on my hair.

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic