Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Flat iron and relaxers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
JGB_123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGB_123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Flat iron and relaxers
    Posted: April 23 2005 at 5:14am
For those of you who use a flat iron.... Do you also use a relaxar? I heard this may be damaging to the hair. Is this true?
Supersugar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Supersugar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2005 at 7:35am
Heat and chemicals are both damaging.  So in conjunction, yes, I'm sure damage is multiplied by using both.
Make every day you have count, before the time comes for you to count every day you have.
niki27 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote niki27 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2005 at 12:38pm
I use a flatiron and I relax my hair.  Im careful not to use the flatiron too much, I know too much heat isnt good for my hair, thats why im looking for a good heat protectant. My hair is very healthy, you can use the flatiron , but in moderation, dont over do it. I flatiron once every two weeks after i wash my hair, but every ones hair is different. (when i need a touch up i use the flatiron alot more to "tame" my roots)
niki
Layla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Layla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2005 at 2:16pm
I use a flat iron and I relax my hair. I just got my Sedu and used it today and my hair looks really nice. Also the relaxer my mom put in a few days ago doesn't look like it worked all the way. We left it on for the same amount of time we usually do but my roots are puffy still. Before with my hot tools flat iron, I only straightened my hair like once a month. But the Sedu works so much better so I don't know how often I'll be using it.
Type: 3c/4a Natural
Current Length: 6"
Goal: Healthy, tip of nose /neck/shoulder length hair.
BC: 02/08/06
Sweet_Ambrosia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sweet_Ambrosia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2005 at 5:28pm

If you flat iron too much and dont use some type of heat protectant than yes it can be damaging to the hair, it doesnt matter if the hair is relaxed, natural or texturized.

My hair is relaxed & healthy, I flat iron once or twice a month to see how much progess Im making, and each time I do I use a heat protectant.

*Transitioned Successfully (7-20-05~7-20-07)
*100 Natural~3c/4a
*Hair Goal: WSL *stretched/straighten* '08
Honeydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honeydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2005 at 12:23am

Layla, what relaxer did you use last time?

Ambrosia, what heat protectant do you use?

I'm actually looking for a good flat iron for my hair and a heat protectant to go with. But, I think when I relax my hair next, I'm going to roller set and wrap.

http://public.fotki.com/Honeydoo
pw: bombay
Layla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Layla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2005 at 10:01am
I used Phytorelaxer.
Sweet_Ambrosia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sweet_Ambrosia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2005 at 6:13pm

Originally posted by Honeydoo Honeydoo wrote:

Ambrosia, what heat protectant do you use?

Ion Anti-Frizz Solutions heat protectant.

*Transitioned Successfully (7-20-05~7-20-07)
*100 Natural~3c/4a
*Hair Goal: WSL *stretched/straighten* '08
Sistaslick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sistaslick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2005 at 11:05pm
I am relaxed and I flat iron w/ my ceramic iron once a month  This is the only time each month that I use any form of direct heat on my hair.
mysweetevie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mysweetevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2005 at 9:03am
Yes, I do. But I like to use a protectant on the hair and a ceramic iron. I keep heat at a minimal too.
sweet like honey!
Honeydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honeydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2005 at 11:29am

Once a month is great. I think I use direct heat about twice a month. Still good I think. As it grows longer I think I'll be able to get away with no heat at all except for in dire emergencies.

Also, sista is the Ion Anti Frizz a watery spray? Does it make the hair sticky or stick to the ceramic iron at all? What kind of iron do you guys use and what setting? (I'm sorry, I have lots of questions.)

http://public.fotki.com/Honeydoo
pw: bombay
Layla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Layla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2005 at 12:50pm
I just got a Sedu and it's great. I've only used it once and I used it between 140 and 160.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Supersugar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2005 at 9:37pm

Fahrenheit or Celsius, Layla?

Make every day you have count, before the time comes for you to count every day you have.
Kim J View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kim  J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2005 at 10:35pm
I use my flat iron once a week or so after washing and blow drying.  My hair is all natural & healthy.  I use it with a heat protectant.
-Happy Hair Days
Kim
Layla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Layla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2005 at 8:19am
I don't know. I'm guessing celcius. yes, it's celcius. Adjustable temperature(240 ºF~410ºF, 120°C - 200°C) for all hair types.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Supersugar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2005 at 2:50pm

Eeep.  That's about where I set mine.

I went to the hairdresser today for my first touch-up since the end of December and she mentioned that the hair in the back of my head is definitely heat-damaged.  That'd be the flatiron - but it's my own fault for using it too often.  There's actually a part that's broken off altogether, and I had a lot of split ends (before she trimmed). 

However, she said that overall, my hair was in great condition - so I guess that I'll have a friend snip individual broken/split strands until July, when she can check me out again.

She recommended Biosilk Heat Protectant unreservedly, which is nice.  I love that stuff.

JGB_123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGB_123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2005 at 3:14pm

Originally posted by Sistaslick Sistaslick wrote:

I am relaxed and I flat iron w/ my ceramic iron once a month  This is the only time each month that I use any form of direct heat on my hair.

Sistaslick- What is your hair type. and also what kind of flat iron do you use.

Layla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Layla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2005 at 9:33pm
Supersugar, how often do you flat iron?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Supersugar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2005 at 10:11am

Waaaay too much.  Usually I flat iron once a week, but around 12 weeks post-relaxer, sometimes as often as three times in one week.  It comes from insecurity.

I used the flatiron once on hair that wasn't entirely dry.  That was a big mistake.  Probably where the burned patch came from.  Oh, well.  Live and learn.

Sistaslick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sistaslick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2005 at 11:00pm
My hairtype is 4a . . . I have an FHI 302RVI model
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic