Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

electrolysis

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
honey2005 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honey2005 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: electrolysis
    Posted: April 10 2005 at 5:50pm

has anyone tried electrolysis to remove unwanted hair? If so, how long does it take to remove all the unwanted hair?

thanks, this site rocks!

eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2005 at 8:38pm
It depends on how much work you want done. If it's a small area with not many hairs, you can do most of it in a few visits, coming back for touchups later when dormant hairs grow in. If you have a lot to remove, it'll take many visits.
tbctbc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbctbc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2005 at 9:11pm

from what I understand, electrolysis is painful...

I did laser hair removal at bikini area, and stomach...worked awesome on my stomach, good at bikini line, the hairs are there a bit, but have gotten much much thinner (cacn barely see at all...

plus: it was quick, not that painful (but you have to go back every 6 weeks - then every 2.5 months for touchups)

minus: expensive $$

But when I got into a bikini 2 weeks ago and didnt even have to shave in either area...it was worth every penny:)

norskygrl21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norskygrl21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2005 at 8:11am
I did not have good results with electrolysis. Depending on who does it, it can be painful if you do not have a good technician. As for hair removal, it is actually one of the more inexpensive methods (when compared to laser, monthly waxing, etc) but you need repeated sessions and even then it is not guaranteed to work. I have sparse body hair to begin with (and I have waxed my bikini line since high school so it has permanently stunted the hair follicles) but I had a few strays that were right on the top border of my bikini line that I wanted removed. I went for five sessions and the stray hairs still came back. I have to pluck them now if they pop up before I am due for a wax. Depending on the area you want done, electrolysis may be a good option for you but it was not something that worked for me.
eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2005 at 1:49pm
Originally posted by norskygrl21 norskygrl21 wrote:

I did not have good results with electrolysis. Depending on who does it, it can be painful if you do not have a good technician.

Electrolysis is always painful. It's good for a person who tolerates pain well, otherwise, not.

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?
norskygrl21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norskygrl21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2005 at 3:07pm

Originally posted by eKatherine eKatherine wrote:

Originally posted by norskygrl21 norskygrl21 wrote:

I did not have good results with electrolysis. Depending on who does it, it can be painful if you do not have a good technician.

Electrolysis is always painful. It's good for a person who tolerates pain well, otherwise, not.

Perhaps I should have clarified what I meant. I have had electrolysis at two different places with two different technicians. One turned up the electricity so high the needle was not only "piercing" me, but it was HOT, as in burning my skin. The other place gave me a wet towel to hang onto to ground the current, in addition to hurting far less. So in my opinion, the technician (or maybe it is the machine?) can cause a variance in pain. And to add to EKatherine's comment, I do have a very high pain tolerance but the first time I had electrolysis it was almost unbearable, but when I went to a different place it was not nearly as bad.

Edited by norskygrl21
Gina E View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gina E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2005 at 8:27pm

Yup...it depends on the technician and the current they use. Had it done about a year and a half ago. My lady is awsome! You have to be consistent in the beginnig for best results. The cost was less than waxing.(Although I went weekly to bi-weekly in the first 1-3 months...but the cost maths out in the end) Now, I only go if I see someting "new."

Electrolysis does not tickle! Expect pain. You can asy you DR. for prescription prilocane/lidocane cream...It'll numb ya right up and you won't feel a thing!

I've tried all hair removal methods...electrolysis is my method of choice.Though I doubt you'd want to go that route for legs or say a brazilian...but it's great for most everything else. Just be patient and consistent! 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic