Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Going to Caribbean- Need Hair Help!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AJK279 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AJK279 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Going to Caribbean- Need Hair Help!!
    Posted: May 01 2005 at 4:05pm

I'm leaving to go on vacation this Thursday and it's going to be hot and humid where I am.  I have naturally curly hair that I straighten using a flat iron.  I don't mind wearing my hair wavy on vacation but I just dont want it to be really frizzy.

Has anyone had a similar experience and have any suggestion of a styling method and or a product they can recommend that will help keep my hair from getting really curly and frizzy when i'm on vacation.

Thanks!!

eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2005 at 4:09pm
It can be really, really humid down there, and it can rain at any time. Even I had frizzy hair.

When you get there, go to a local salon and have them braid it into cornrows. Everybody does it on vacation down there, and it costs almost nothing. It sounds like your hair is the ideal type for it, too.

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?
AJK279 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AJK279 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2005 at 4:12pm

Thanks for your help, but I really dont like cornrows in my hair.. they damage my hair and they are really hard to take out.  Does anyone have any suggestion where I wouldnt have to do that?  Thanks.

Sweetcandicurlz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sweetcandicurlz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2005 at 8:53pm
Well, all I can tell you is to moisturize,moisturize, moisturize. Conditioning your hair might not totally take away your frizz, but it will help. Also, someone was telling me that vitamin B really helps hair not to frizz, but that's just what I've heard. Well I don't know what kind of curly hair you have, by that I mean your race b/c different races have different hair textures, but I am black and mexican and what helps my hair when it frizzes are sheen sprays like "isoplus" it comes in a blue can, and "Pink" sheen spray, those really help my hair during the humidity. But my mom is mexican and she has beautiful wavy hair and what she uses for her hair not to frizz is "Infusium 23" and on the front of the one she buys it says it has vitamin B. I guess depending on your hair type besides the fact that it's curly, their are different things you can do. You can find those products I mentioned at Wal Mart and Sally's Beauty Supply. Well I hope I maybe kinda' helped Hope you figure something out and have fun on your vacation!
I love chocolate and monkeys!!I'm the sweetest peanutbutter cup chica you'll ever want to meet! love, hugs, and kisses.
norskygrl21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norskygrl21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2005 at 12:40pm

I have naturally curly/wavy hair that is fine and fairly thick. I was just down in St. Thomas, St. John last week, and I can tell you the key is to moisturize, but in addition, don't forget to use a product with sunscreen, especially if you have color-treated hair! Unless you want sun-bleached hair or sunstreaks, which I am sure is far less damaging on virgin hair. Use a leave-in conditioner (I like Bumble and Bumble Leave-In) and I also used a spray-in sun protectant with Shea Butter and sunscreens. I know people are warned about silicones, but they really do a good job of defrizzing curly hair so you may want to try something along that lines. It did seem really humid, but the strange thing is the two times  I did curl my hair and style it like I normally do, the curls would actually hold instead of flattening out. However I would recommend you not try and fight mother nature and just wear it with your natural wave. If you want a tousled beachy look (without the damage) try Bumble and Bumble Surf Spray. I would also not recommend the braids. Besides looking like a tourist they are hard on your hair and I know someone who swears they contracted head lice either from the pick/comb or the braider.

Layla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Layla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2005 at 7:35pm

Why didn't you go to St. Croix?

Type: 3c/4a Natural
Current Length: 6"
Goal: Healthy, tip of nose /neck/shoulder length hair.
BC: 02/08/06
mitch5150 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mitch5150 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2005 at 1:37pm

Hey AJK,

I'm Mitch5150 I've been a haircutter/hairstylist since 1993. Just to let you know how much experience I have. Use a leave really good leave in conditioner don't use to much of the conditioner but use enough to tame the frizzys. Try letting you hair air dry when it starts to dry (if you want to wear your hair wavy curly) use a large hair pick to pick out the wavy curls don't comb through your hair with the pick this will take out the wavy curl and make your hair look a little straighter. When your hair is dry style your hair into the desired style if you like how the style looks put some hairspray or finishing spray in your hair to keep the style looking good all day. If you have any questions you can email me at customonegtr@rock I would be glad to help you with anything you would like to do with your hair.

Sincerely

mitch5150

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic