Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

nails are weak

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
babygirl20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote babygirl20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: nails are weak
    Posted: June 16 2005 at 12:23pm
why are my nails so weak? does anyone have a solution to this problem? please
Claude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2005 at 6:33am

Are your toenails the same way? You could be lacking proper nutrition in your diet that is causing the problem. Maybe not getting enuff protein in your diet.

Are your nails just thin and curve over the free edge like an eggshell? Those type of nails tend to break easy and are very fragile.

Do you goto a salon for nail services regularly? What about your cuticles how do they look? Have you had tips pu on recently? Gel or Acrylic Nails?

Give us more info and I can better help you.

Whatever you do please avoid most of the asian chop shop nail salons....most are unlicensed except for 1 or 2 people and they are unsanitary. Every Nail Tech is required by law to have their license posted at their station where they are working. If you goto a place and don't see a license for the nail tech who is working on your nails....ask to see it. If they don't have one....get up and walk out cuz they most likely have no F'in clue what they are doing.

Oh and if ya get fills for acrylic or gels and they break out the nail drill......say PUT THAT THING DOWN I DON'T WANT YOU JACKING UP MY NAIL BED AND PERMANENTLY PUTTING RIDGES IN MY NATURAL NAILS. This is something that usually happens as a result of a inexperienced person using a drill. They can accomplish the same thing with a nail file they are just too damn lazy to file it down.

Some people think acrylics ruins their nails...that is NOT TRUE! It's the nail tech who damaged the nail bed and matrix of the nail and that is why some people have permanent ridges in their nails because of the inexperienced nail tech.

So if you must just go get frequent manicures. If your cuticles and skin on our hands are bad ask for a Parafin wax treatment to help with that. Frequent visits every 2 weeks will help to improve your nails but also remember diet is an important part of healthy looking nails too.

G'luck

Kim328 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kim328 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2005 at 5:55pm
I take prenatal vitamins (you can buy them right off the shelf at WalMart, KMart, drugstores, etc.)  You would not believe how strong your nails will get, how fast they will grow, and it does the exact same thing to your hair!!

Edited by Kim328
curvediva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote curvediva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2005 at 8:43pm

Some time weak nails with a red base is a sign of a thryoid problem.  Is your hair thinning? If so...see your doctor....

Try some nail harder. wear gloves when washing dishes or  just cleaning.   

Ms. Curve Diva
aseya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aseya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2005 at 9:45am
Hey!
I have REALLY weak nails. My mom's are the same. Her manicurist once told her to cut a peice of garlic in half and rub it on the nail. I tried it and it really did seem to make them much stronger. But the smell! OH! The horror! :)
Then I tried OPI's nail envy. I really liked that it made them really strong and I even stopped biting for a while. I've been using Sally Hansen's Maximum Growth nail polish and it really has made my nails stronger and they've grown, but I think if it were just to make them strong, I'd recommend OPI's stuff.
My nails got weaker cuz I was a shampoo girl and they were always wet and cuz I like to keep changing my polish so I think the constant use of nail polish remover didn't help.
Hope that helped!
kimberlily View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kimberlily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2005 at 8:12am

Prenatal vitamins do help, but a woman who is not pregnant or nursing can't use all the vitamins and minerals and they can be damaging over time. The magic ingredient that is in prenatal vitamins that helps with nail and hair growth is Biotin. Go to the drugstore or health food store, and pick up a bottle of Biotin. It did wonders for my thin nails, and makes my hair grow much faster.

I also swear by OPI's nail envy and their Avoplex oil for my cuticles.

baller5000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baller5000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2005 at 5:55pm
hmmmmmmmm.....
pinky21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinky21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2006 at 3:40pm
I take vitamin E and Beta Carotene tablets twice a day and my nails grow stronger and longer. Only thing with the vitamins they take longer to show effect than other methods but it helps my nails grow the way I want and I do not have toworry about a rinky dink salon putting on falsies.
Pinky21
tommygrl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommygrl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2007 at 12:38am
try nailtiques on your nails and make sure ur taking the proper vitamins
sofine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sofine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2007 at 7:47pm
I take a multi vitamin complex that happens to contain a substantial amount of Biotin along with minerals, food enzyme complex, herbal stress & energy support blends, antioxidants and superfoods. It's Rainbow Light's Advanced Nutritional System Multivitamin. My nails are hard as rock, grow at a good pace, and my skin is very happy. I'm not particulary kind to my nails.... never wear rubber gloves when cleaning, bite them when I'm stressed, and....I'm a smoker! (please don't shoot me people) Oh, I also try to keep up on the Omega 3 oils (including flax), and eat a wide range of healthy foods (deep green veggies, red fruits) so that I can still enjoy a good steak now and again. Anyway, I digress....hope this helps!
SoFine
brunett_bunny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brunett_bunny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2007 at 10:05am
Originally posted by babygirl20 babygirl20 wrote:

why are my nails so weak? does anyone have a solution to this problem? please

other than nutriotion and stuff blah blah blah this nail polish helped my weak nails a LOT

Aggie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aggie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2007 at 11:48pm

Hi Babygril,

I removed acrylics off of my nails at the end of June after 13 years of continuous wear and decided I'll do what most of the famous stars are doing now - wear my  nails natural. As you can imagine, I was a little apprehensive about this big change in my appearance.

In July, I started taking this awesome product called Biosil by Jarrow Formulas. It comes in the extract form and also capsule. I take the extract form in a little juice (about 2 0z) because it is really bitter. With juice, it's awesome. I bought it off a site called www.vitacost.com, but you could also find it on www.vitadigest.com along with a ton of other very helpful vitamins (inexpensive).

In concert with Biosil, I take GNC's Nutrihair (loaded with biotin, MSM, and amino aicds) and Twinlab's Hair Factors (also loaded with biotin, inositol and PABA). I only take half dosage of the hair vitamins daily. I use Nailtique's Formula II nail hardener - AWESOME NAIL STRENGTHENER and in less than 2 months I have half inch nails (I keep them this length for practicality) that are incredibly strong. I don't care for too much polish so I simply wear them natural with just the nailtiques hardener and a fleshy color.

One day I was in my living room lifting weights and one of my 12lb dumbbell dropped on my right pinkie nail as I was putting on the floor, and I couldn't believe it didn't break.  My actual finger was in a lot of pain - but no nail breakage.

BTW - I do drink about 10-12 glasses of water a day. I take protein shakes as my mid-morning and mid-afternoon snacks as well for my weight lifting, but it works wonders for my hair, skin and nails as well.

Edited by Aggie - October 05 2007 at 11:48pm
Bahama Mama...Enjoyed my stay, but He'll take me away like a thief in the night!! I'm ready now Lord, so take me by surprise.
mnapril143 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mnapril143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2012 at 9:42pm
You know what.. Please take care for your nails. I encourage you to eat lots of food that has best to keep it strong.

Edited by Administrator - June 20 2012 at 9:27am
mnapril143 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mnapril143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2012 at 9:49pm
Yeah that's true.. I agree wit you.

Edited by Administrator - June 20 2012 at 9:27am
boconnor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boconnor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2012 at 9:39am
Most hair vitamins have the added benefit of improving nails so you might try one of them. Also, my nails seem to grow significantly when I spend time in the sun.
pinkpig View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinkpig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2012 at 11:01pm
Your nails are weak, because you are lack of some vitamines ( but i'm sorry I don't know clearly which one or ones.). 
aledsnape View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aledsnape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2012 at 8:05am
vitamins vitamins vitamins! look for vitamins at the store that will help your nails grow. Also look for vitamins that have ZINC! Zinc can be found it almost all nuts. It makes your nails super strong! Also drink lots of water and look for protein rich foods.
Also, massage your nails with lotion/olive oil every day for about a week and you should see improvements on your nail growth! Star massaging a little olive oil/lotion onto your cuticle and work your way up until the whole nail is covered in the lotion/olive oil. massage for about 10 seconds for each finger.
rosaclinic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosaclinic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2012 at 2:39am
soak your nails in olive oil daily for about 10-15 minutes. wear gloves while washing dishes.. detergents might be harmful for ur nails. use multivitamins daily. avoid using nail polishes .
Calanthia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calanthia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2013 at 9:03pm
in general it happens due to lack of calcium in ur body so just take calcium 

Edited by Karen Shelton - November 28 2013 at 2:25am
shinning_likeme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shinning_likeme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2013 at 6:41am
Can Anyone help me to know that is Cod liver oil capsulkes fine to take once a day. I live in India and here the brand of Seven Seals is available
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic