Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Andre Talks Hair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Starburst View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Starburst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Andre Talks Hair
    Posted: March 28 2005 at 6:24am

Andre Talks Hair
by Andre Walker, Teresa Wiltz
Simon & Schuster (May 2, 1997)

Andre Walker is famous for being Oprah Winfrey's personal hairdresser for years.  He does Oprah's hair for her show and red carpet events.

I know one thing, if I ever have to write a book about hair care for some strange reason, I am not going to let my publisher list it on Amazon.com.  Why?  It allows the book to become open season for nameless, faceless, shameless trashing by everyday people & wannabe book reviewers that are experts about hair care - why?  Because they bought the book?  And because there are a lot of armchair experts out there that leap at the chance to put down the hard work of someone else.

If I believed most of the reviews that I read on Amazon.com about books about hair and beauty, I would never buy any of them.  Again, if I believed every movie reviewer, restaurant reviewer or food critic, I would really be in trouble. Thankfully I bought this book many years ago and still love it to this day.

Yes, it is a book about hair basics.  Which is probably why I still depend on it after all these years.  No, it won't provide superhuman knowledge about my hair but it wasn't designed to do that.  It was designed to debunk the basic myths about all types of hair and help the average person to understand what type of hair that they are dealing with everyday.  It provides a simple classification system based on the type of hair texture that you have.  

Andre provides the following classifications which have become even more famous than him:

1.  Straight hair
2.  Wavy hair
     A - Fine & Thin
     B - Medium
     C - Thick & Coarse
3.  Curly hair
     A - Loose loopy curls
     B - More defined curls to very well defined curls (ringlets)    
4.  Kinky hair (Oprah's hair)
     A - Tightly curly - S shape like Type 3
     B - Wiry - Z pattern   

This basic outline of hair types has helped millions throughout the years define and deal with their hair type.

Andre walks the hair walk that he talks in this book. Whether you love the book or not, you have to agree that Oprah's hair always looks amazing and is constantly changing from long to short, straight to curly and a combination in between.  For another review:
http://www.hairboutique.com/books/bookreview002.htm

In my opinion, this book is a keeper and one that you should always have available for just brushing up on the facts.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic