Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

BEST Makeup! Need any advice? ASK ME!!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
kdprincessjess View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kdprincessjess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BEST Makeup! Need any advice? ASK ME!!!!!
    Posted: April 12 2005 at 9:03pm

I've been trying products for years and years of all price levels. I'm currently 21 years old and a college student and love to try out the newest products. I'm a big makeup, beauty, and fashion diva and have finally found the perfect makeup regime that works for pretty much everyone. Here is my secret:

Cheap foundation (any foundation really) can clog your pores, cause blackheads, and can do more damage for your skin than it's worth. I picked up Dermalogica tinted lotion (www.dermalogica.com) and now put it on my face every day. It doesn't clog your pores and gives great color coverage. After that I use my bare minerals foundation powder, blush, and then highlight with Revlon Skinlights face illuminator (which is a bronzer). Afterwards I give complete coverage with the bareminerals Mineral Vail. Here is the step by step easy for you:

1. Dermalogica tinted lotion with SPF15
2. Bareminerals foundation (can combine several colors)
3. Bareminerals blush
4. Revlon Skinlights face illuminator
5. Mineral Vail

I'm very much into the 'naturally beautiful look' that won’t rub off during the day, and this is perfect. I can also give recommendations to skincare products, eye makeup, hair products, what to do with oily skin during the day, etc. I can also recommend colors with the bareminerals line for your skin. Let me know if you have any questions!!!!

Skzz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2005 at 5:38pm

I need an eyeliner recommendation. I use a pencil liner from Maybelline and it's supposed to stay in place, but it seems to move anyway. What eyeliners will stay will you put them all day?

Thanks!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kdprincessjess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2005 at 5:27pm
Typically the liquid stuff is pretty good if you know how to apply it. I don't have the patience for it so I typically don't use it too much. Estee Lauder makes some good ones though if that interests you.

Clinique has two pencil kinds that are really really good. They take a while to wear down as well. The first one is called Quickliner Eor Eyes (it doesn't go on very dark so if you like a less dramatic look it's great) and the second one is called Quick Eyes (which is darker and more dramatic). I use the quick eyes because I like a little drama added to my eyes. They are around 14 bucks and typically last a lot longer than others that I have tried.
niki27 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote niki27 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2005 at 9:38pm
Whats the best mascara for longer fuller lashes???
niki

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kdprincessjess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2005 at 12:11am
I'm not trying to completely go all crazy for Clinique (as i'm not a fan of their powders or foundations) but I love the High Impact Mascara. It goes on your eyelashes thick but not thick enough to clump. It also curlse at the same time. If you are more blonde I would try Lash XL
Maximum Length Mascara by Estee Lauder...it will bring out your eyes like crazy!
angeleyeslady View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angeleyeslady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2005 at 1:08pm
my mum wears Clinqiue but it is very expensive, I usually go for hypo-allergic mascara, as I have sensitive eyes and its always been ok
AngelEyes supports SIGHTSAVERS CHARITY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kdprincessjess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2005 at 1:24am
If you are gonna spend your money on anything, it should be your hair and makeup. Trust me, I've seen people with skin problems because they used a cheap foundation. Clinique isn't that expensive either really, it's about 14 bucks for mascara and lasts longer because it doesn't dry out easily.
Bryan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2005 at 9:45pm
ok gurl heres my dilema. i have oily skin, and i use the new physicans formula mineral makeup. it goes on great, and makes my skin look amazing. the  problem is i have a reallyu oily nose. no matter what i do my nose gets oily again in like 30 minutes after washing,and like 10 minutes after powdering. any suggestions?
learn to love what you were born with
you can do anything if you set your mindto it (just dont try this with hair,that could turn out bad)
oskana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2005 at 7:44am

ok I have dry skin and I need something to keep my face moist all day long...any suggestions?

GoldieLocks92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoldieLocks92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2005 at 9:51pm
Hi!
I would like a makeup technique that would make my eyes seem bigger, rounder, and brighter. I would like my makeup to seem as natural as possible and wear as little of it as possible.
Any advice?
Hair is BSL+ as of 9/15/05
Sharyg11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharyg11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2005 at 9:41pm

Hi Oskana,

Go to Lamasbeauty.com. They have the best moisturizer (this is backed  by several magazines). It is super light, and it absorbs so fast. It is also spf 15. It will keep your skin soft and moisturized all day. If you can afford it, buy the cosmoceutical anti-aging skin package. It will transform your skin, into beautifull, radiant skin. These products are 100% vegan. And there is nothing that can compare to it. Trust me, you will love it.

Bryan, believe it or not, super oily skin needs to be moisturized, in order to balance it out. This will stop your oil glands from over producing oil. Try the same products I mentioned above, and you won't believe the difference. These products are used by celebrities such as Alicia silverstone, Liza Minelli, Cindy Crawford and many more. I tried for years to find products that would give me healthy looking, radiant skin. I tried Lamcome, Clinique etc, But nothing ever gave me the results these products did. I also have oily skin, and was very prone to breaking out. Not anymore. My skin is perfectly balanced, radiant and beautifull. And no more breakouts. Also, get my favorite; the pumpkin spice polish. Is like a facial in a bottle. It exfoliates, yet is so gentle, and leaves your skin feeling amazing. It removes black heads. Sign up to get their monthly specials e-mailed to you. They have great deals. Let me know if you try it, and how it works out for you.

Oh and if you really want to get fancy, try their hand treatment. It is a combo of a hand scrub and a cream. Your hands will feel litterally like silk. Anybody who touches your hands will have to say something.

Thier products aren't cheap, so I usually wait to see what specials they have going on. And when I find a good one I stock up.

By the way, the products are super concentrated. They last a very long time. The anti-aging package lasts me about five moths. A little goes a long way.

linz_legrand View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linz_legrand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2005 at 8:56pm
Hi!

I could really use some makeup advice...it seems I've come to the right place!

I'm 16 years old and have combination skin, making it EXTREMELY difficult for me to find makeup in my price range that doesn't "clump," dry out my skin, or make it too oily (ahh -- the trials and tribulations of a teenage girl!).  Every foundation I wear seems to "clump" around my mouth and chin (I hope that makes sense!).  I'm sure it's dry skin, but I exfoliate and apply moisturizer every morning.  I have recently started using Neutrogena products to clear up my mild acne and I was hoping it would help my "clumping" problem, but it hasn't.

Any suggestions as to a foundation that keeps my skin clear and smooth, but also isn't too expensive??  I would very much appreciate ANY suggestions!!!

- Linz
Sharyg11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharyg11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2005 at 11:30pm

Linz,

Your situation is a little tricky. You are using acne fighting products, which tend to cause caos for combination skin. Usually they will overdry your skin around the sensitive areas (such as your mouth), so even when you moisturize, the skin in that area will still be dry. That is the reason for your make up clumping around your mouth. It is hard to balance out combination skin, without spending some cash. But it is not imposible. You can try some home remedies. For example, honey makes an amazing facial mask. It feels eeky the first minute, but it's ok afterwards. Keep it on for 10 to 15 minutes, then rinse. It moisturizes and it draws out impurities. Your skin will be really soft afterwards. Just don't fall asleep with the mask, or you will wake up with an ant mask instead-lol. You can also try plain yogurt wich has lactic acid, which is great for the skin. May be you can get your parents to buy you the cosmoceutical package from Lamasbeauty.com that I mentioned above. I have combination skin, and it has perfectly balanced it. It stopped breaking out withing 3 days of using it. Now I can wear any foundation I want. Which I don't do much anymore, because my skin looks so good I don't really needed. However when I do, I really like Elizabeth Arden Mousse make up. It goes on beautifull, and it won't cake up. However it is expensive. There is a foundation sold, I beleive at the dollar tree, which is called Aziza. I have never tried it. But acording to the reviews at makeupalley.com, the stuff is amazing, and it only costs $1. You can read the reviews yourself. It got 100% score from all the testers. It scored higher than any of the super expensive brands. If you're going to continue using over the counter products to treat your acne, try not to apply it around your mouth area. Use a good moisturizer that is light in texture, so your skin can absorb it. Well hope this helps. Good luck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kdprincessjess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2005 at 3:14am
Hi guys!!! I'm SO sorry I haven't been on in awhile...I've been out of town and working to get my advertising business officially off the ground. Ok...let me start here:

Bryan: Have you tried dermalogica products? Also, you might want to try an oil free lotion to put on under your powder. Smashbox makes a really good airbrushed clear formula that you put on first to minimize poors and oil appearance. Next, you use an oil free lotion (dermalogica makes tinted lotions, PF might make some as well if you want to stick with that), and then use your powder. Clean and Clear makes oil absorbing sheets as well as a little blue powder that is WONDERFUL to minimize oil. A last suggestion is using Clearasil's new 3 day guarantee system. They have a scrub, wash, and benozyl peroxide formula. It's really great and has reduced the oil on my face by A LOT! Hope these suggestions help!

Oskana: Dermalogica makes a regular and tinted lotion that keeps your face fresh all day. The tinted lotions have soothing fresh scents that are completely natural. I LOVE it as I have dry patches around my nose. Just make sure you get something without a scent. Another brand is DHC, they make a clear lotion that is very good. My mother has extremely dry skin (she had rosetia (can't spell it!) and uses the lotion daily...it feels like silk and she loves it.

GoldieLocks: Well, I will suggest two things to you for bigger eyes. Stay away from liquid liner if you want a natural look. Clinique makes a pencil with pencil on one side and a matching color powder on the other...quickliner I think it's called. Line your eyes underneath with the pencil and then shade with other end. If you have dark eyes get a black but if your eyes are more blue then I would opt for a blue liner and blue mascara...they can look natural if applied lightly and make your eyes look amazing. The second thing I will suggest to you is Emani eye shadow. It is made for african american skin so it's very pigmented. It looks amazing on any skin color, white or black, and make your eyes pop. Make sure to use a light color on the lid and then bring a darker color to the crease. Using a dark color on the bottom will make your eyes smaller. The products are amazing and I have pretty much every color! You can also get a mascara like lash doubling mascara by clinique to make your eyes pop. Applying a primer beforehand will curl lashes and then applying the mascara will keep it from clumping. I have short lashes and the mascara makes my eyes look HUGE. A final word about eye liner is to pull the line of your eyeliner out towards your hair line a TINY bit when you apply your liner. It will give your eyes a pop look.

Linz: The problem with your skin is that you are having acne due to the combination skin yet when you apply the heavy makeup it causes more breakouts, I've been there and I know how irritating it is! My best advice to you is to use a tinted oil-free lotion under your powder. Also, use a loose powder and buff the product into your skin. Neutrogena makes some great makeup products, they really have some of the best stuff ever. However, for acne I would try the new clearasil 3 day guarantee skin care system. It clears up mild acne and reduces the appearance in 3 days. Another thing I would suggest to you is the new neutrogena acne fading peel. It's a peel (it actually just washes off), like 15 bucks, that you put on for 5 minutes 3 times a week and it clears up all the read marks on your face from little breakouts. It takes a couple of times to see a big difference but it's great! Like I said, using a loose oil-free powder (neutrogena has some great ones) and an oil-free tinted moisturizer for a base would be great. Try Dermalogica as the lotion isn't TOO incredibly expensive (like 20 bucks for a bottle) and it lasts a long long time. You can wear it sometimes without makeup if you are going to school and you're tired, etc. I do that often as I'm a college student and enjoy just putting on some tinted moisturizer and going. All I can say to you is that if you use ANY foundations that are over the counter (from walmart, etc) they are very likely to breakout your skin. Powders are different in that respect. There is no reason to use a foundation if you can find a good tinted lotion...and the lotion wont break out your skin, Hope this helps :)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linz_legrand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2005 at 1:40pm

Thank you sooo much Jess!!  I just got out of school today and am planning a shopping trip with my friends for tomorrow and I'll be sure to get the stuff you recommended!  I'd never thought of not using foundation, but I'll be sure to give it a try!  Do you think that Neutrogena's tinted moisturizer, Healthy Defense would be just as effective as Dermalogica, it seems to be a bit more in my price range!  O!  I'm on the Advanced Solutions program/plan thing by Neutrogena so I already have the acne mark fading peel -- it works great!  I also bought the advanced solutions facial peel a while back and that stuff works wonders on the texture of my skin alone -- I highly recommend it!

One last question for you:  I recently purchased a pressed powder by neutrogena -- "Health Skin Blends."  You recommended loose, but would this pressed powder work too or does it make a difference?

Thank you sooo much again for the advice!  You're my hero!!

- Linz

Edited by linz_legrand

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kdprincessjess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2005 at 6:17pm
I'm glad I could help you out :) Neutrogena's tinted moisturizer should work really well...for the summer I would get one that is a tiny bit darker than your skin tone...putting the powder on over it will definately even it out but give you a summery look. I have a med-light skin tone and I use a medium tinted lotion and then put the lighter powders over it. The powders actually stay on better with the tinted lotion rather than the foundation too! The pressed powder from neutrogena should be fine. The reason I like loose powders is that I feel like you can buff them a little more into your skin and create a more even look than with pressed powders, however, different people like pressed or loose powders. The pressed will work well though, a quick trick is that you can always take a loose powder brush and swipe it across the pressed powder...it's actually almost the same thing :) Neutrogena has a GREAT line of products so continue to use them. Good luck and let me know how it goes :)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linz_legrand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2005 at 12:47pm
I'm sorry I have so many questions!

I went to Wal-Mart the other day (god i love Wal-Mart! ) and they were out of the tinted Neurtogena lotion!  Grr!!  haha oh well -- I'll get it next time!

I've been checking out the Clearasil Ultra products, but I'm worried.  I had really bad acne when I was in 5th and 6th grade and my mom bought me some of the Clearasil products.  I broke out in terrible itchy hives.  I think it was because my skin was so young, but I'm not sure.

So my question is do you think the Clearasil Ultra stuff is to powerful?  I don't think I'll have any trouble with it (i've used regular Clearasil since with no problems) but since my acne is only mild and I have combination skin, I'm worried that it was dry my skin out and my "clumping problem" will only get worse!

What do you think?

- Linz

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kdprincessjess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2005 at 2:56am
Linz:

I have combination skin as well and never seemed to break out. However, after the death of a family member my stress levels went crazy and I started breaking out all over my face. I went to the dermatologist a couple of days ago to check what products to use, etc. etc. This is what they said:

Use the Clearsil Ultra wash, scrub and benzoyl peroxide 10% cream...it's one of the best over the counter systems. Use the wash in the morning, the scrub in the evening, and put the BP cream on your t-zone and trouble spots overnight. Rinse and repeat in the morning!

Make sure you don't use ANY products with oil in them at all...foundations, or blushes mainly. Eyeshadows don't really matter. Those clog your pores horribly and will just cause more acne. Once Walmart gets the tinted lotion in stock use that after you wash your face in the morning. You may even want to put a light, oil-free lotion on under the tinted lotion as well. My skin doesn't get dry from the Clearsil at all and I used to HATE Clearsil too. It works great on me now, maybe it's just the Ultra system! Make sure when you apply the BP cream that you apply a thin layer. If your skin peels it's not a big deal at all, just means you applied too much or your skin is a little sensitive to it. It wont peel a lot, just a tiny bit, comes off with exfoliation anyways. So far it's working well for me...and another thing I learned is that the BP cream will not only cleanse you of acne but will also help clear those red post-acne marks everyone gets!

And to help with the clumping problem, make sure that you get a little loose powder brush and you can brush on your compact makeup. It will keep it from looking 'cakey' which is what you mean by clumpy. The clearasil shouldn't make the clumping worse, just don't think you are falling apart if you see a tiny bit of peeling from the BP cream...it's very normal bc of it's strength, which is why my dermatologist said just to wear it at night and not under makeup during the day.

Hope this helps and let me know how it turns out. Keep checking walmart, they will get the lotion in soon I'm sure! :)
Carlotta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carlotta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2005 at 8:07am
Hey Jess, I'm going on holiday in a few weeks and I always put on fake tan and bronzer before I go (yeah i know i'm so sad) but I can't seem to find a bronzer for my face that doesnt make me look like an orange, and doesnt blow out my bank account!! Pleease can you help me?! Reeeeeally need to find a natural looking face bronzer do you know any?
Char xx

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kdprincessjess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2005 at 3:35am
Carlotta:

Have you tried mystic tan? It's completely awesome, relatively inexpensive, and one treatment will last about 7 days. It gets your face and everything REALLY well with absolutely no streaking. I just went for my 21st birthday and got the deepest level (level 3) and couldn't have been happier. If that isn't something you are interested in then I have a lotion I currently use that is great. I will have to find it tomorrow and get the name but I would DEF check into mystic tan. Let me know!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic