Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Help with orange hair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
cheriej View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheriej Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help with orange hair
    Posted: June 19 2005 at 12:10am

Hi All,

Five days ago I dyed my hair a brownish red color with a few highlights using Colour Expert, which is permanent. My highlights turned a light orange, with the base a darker orange with some brown. It was not a good color, so today I went to Sally's and bought color fix and a light biege blonde, with a violet base, prm to try and correct the lighter orange I figured it would turn after color fixing it. Well I used the CF twice, my hair came out a light orange, with the highlited parts some lighter yellow / orange color. I then used the perm. blonde only to end up with a slightly darker orange color.

My natural shade is dark blonde. I want to go back to something as close to that as possible and maybe highlight down the road. I can't afford to go to a salon right now so I wanted to know if I should try a dark blonde or a light brown over the orange I have now or bleach and then color the dark blonde. I worried about turning green if I don't bleach first. My hair is in pretty good shape, I could use a deep conditioning but can do that after. TIA!

swede View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2005 at 6:16am

First of all was the new toner semi/demi permanent or permanent?

If it's not permanent you should try to fade the haircolor using Tide washing up liquid, and deep condition a lot, cause that also fades haircolor. (you can leave the deep conditioner in for hours, it's only good for your hair). If it's permanent you may need colorfix again.

Then you could cover it all up by using a neutral base blonde toner, or go even lighter.

If you want to go lighter you'll need a bleach,

wella wellite creamlite is a good one, use it with 10 or 20 volume, since you don't want it to process too fast. Then depending on what level you want you will have to bleach to yellow or pale yellow

Then a toner, choose a low peroxide no-ammonia toner to spare your hair. Like a Born Blonde toner.

If you just feel like going darker and don't want to bleach your hair anymore, I'd suggest you start by fading the current toner as much as you can. Then use a neutral blonde dye to cover it up.

Try Wella colorcharm 711* Medium Blonde with 20 volume developer.

Remember you'll have to pick a dye that is two levels lighter than your actual target level, since bleached hair absorbs much more color than virgin hair.

cheriej View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheriej Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2005 at 3:36pm

The new one was a permanent color beige blonde, which I thought was neutral, and would cover it all but it basically did nothing after color fixing twice. Still orange, not bright but orange.

Can I bleach or cover with the darker color without colorfixing again, or will it stay orange?

eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2005 at 9:01pm
Clearly you've gotten as much color out as you're going to with the colorfix.

You can only go darker with dye. Blond can't "cover" orange or any other color. So you would have needed to bleach the color to a shade lighter than you needed it. You can still try this, it's just impossible to predict what condition your hair will be in when you're done.

You can go darker without colorfixing again or bleaching. This is the best thing for your hair, and demipermanent is the way to go.

On the bright side, it's unlikely that orange hair will turn green when you try to color it light brown.

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?
cheriej View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheriej Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2005 at 11:11pm

I'm going to go ahead and go darker. Can I buy a semipermanent brand from the grocery store or should I go back to Sally's?

When I use the darker shade will it come out as indicated or will it be darker? My natural shade is dark blonde and I want to get close to that at least. Could you give me any color suggestions to choose from?

Also, will I need to continue bying the semipermanent? It washes out right? I've only ever used permanent before, so I'm not familiar with semi and correcting or trying to correct color.

Thank You

eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2005 at 6:36am
Considering how much damage there might be to your hair, I would recommend getting a demipermanent color at Sally's. This will not damage your hair further.

To be on the safe side you should choose a shade two levels lighter than you want.

You will have to redo this regularly, but as it's not damaging, you can do it as often as you like, or until you have enough virgin hair to do something new and different.

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?
leia1979 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leia1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2005 at 8:53pm
Part of the reason the beige blonde dye didn't work is that you need an ashy color to counteract orange.  From a light orange, you can probably get a very lovely light brown using either a light ash brown (to end up with a neutral to cool brown) or a neutral brown (to have a warm or even reddish brown).  When you go to pick a color, just remember the color wheel.

My personal favorite in semi permanent color is Clairol Colorgloss (from beauty supply stores).  You could use their 8A shade (light ash blonde) and mix it with 6A (dark ash blonde) and get what most people would consider a dark blonde (Colorgloss tends to run dark).  You'd probably have to refresh the color once a month.  It will also leave your hair quite shiny.
cheriej View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheriej Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2005 at 10:23pm
Thank you both very much. I'll go to Sally's this week and let you know how it turned out.
cheriej View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheriej Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2005 at 12:33am

Update:

OK, I used the Clairol Colorgloss and mixed the two colors together, the light ash blonde and the dark ash blonde. It covered the orange well, a little darker than I'd like but that's ok.

The only thing is that my bangs, where the color was accually light blonde and not orange, they have a grayish tint to them. That makes them a little darker than the rest of my hair and it stands out in certain light.

I thought that I read on here that you can use dish soap or liquid laundry soap and it will fade the semi permanet color.

Is that right?

I'd rather my bangs be a lighter blonde then have that funny tint to them. So I'd like to just fade my bangs, if that makes sense.

Thanks

Veronica F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Veronica F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2005 at 8:49am

Don't worry too much abt the darker color...colorglosses have a tendancy to go much darker than what is shown on the swacth, in any case another thing they have a tendancy for is quick fading so it'll get lighter in a couple of weeks and closer to the color on the swatch...but if ur really in a hurry u could use a dandruff shampoo to take it out. You could also use the liquid soap to fade it but that pretty drying to the hair, just as long as you condition after!

cheriej View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheriej Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2005 at 3:29pm

I wanted to know about swimming. I'm guessing that chlorine will fade it too. I just don't want to go swimming with one color and come out with another

Also, after a couple of months of using the semi and a good trim (my ends are kinda fried) would it be alright to use a permanent so I can just let it grow out?

If so, what color permanent should I use to get the same color as the semi has given me or a little lighter? Should I stick with the ash? Light or dark or mixed again?

Remember, I'm covering light orange.

leia1979 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leia1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2005 at 8:40pm
Before you go swimming, put some leave-in conditioner in your hair, then rinse your hair (or even shampoo) ASAP when you're done swimming.  That will cut down on the chlorine damage.

Be aware when your hair starts growing out that you may not want to put ash blonde on the new growth (or you'll get the over-ashyness you experienced with your fringe). 

Honestly, what you'll need to use will be dictated by what your hair looks like in a couple of months--that's hard to predict.  You might only need a neutral dye next time, or a neutral mixed with an ash.  It just really depends on what the color fades to.
cheriej View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheriej Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2005 at 11:51pm

OK, just so I understand. When my color starts to fade will it go back to being orange like it was or will it still have some of the semi color in it?

When I put the semi on it again after this first application fades will I maybe need to use the neutral then too, or will I just need to wait and see what color I'm working with?

Sorry so many questions. I just don't want to mess up again.

Thanks

leia1979 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leia1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2005 at 1:05pm
The reason I can't tell you what color to use next time is that I don't know what it will fade to.  The odds are that it will not go back to orange.  It may end up a warmer or brassier shade than you want, but it will most likely not be full-blown orange again because semi permanents usually stick to porous hair quite well.

You will have to wait and see what color you end up with to determine what color you use.  The most likely case is that it will go warmer, but not orange, so you'd probably want to mix an ash and a neutral shade to cut the warmth without going greyish.

Your best bet will be to wait until it starts to fade, take a picture of your hair, and post here again.  Good luck!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic