Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

newbie needs HELPPPPPP!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
teachvan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teachvan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: newbie needs HELPPPPPP!!
    Posted: May 16 2005 at 8:19pm

I was told by a wella colorist that ash and violet are the same.. I don't beleive this to be true.... Ash is lack of pigment but violet carrys pigment.. would someone please tell me what is the difference in these two colors... this started out by me explaining i used violet to tone bleached hair and not ash because when i tried ash before to blend it didn't pull the red and deposit a light brown. when i used ash it to a green... please help. i need to know the differences in these two colors and when to use each of them... thanks

TanglesRC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TanglesRC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2005 at 1:02pm

violet tones yellow and orange. ash tones red. but a color wheel at a beauty supply- each color cancels out another one.

violet is good to cancel out brass and orange- however dont leave on too too long, could turn hair gray

Scotchyroo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scotchyroo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2005 at 5:02pm
IF you want to deposit light brown you need a neutral tone. 
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2005 at 7:46am
Its confusing because sometimes the name they assign the dye is "ash", but if you're in blonde shades that could be a violet base which makes the hair ash by countering the yellow (like TanglesRC said), and on occasion it could be green, and if you're in darker shades it will more likely mean a green base because the green counters warm tones more likely to be orange or red (though, of course, not always).   Best to always check the base color, not go by the name.
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
bedhedgrl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bedhedgrl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2005 at 12:06pm
  I had the same problem in school.  I learned ash is grey/green and now avoid it like the plague.  Violet is great, love it.  In Wella the /8 are great, and those truffle colour are awsome browns. Some Wella reps are great and they give you colour-combo's, and the hotline is so informative.  Good luck girl........
Bedhedgrl :>o
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic