Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

*-+ INFO NEEDED: PRETIPPING (AGAIN)+-*

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
plastikhaar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plastikhaar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: *-+ INFO NEEDED: PRETIPPING (AGAIN)+-*
    Posted: June 12 2005 at 6:21am
hey girls

okay, can you answer me the following questions... ?

- is it correct that you put keratin, silikon or craft glue in the human hair
just that it holds together and single hair may not fall out?
correct? so theres no actually need of geeting that glue melded again?
( yes i know for prebonded its needed ; ) but im talking about pretipps
only!)
- does the pretipped part needs to be elastic?

- so why the nail glue, LG cover? is it cause of the slippering?
that it hold up better in the shrinkie or microring...?

just had a very good idear about synth, but im not sur if this works
; )

plastikhaar experimenting : )

thanks, sara

Edited by plastikhaar
need some great hair?
plastikhaar hair.supply
sherrie215 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2005 at 6:36am

hi Sara...we love you for taking the time to do all this experimenting!

For the pretips you need just enough glue to hold the hair together. But without enough glue the pretip will shed. The top coat helps to prevent shedding and to help the pretip from melting under the heat and also it helps the tip stay intact so when you remove them the tip doesnt fall apart. When I do pretips I really work alot of glue through the tip, let it set a bit and then squeeze out the excess glue.

Not sure what you mean by elastic? If you mean soft or flexible or not hard, no it doesnt need to be elastic. It would be nice to come up with something that would make a soft flexible pretip, but so far I dont think anyone has!

Hopefully that helped you!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plastikhaar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2005 at 7:06am
hi sherrie

yes it really helped..

actually thats what i wanted to hear.... ; )

oh and amanda if you read this:
in your opinion: you said synth doesnt work with keratin!
is it not holding up very good together? do the hairs fall out?

thanks
sara
need some great hair?
plastikhaar hair.supply
Scotchyroo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scotchyroo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2005 at 7:50am
I think the reason some pre-tippers bother with Liquid Gold (latex glue) is that it leaves the tip flexible to some degree which gives a better install;  but as Sherrie said, I don't think it's crucial.  In my opinion, if the tip is going to be rock hard, it also needs to be very small.  Thanks for getting involved.
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2005 at 8:35am

scotchy, LG and latex arent the same. But you are right about latex, it is a more flexible tip. But once you put a top coat whether it be LG or nail glue it hardens the tip. I use mostly medium sized pretips and they work well. But Ive tried pretips with keratin, latex, Aleenes all without the topcoat and they all shed. Seems (at least for me) they required a topcoat. My pretip of choice is Aleenes w/nailglue.

I think Amm may be the one to chime in here, she is the resident expert on pre-tipping!

Question for Amm: Do you think that pretipping with LG only works well? Do you think LG requires a top coat of nailglue? ( OK....2 questions)

Scotchyroo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scotchyroo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2005 at 9:00am
OOps,  thanks Sherrie!!
amm View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2005 at 9:22am
I'm with sherrie - pretipping with Aleene's & nail glue is a great overall method.

If you get a thimble sized container and fill it about halfway with nail glue, dip your cured tips in there for the final top coat. It goes speedy and you don't have to go drop by drop. A nice little dunking and then setting it over the edge of the counter and it's completely ready in under 5 minutes.

Those tips also store the best because they don't stick to one another like latex and LG only. Aleene's by itself does turn soggy in a water soak. Getting them wet is fine but keeping them submerged in water turns them soft. They immediately harden back up when dry but the tips can be very vulnerable when wet or with a lot of humidity.

My next tips I make will be a 50/50 combo of Aleene's and latex. I want the ease, fast drying, and non-sticky tips that Aleene's makes but with the protection of latex when wet.

LG has the best hold but is by far the worst to deal with because of that inadequate brush and the way it gets so thick in the bottle. The best way to use it is to fan out your hair, drizzle it on and then push it in with a depressor or plastic utensil/whatever and then separate the hair off to make your tips. LG sets up pretty quick so you'd have to do small sections at a time. Another drawback is that it's expensive, comparably speaking.

My best results, though, for shrinkies have been with a top coat of Liquid Gold. It adds the extra grab that keeps the tip secure. But that's just my personal preference. By the time I'm ready to remove the tips or they start slipping out, it's 8 weeks or so and I'm wanting new hair and to get the shed hair out anyway.

It's hard to say what the majority would want. Even my favorite methods and combinations have drawbacks another method doesn't. But then that other method will have a problem as well, etc. etc.

Kalika View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kalika Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2005 at 9:44am
I dont think the glue brand matters so much for pretipping for shrinkies/microlinks as long as its waterproof and dries clear.  Ive used a few diffrent glues with success
Amanda8Beechwoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amanda8Beechwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2005 at 12:55pm
Hi there Sara, yes I found that the hair shed an awful lot with the keratin tipping it.  I've done some tipping with regular craft glue and that seems to hold it really tight once in the shrinkie though.  The keratin would probably hold the plastikhaar in the shrinkie but I doubt it very much that it would hold up just in rings xx

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plastikhaar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2005 at 2:44pm
: )

thanks girls

i think i might have THE solution : )

gotta test that!

sara
need some great hair?
plastikhaar hair.supply
Amanda8Beechwoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amanda8Beechwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2005 at 3:04pm
oooo keep us posted x
Chris H. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris H. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2005 at 6:55pm
I think the LG really helps to make sure that there is no shedding. That's just my opinion!
sansconformist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sansconformist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2005 at 8:42pm
I'm picturing Sara holed up like a mad scientist somewhere, surrounded by chemicals in a glowing room...lol. Actually I'm picturing her somehow just melting  the PH itself to form tips. That would be neat.

Edited by sansconformist
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2005 at 10:00pm
HOLY CRAP sans....you may be on to something there! Now theres an idea worth playing with. Has anyone tried this? What about using the heatwand on a low setting and slightly melting the PH into a tip? Or would it be brittle? Sounds like something to play with. Maybe Sara has the solution!
mochachip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mochachip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2005 at 10:05pm
I thought someone had tried the melting the hair into itself idea a few months ago.  And I thought it didn't go well.

But I could be dreaming.
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2005 at 10:11pm
I dont know Mocha....maybe someone did try it?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plastikhaar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2005 at 12:30am
hehehe thats actually what im trying..

synth hair is so simple... just seal it.-.

i do have several heating tools and results are very different.

i do have one wich melts the hair completely trough...but im not sure...
im afraid thats a bit too much... might break

gonna buy nailglue now : )

sara

Edited by plastikhaar
need some great hair?
plastikhaar hair.supply
Kalika View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kalika Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2005 at 4:27am
yeah, I melted it before to form tips, they either broke off, or had sharp edges that I wouldnt want to put on anyones hair for fear of it getting mauled like the hairlocks rings.

Edited by Kalika
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic