Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Geting back to the vinegar rinse!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
laststar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laststar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Geting back to the vinegar rinse!
    Posted: April 28 2005 at 10:12am
I have some apple cider vinegar,  and I was just wondering if you dilute it or just put it on directly.  Then shampoo and condition or what would be the best method?

Thanks Starfighter
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2005 at 10:46am

Experiment with dilution to see what leaves you with the best results. I dilute 1/2 cup ACV in 2 cups of water. It's also easy to measure because it fills a 20 oz soda bottle.

my LJ, 40 inches long
GoldieLocks92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoldieLocks92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2005 at 7:09pm
Hmmm, I also just apple cider vinegar and i really just guesstimate the exchange. I just use a big water bottle and pour up about what smells potent enough, lol. I'd just say to experiment with different ammounts. It depends on how long your hair is and how often you use "bad stuff". I'm still experimenting...

~Ali
Hair is BSL+ as of 9/15/05
tdouty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdouty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2005 at 10:36am
Is this actually better than using a clarifying shampoo?  Why use the ACV rinse instead of using a clarifying shampoo?  We use a clarifying shampoo once every two weeks or so.  We do use shampoos and conditioners with cones regularly.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2005 at 1:27pm

IMHO, yes it is. A rinse is less wear and tear than a shampoo because there is minimal "wash handling" (e.g. scrubbing and lathering).

Anais

my LJ, 40 inches long
Katja View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2005 at 3:45pm
I was just wondering, where can I buy apple cider vinegar?  I can't find it anywhere and I'd like to try the rinse because the clarifying shampoo I use now makes my hair break off.
"If you're not failing every now and again, it's a sign you're not doing anything very innovative."
-Woody Allen
eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2005 at 4:53pm
You can get it in the supermarket. It's often sold next to the oils.

I buy a large jug of white distilled vinegar, which is much cheaper.

Edited by eKatherine
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2005 at 6:42pm
A large bottle of distilled white vinegar lasts a long time.  I only use it for 7 Seas salad dressing or vinegar rinses for the hair.  Only 1-2 tablespoons in 32 ounces of water is effective for me.  I use it after the final rinse of the conditioner... squeeze out the excess water, pour on the diluted vinegar rinse, and just let it soak in and run off for a minute or two.  Does a great job of removing buildup.
Carie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2006 at 2:04pm
I also don't have ACV, but white Vinegar, which is simply a proportional mixture of acetic acid, citric acid and water (no apple cidar or sth). I read an instruction on the web, telling to mix 1/2 cup vinegar & 1/2 cup water, apply it to hair, keep it for...(lol, I forgot) around 30 mins I guess, and then shampoo. But I'm carrying on with WO, and my hair's now VERY grasy and sticky from dust buildup on the thick oil tht my scalp produces. Would just a vinegar rinse be enough to wash it away? If so, wht concentration should I use?
NB: This is the first time I'm going to use Vinegar on hair, if I do so.
missrini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missrini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2006 at 7:28pm
It was always my understanding that vinegar does not clarify.

Here is a link to more information about vinegar and it's role.

HTH!

25 inches as at 1st Nov 06
Carie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2006 at 11:05pm
Vinegar's main work to control pH??! But Vinegar's just a proprtional mixture of acetic acid and citric acid (my mom makes it, so I know). And tht sums up to a acidic solution! How can it balance the pH?!

Anyway, if Vinegar doesn't clarify then wht sould I use?? My hair has got soo greasy and dirty. If vinegar does even the smallest amount of clarifying, from other ppl's experiences I think it would do. Because it's just the dirt sticking in my oils tht I need to wash.

Don't know how to vinegar rinse. Please Help!
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2006 at 7:18am
The scalp's Ph is supposed to be slightly acidic.  Conditioners and hard water may leave a more alkaline environment on the scalp, and doing a vinegar rinse last helps adjust this (its only a slight adjustment). 

I do not leave vinegar on my hair 30 min. before washing though, just pour it over after shampooing and conditioning (very dilute of course - like the posts above use), and let it air dry.  I use white vinegar, not apple cider, but I don't think it matters which one you use, I have never seen a difference.

I use it for a slight clarifying (not as good as clarifying shampoo if you use silicones.  If you don't use cones, vinegar will probably be enough).  If you use a heavy conditioner with silicones, use a shampoo that calls itself clarifying.  I also use vinegar rinses because I have hard well water which the acidic vinegar helps to rinse off (removes the calcium that would otherwise sit on my hair making it dull).

I use the method where I pour some in a cup and dip the hair in, then pour the rest over my head (that's diluted with water that is).

If you are having a grease and dirt problem, clarifying isn't really the issue.  You need to wash your hair with shampoo.  If you want to go to WO (water only?) you may just have to do it gradually, the scalp can take months to adjust the amount of oil it puts out.  Wash every once in awhile with shampoo.  Going without shampoo doesn't work for everyone (I can't even go three days...I tried for several months and my scalp never really stopped putting out so much oil, so, just doesn't work for me).

Just a note:  Clarifying with a clarifying shampoo should only be done once every 2 weeks to once a month because its very drying to the hair (you have to condition really well afterwards).  If you do a vinegar rinse, this can be done after every wash and is okay. 

Edited by Susan W - May 25 2006 at 7:52am
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
rhpetunia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rhpetunia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2006 at 7:12pm
When I started using vinegar, I poured it on after conditioning and left it in, but I didn't have that great of results with reducing scalp oil.  Then I tried rinsing it out after applying (still at the end of the shower) and it worked great!  I now wash my hair once per week, and I can wear it down up until the last day without it looking greasy.

It doesn't rinse clean -- even after rinsing my hair smells like vinegar until it is completely dry.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2006 at 2:23am
It depends on your definition of "clarify". Buildup does include mineral deposits. In fact, sometimes the mineral deposits can cause a greater problem than the conditioner residue because it doesn't comb off as easily. The main role of ACV in my routine at least, is to remove mineral deposits and not necessarily conditioner residue... and as a side benefit, keeps scalp itch under control.  Personally, it's been a year since I really used shampoo but product residue hasn't been a problem even with 4 conditioners and a high porosity. I'd imagine a clarifying shampoo wouldn't even be necessary in most cases of radical CO'ers

It's after midnight; I hope this makes sense.
Anais

Edited by AnaisSatin - May 26 2006 at 2:25am
my LJ, 40 inches long
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic