Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

heavy/light OILS?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
oskana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: heavy/light OILS?
    Posted: May 06 2005 at 8:31am
can someone give me a breakdown on what are the heavy and light oils?
eatgreenjello View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eatgreenjello Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2005 at 3:23pm

A good way to classify essential oils is by volatile vs. nonvolatile.  Volatile essential oils are pure 100% oils such as ylang ylang, rosemary, chamomille.  They can NOT be put directly onto the skin, and come in small bottles.  They need to be mixed with a carrier oil.  All carrier oils are NON-volatile.  They are almond oil, jojoba oil, grapeseed oil, apricot kernal oil, coconut oil.  Carrier oils come in larger bottles.

Volatile essential oils (eo's) are the ones that have scents.  Nonvolatile oils/carrier oils don't have any scent or a very light light scent.  All volatile oils have pretty much the same consistency, very light.  The carrier oils are much heavier and thick. 

Did this help you?  What are you using them for?

**Hair type: 2a, which is wavy and fine.
**Color: Naturally dark brown, currently dyed reddish brown.
**Length: below shoulder length
oskana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2005 at 3:25pm
yes you have really helped me. thank you so much. I plan to start using them for my hair, face, and body treatments.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eatgreenjello Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2005 at 12:06pm

That's great, I'm glad I helped.  I use carrier oils in my hair, face and body.  You can add them to your conditioners and lotions.  Grapeseed oil is known to have astringent properties, if you have oily skin.  It's also nourishing in hair products.  Apricot kernal and jojoba carrier oils are very good for dry skin and great in hair products and lotions.  I stay away from 100% essential oils in my skin lotions because they can irritate the skin.  If you are going to use essential oils in your hair products, don't get them near your scalp because they are irritating to the scalp. 

A great website to learn more about carrier and essential oils is:  www.essentialoils.co.ca

Have fun!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eatgreenjello Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2005 at 12:09pm

jennwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jennwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2005 at 9:13am

I am interested in either an essential or carrier oil that can promote hair growth as well help with my dandruff/psoriais scalp problems. I am a 24 year old black women who has allergice reaction with hair products that contain chemicals and petrolaum and mineral oil. I really want to start using the type of oils that someone posted in the group. I really need help with my hair and scalp. I want something that is light and will not cause an allergic reaction to my scalp or hair.

Also my mother who is a diabetic suffers from hair loss because of the medication that she takes, I was wondering if there is a hair oil that will help her too.

Please help me.

Thanks,

Jen

carameldiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carameldiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2005 at 4:46pm
sweet almond oil , apricot kernel oil  and wheatgerm oils are great add a few drops of rosemary oil or tea tree oil to these and you are good to go. Massage it in your scalp and hair for 10 to 15 mins. Hope this helps, Jen.
Me and you, your cousin and your momma too rollin on da strip on bow's
NaturalBeauty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NaturalBeauty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2005 at 10:47am

Jen

I make all natural skin care products and some of my products are for hair.  I have a shampoo that is gentle and moisturizing.  I use herbs because they have very strong healing properties and may help with the problems you mentioned.  I use essential and carrier oils and I think they work great.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic