Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Long, Straight & Fine

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Melly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Long, Straight & Fine
    Posted: April 07 2005 at 11:48pm
Hey everyone! I really need someones help on my hair dilema. My hair is pretty long - past the middle of my back - it is also very straight and very fine. I can't do too much with it. I have tried to curl it but the curls fall out almost immediately. I would really like some idea for a quick but nice updo. Instructions also please. I can't follow just a picture. Thank a lot.
...Don't follow me...I run into walls...
goddess_mels View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goddess_mels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2005 at 12:21am
Have you tried hairsticks? They're kind of hard to use in the beginning but I found that after a week or two, I was literally sticking them in without looking.

You can try a hair slide, too, but it will have to be a very wide (long) slide because with your length, you'll have to twist the hair into a sort of bun to do this but...here's what you do: You hold the hair back ponytail style and twist it around and around (so it looks like a rope), then hold it against your head, run it down, run it back up again (is this making sense)? And then put in the slide. What you're looking to do is to have the ends sticking out the top/sides and cascading over like a waterfall. This is a really cool look and I used to do it all the time when I had really long hair.
Mels
Melly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2005 at 2:11am
Some of it made a little sense ... I get the part where i twist my hair in a ponytail ... i got lost at the run it down and then back up again ... lol ... sorry ... sounds cool ... if I only knew how to do it
...Don't follow me...I run into walls...
cyma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2005 at 9:49am

I am with you all the way. I also have thin, straight long hair and I have problems getting it to do anything. My normal hair styles are either down or in a clippy. I wish i had some advice to give you but i am also looking for some tips. I have found that vitamins help my hair look shinnier and a little fuller. If you find something that works, please let me know and i will do the same. Good luck.

fawnsweet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fawnsweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2005 at 2:14pm

yeah i don't know if this would work for your straight hair but mine is fine as well but it has natural curls in it. To create volume and give it some bounce and character, I got layers styled into it.

Layers really do work wonders for hair that needs more "oompphh"...

and it looks cute too. Hope this helps, obvioulsy, you should always consult a professional before you make up your mind to get layers.

ALL the best to you!! fawnsweet

Edited by fawnsweet
This too shall pass!!!
eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2005 at 2:47pm
Anybody with fine straight hair should avoid layers, it will make their hair look thinner and lifeless.

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?
bellydancefae View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bellydancefae Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2006 at 2:48am
Hairsticks just don't stay in my hair. Nothing does. Even those little baby barettes slide out of my baby-fine, pin-straight hair. One thing that works somewhat well are some of the rounded claw-clips made for fine hair. I twist my hair up in back into a french twist and clip it to my head, leaving the ends free about the top of the clip.

Another thing I love is snoods attached to a barette for when I'm in a big rush. I just clip the barette around my ponytail, slip my hair into the snood, and go. You can find some really pretty, elegant ones that would work great for more formal occasions, or more funky, fashionable ones for more everyday use.

But yeah, I really don't recommend hairsticks for fine, straight hair. Maybe the only way I could get them to stay in is if I glued them in with hairspray.
SugarCube View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SugarCube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2006 at 11:14am

Maybe a braid. To me one long shiny rope is just a gorgeous hairstlye.

Shyanne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shyanne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2006 at 2:45pm
I feel your pain!
Hm..well, I blow dry it with a small vented round brush, and only use 3 products: mousse, root lifter and aerosol spray (and sometimes also spray leave in conditioner).
I end up with awesome volume, but it only lasts 2 days. Then I put it up w/ a claw clip. Not super classy, but I make do...
And, I...I've got nothing to offer you, no no, just this heart deep and true, which you say you don't need...Know in your soul, please...For haven't you me, with you now? And I love you, I love you...
Shyanne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shyanne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2006 at 2:46pm
Hm, actually, I would also appreciate some tips for up do's...
And, I...I've got nothing to offer you, no no, just this heart deep and true, which you say you don't need...Know in your soul, please...For haven't you me, with you now? And I love you, I love you...
Denise Kingsley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denise Kingsley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2006 at 8:47pm
Try electric rollers. Take small sections and use an end paper, or square of toilet paper to grip the ends before you wrap it aroung the roller. This also works for those hot sticks. Make sure to spray each section with a working spray, before winding. When the rollers are cool, carefully unwind them. then just finger mess the hair. Use a bobby pin and grab small sections of curl, and attach the pin higher up on the head, make sure that you can't see the pin.
Denise Kingsley
babycheeks24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote babycheeks24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2006 at 12:29am
why not go to a salon have them show u some updos that you can do at home for a small fee, or go to the library and pick up some books on long hair dos or magazine. :) just a thought. Maybe it would be easier to cut it in a fashion so that you can style it not saying to cut all your long hair off just kinda give it some style.
or

Edited by babycheeks24 - September 17 2006 at 12:36am
Babycheeks
Seraphina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seraphina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2006 at 3:03pm
Melly, I am new to this board and thought it appropriate I post here first as you have the same hair type as mine.  My hair might be shorter than yours though.  I keep it long because it is easier to manage.  Try this.  Make a ponytail with a hair friendly covered band.  Plait it, then wrap around into a bun - pin it with clips and then if you feel your bun too small owing to its texture add a srunchie that disguises how small your bun is.

Another trick I like and I often get complimented about is to learn a French braid.  But whereas others leave their tails hang after the braid is completed I tuck my hair up and add a scruchie.  When fine is braided like this it looks just as thick as anyone elses.

I also find bendy rollers ideal and have been known to put as many as twenty in for the volume.  Once this is done you have the thickness you need then and it is easy to slid in a French comb.

Another easy style I recently discovered was putting my hair into a ponytail and I "loop" the ponytail instead of pulling the hair right through the elastic band like a normal ponytail i.e. the ponytail is now doubled in thickness.  I then lift the hair where the elastic is in a fashion so that the band is covered and slide a French comb right through it.  Then clip around the ponytail.  It looks really nice.

All these styles are very easy and quick to do, other than the rollers which I sleep in (not very often now I must admit).

But if you can learn the art of rolling and twisting your hair and braiding you will be able to wear lovely hairstyles.

We might be more challenged than those with gloriously thick hair but believe me fine hair can look just as nice :)

Hope that I have been able to give you some idea on what you can do.
GearMaven View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GearMaven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2007 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by eKatherine eKatherine wrote:

Anybody with fine straight hair should avoid layers, it will make their hair look thinner and lifeless.
Strangest thing is that I had my fine, straight hair long layered and for the first time it looked so thick and styled without any work. Now it has developed gentle waves as well.

So I'm a great fan of long layers for fine, straight hair...for me anyway!
Seraphina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seraphina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2007 at 7:01am
I think it depends if your hair is what I would truly define as fine.  Often people declare their hair as fine when in fact it is only the texture which is fine and they actually have a fair abundance of it, therefore although fine in texture it is actually very thick.  Someone with fine, thin hair (and I don't mean those losing it) the layers would not work, not unless it was permed or otherwise curled in order for it to have more volume and bounce.
turtlelovesjems View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turtlelovesjems Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2008 at 2:24pm
I am with you on  your hair style, mine is the same way. It tooks me months to figure out the hair stix, keep playing with them. The more you kep playing around you will figure them out and what it takes for your hair to stay up with them. Normally it takes me about 30 mintues to figure it out for the day then I play around with them until I get the look I want. I love making the piggy buns with the stix it look chineseish. You just have to keep playing around with them. I gave up one them and then one day I got pissed at my hair and gave it a shot again. I also play around with small clips. Big clips and tiny clips will not stay in my hair either but I found this one size (which now I can't find again) that I can play around with and they will stay, the best part is almost the whole day! I'll kepp checking back on you incase you come up with any ideas, so I can try too.
RPA65284 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RPA65284 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2009 at 11:49am

Spiral curling? I have fine, straight hair but don't know how to get a spiral curl, cananyone help me?

Judi
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic