Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bleached!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Akai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bleached!
    Posted: March 28 2005 at 10:49pm
Hey everyone.  I'm pretty new here, but I 'm excited to meet everyone.

My blooper isn't really a blooper, I suppose.  I recently (as in a couple of days ago) went to my hair salonist, determined to get red highlights.  My salonist failed to ask me of my coloring history (this was my first time here) and I failed to mention it.  She bleached my hair once, and couldn't get the red to stick, so she bleached it twice and then three times.  By then, I was getting sick and tired of the bleach and so was she, and as an end result I recieved, magenta/brownish/blondish highlights.  They aren't so bad really, but I need to return to being a brunette/black head soon but am afraid of putting any more chemicals in my hair.  Should I risk it or are the consequences too high?  My hair seems to be doing pretty well for being bleached three times, but I'm not sure I want to put more chemicals and have it fall out.  Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Akai
Claude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2005 at 6:22am
Check with yer stylist but I think  ya might wanna wait several weeks before doing another chemical process. Better to be safe than sorry.
eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2005 at 7:29am
You should go to Sally's and get some demipermanent hair color. This will cause no damage to your hair.
Akai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2005 at 7:48am
I really need to go back to being a brunette in June, so that gives me about 2 months.  Would that be enough time, you think?

Also, demipermanent color would not harm my hair?  What makes it so different?
VeeDubGirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VeeDubGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2005 at 9:02am
With semi or demipermanant hair color, it doesn't have amonia like regular permanent color so it's very gentle on hair. The only down side is that it isn't permanent and will wash out quicker, but since it is gentle, it's probably okay to use more freqently than permanent color anyway. At Sally's there's something called, "Clairol Complements Hydra-Drench Demi Color" I'm sure there are others also. I wish you good luck! 

Edited by VeeDubGirl
Alyssa_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alyssa_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2005 at 4:37pm
Whatever you decide to do, waiting several weeks isn't going to make a difference. Hair doesn't recover or repair itself.

Also, if you're going darker with a semi or demi permanent color, it will be more permanent than you would think; it even says this on the box of some brands (Natural Instincts for one). Like eKatherine said tho, it won't cause any further damage the way permanent colors will. I practically ruined my hair bleaching, and since then I've been buying the cheapo Revlon Colorsilk brand and mixing it with 10 volume peroxide instead of the peroxide it comes with, and it sticks really well.
Akai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2005 at 4:40pm
Thanks for the advice everyone! 

Alyssa, doesn't hair eventually recover or repair if you leave it alone for a while and treat it pretty well?  Extra conditioners, moisterurizers, etc?

How long does demi-permanent color usually last?
Alyssa_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alyssa_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2005 at 6:45pm
Hair will feel and look better with the extra conditioning, but underneath all that its still the same damaged hair, and will react to further chemical treatment the same way it would if there had been no extra conditioning. Sucks huh.  

As for how long demi/semi will last, I think its probably different for everyone according to the condition of their hair, how often you wash, etc.. Mine is as fried as it can get - I had TONS of breakage, cut a lot of it off, but what is left is still very damaged - I had to go a bit darker than what I wanted to get the color to stay, but it does stay with very little fading for about 6 weeks or so. I also dilute my shampoo with water, thats probably a factor in keeping color also.
Akai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2005 at 7:27pm

Eventually, I'm hoping that as my hair grows, the damaged part will be pretty much gone.  Going to take a while though. 

I really only need to go back to black for a wedding.  Seems more acceptable than magenta.  I noticed also that when I washed my hair, some of the color was coming off.  I'm not sure if this is normal, since it's only been a day or so after I got it.

So, the demipermanent hair won't react to the current chemicals in my hair?

Edited by Akai
eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2005 at 9:06pm
Unnatural reds can fade really fast.

There shouldn't be any chemicals in your hair at this point. You rinse the chemicals away, leaving only the processing effect.
Akai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2005 at 9:11pm
Oh  I see.  Should I still wait a couple more weeks you think?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic