Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGina’s Undetectable Strand Demo:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Gina E View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gina’s Undetectable Strand Demo:
    Posted: May 03 2005 at 10:43am

For this method you will use bulk hair to incorporate the extension, just as other methods such as Haipolice, Prostyles, etc...(see Rae's tutorial in the 101 archive for secure braiding techniques) Keeping tension is the most challinging part! It will want to slide away from the scalp! The braid is soooo tiny, but you'll get it! Practice!

Start with a basic three strand braid. Your section should be tiny, apx. 1/8" (or smaller) I think mine could be smaller.I'm still working with this method!

After you braid about 1/4" down, youll use your latch hook and place it between these divided sections: one being soley the extension strand and the other- the natural hair along with the other end of the extension strand. They will be separated from the eachother. So, you'll have 2 strands on one side and 1 on the other.

Wrap the 1 EXTENSION strand around the latch hook and previously divided 2(natural+extension) strands of hair.

Once wrapped twice put the strand in the*hook* Pull down. This sometimes is difficult because of the tension. Be patient! I sometimes use my rattail if I can see the "loop" come through. 

Once it's pulled completly through...you're done!

I've included a few pix for scale and comparison to what I think a pinchbraid would be in size...

Edited by Gina E
amm View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2005 at 11:32am
That fourth photo is awesome! I SO want to learn to do this. I'm
taking off to San Francisco today but I am going to be crushing Cait's
skull between my knees and giving her the braiding torture as soon
as I get home.

Thanks so much for this tutorial.
Kalika View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2005 at 12:03pm
I think Im retarded cause I didnt get it
AfroPuffs View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2005 at 3:40pm

That looks like a winner.  I'm going to have to try this out.  Thanks!

CandiLocks27 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2005 at 3:41pm
ahh im confuzzled.... 
Hugs!

Candi Locks!
Angelfruit View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2005 at 4:08pm
I don't get it ...

My eyes are telling me these are microbraids (just knotted at the
end)

Scotchyroo View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2005 at 4:22pm

How do you remove the braid?  Is it difficult with the hair knotted around the braid?  This looks cool. 

mochachip View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2005 at 4:22pm
I understnad why you would want to use cuticle free hair.  But is there any opposition to using synth?  I would think you could use synth and maybe give it extra staying power with a touch of the heat wand.

But to me, while this is cool, it's not the revolution i had hoped for when I knew nothing of the system.

But I can definitely see why its 'undetectable' and why it would take 3 days.
Gina E View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2005 at 5:05pm

amm: you gotta get a stand!!!! Practice. You gotta keep those first few crossovers pinched and tight. Otherwise they'll slide.

Kalika: ask away and I'll try to explain more thoroughly. Same for you Candi

Angel: Yup!

Scotchy: You cut the knot. That's why I*tried* to explain: separate strand 1 of the natural hair with  strand 2 of extension hair, keep those two pinched aside. Strand 3 of extension hair will remain solo. That is what you use to wrap around the hook and create the knot. This ensures you will only cut extension hair...not yours or a clients, when you do the removal.

Mocha: I used synth for this demo and tried creating the "latch knot" on a pinchbraid. I think it may work! However...a little heat seal couldn't hurt!

Oh yes...This really help me: Saliva! I discovered this by keeping the center of the loose hair in my mouth...it helped me get the braid tighter and the hair to stick together thus making the whole process easier!

Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2005 at 5:43pm
Can someone explain to me how this is different from pinchbraids? I know there's a difference, but I can't quite figure it out.

By the way (I also said this on the other microillusions thread), I understand why you'd theoretically not want to overlap cuticle hair on itself, but I've had pinchbraids (which are also overlapped at the root) with both cuticle and noncuticle hair (including Bohyme, H&H Cuticle, Sepia, WigPro, Italian Minx, and even GLs hair), and I've never had any problem with cuticle matting at the roots. :)
AfroPuffs View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2005 at 6:03pm

This method doesn't use thread Jenny.  This is actually similar to how they do it in the african brading shops when they do invisibles and tie the micro off with the hair vs using thread. 

It's impossible to overlap 100% cuticle hair and not experience tangling.  It turns into a tangled mess.  I have some cuticle hair that when they made the weft they overlapped the hair too far and I literally had to cut off the excess over lap because it was matting even before I had the chance to put it in. 

I would guess that you can still do micros and pinchbraids using cuticle hair but they'd have to make sure the overlap is braided.

How did you use GL hair for pinchbraids?  I thought that was fusion.

Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2005 at 6:13pm
Well, I had about 75 GLs strands left over (I hated the method, so I stopped using it), so I cut off the tips and my stylist braided them in. But seriously, I've used all those brands with pinchbraids--Bohyme, GLs, H&H Cuticle--and my stylist never braids in the excess. About 1 1/2 inch remains loose, and I've really never had problems. :)
Donda View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2005 at 7:12pm

Very nice!
Thick 4A Hair, Relaxed every 8 weeks. Contributing writer at xicamagazine.4t.com
AfroPuffs View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2005 at 9:11pm

Originally posted by Jenny_RR Jenny_RR wrote:

Well, I had about 75 GLs strands left over (I hated the method, so I stopped using it), so I cut off the tips and my stylist braided them in. But seriously, I've used all those brands with pinchbraids--Bohyme, GLs, H&H Cuticle--and my stylist never braids in the excess. About 1 1/2 inch remains loose, and I've really never had problems. :)

Bohyme isn't cuticle hair.  All the cuticles are removed so I can see how that one works.  As far as the others- you said you only leave 1 1/2 inch out.  That's not a lot compared to folding the entire length of the hair over, so If it works for you then that's cool.  That small amount you leave out obviously is okay.  But I still don't recommend it, the cuticle hair I have that I was talking about folds over about 2 inches to weft it and it gets tangled.  The nature girl only folds over about 1/4 of an inch when they sew it on a weft and there's no problems. 

When I get micros, the fold over the entire length of the hair.  I'd never dream of using cuticle hair for that.  *shivers at the thought*

Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2005 at 6:39am
OK, I gotcha. For some reason, I was thinking the microillusions only had a 1 1/2 inch overlap, too, but I see what you're saying--that the entire strand is overlapped. Thanks for clarifying, AP. :)
Bridget View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2005 at 8:56am
Wow Gina, That's pretty serious looking!  Did you learn any other methods at that class ya wanna share??  Great pictures!
AfroPuffs View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2005 at 9:15am

Originally posted by Jenny_RR Jenny_RR wrote:

OK, I gotcha. For some reason, I was thinking the microillusions only had a 1 1/2 inch overlap, too, but I see what you're saying--that the entire strand is overlapped. Thanks for clarifying, AP. :)

I think it depends on the braider and how it's done. I know that Bernadette does not use cuticle hair to do her micro illusions because she folds over the entire length of the hair. But Jaz at agape on the other hand does use remi cuticle hair because she she does not fold the entire length of the hair. So it's all up to the braider.

When I get micro braids, which is totally different than micro-illusions, my braider folds over the entire length of the hair so cuticle hair is not an option.

amm View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2005 at 11:14am
OK, I need to see the photo that goes between the first and second one. How are you starting your braid around the one strand of hh? :)
Kalika View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2005 at 1:42pm

ohhh, thank you, you cleared it up a binch for me, the new pics are a big help :)

Ive been doing micro pinch braids before, they're much easier to do then bigger ones.  never tied them off without thread before.

zapevaj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2005 at 1:56pm
Amm it's a standard extension braid; the same way as you would start a pinchbraid, only without the thread in there. Quinnster's page on braiding explains the basic method: http://www.quinnster.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/braids.ht ml

Also, Gina, those pinchbraids look pretty good!

-Rae
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic