Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shapleys Original Mane-Tail-Groom

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Honeydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honeydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shapleys Original Mane-Tail-Groom
    Posted: June 21 2005 at 11:56am

Does anyone use it? If so, what were your results? I've read raves about it and alot of the feed stores that carry it are on back order because it's used alot by women.

Shapleys - Original Mane and Tail

Shapleys Original Mane and Tail. Conditioner and dermatitis treatment. Produces visible hair growth in five days when used as a conditioner.

Edited by Honeydoo
http://public.fotki.com/Honeydoo
pw: bombay
Renee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2005 at 12:57pm
i use it and i havent used it consistently enough or long enough to tell if im gaining extra inches from it
BrownEyez2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrownEyez2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2005 at 1:14pm
I'm using it as well, but only for about 2wks now. I'm about 5wks post relaxer and have a good amount of new growth, but nothing "out of the ordinary" yet. I haven't measured or anything, but plan on using it up until my next relaxer to see what happens. I've read raves about it as well and have seen some before/after pics on LHCF (which prompted me to try it I must say). I was kinda skeptical at first and did the patch test, etc. but I haven't had any adverse reactions thus far...
~~LIVE YOUR BEST LIFE!~~
Honeydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honeydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2005 at 5:35pm
Thats good to hear! I think I might have to break my piggy bank and go for it. Where did you purchase yours?
Renee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2005 at 9:28pm
i bought mine from the shapley's website i think....the trial size. do a search on lhcf. there was a post where a lady found the website with the cheapets price. also, i think you could try a pet store like petsmart or whatever
carameldiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carameldiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2005 at 9:46am
I have used mine off and on for a few months- just started using it fairly consistently over the last 5 weeks- i must say that i love the way it softens and moisturizes my hair. I did notice substantial growth when using this product while in braids and twists. I got a inch in 3 weeks with my cornrows. So i will continue to use this 2 to 3 times a week for the rest of the year- i have a 32 oz bottle left so i may have to reup when this one is half done.
Me and you, your cousin and your momma too rollin on da strip on bow's
Renee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2005 at 11:37am
hmmmm...i hope i have the same results as you caramel
sugaplum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sugaplum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2005 at 11:54am

I'm still a little sceptical  on this product.  Isn't this for horses only?  Has this been tested safe for human hair? 

I think the rapid growth is amazing, but it just makes me question...Hmmm

100% Natural
BC - 4/21/07
Love All Gods' Creatures
BabyImaStarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabyImaStarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2005 at 1:08pm
I have heard a lot about this product and I bought the sample size from www.shapleys.com, but I am scared to use it because after I bought it, I started hearing that it caused a few people to have itchy scalps.  You get a good amount in the sample and I have tried a little of it in my hair, but I don't think that I can EVER get past that smell.
http://public.fotki.com/babyimastarr

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrownEyez2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2005 at 9:09pm
I actually purchased mine at a grocery store in my area that has an equine section (TX) and got a good price @ only 7.99 for the 32oz bottle!! Like I said, I haven't gotten any bad reactions or itchy scalp from it. I researched it thoroughly before buying it and also read all the post on Shapley's website as well as lhcf and other forums. It is a product currently marketed for horses, but originally was made for human use (see shapleys.com for more info).  The smell is different but, I must say for me, is not overwhelming or unpleasant. I apply sparingly @ night on my scalp, massage in & wrap w/ silk scarf and by morning the scent is less noticeable. Anyway, the verdict is still out until I've at least used my 32oz bottle then I'll have to see if it's worth purchasing again...
~~LIVE YOUR BEST LIFE!~~
kally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2005 at 2:11pm

I just placed a order for it today. I can not wait to get it.

"God makes no mistakes" he created you the way you are suppose to be.
Renee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2005 at 2:55pm
i mixed mine with sta sof fro and added a few drops of ylang ylang and lavender EOs.
Honeydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honeydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2005 at 7:21pm

Does anyone know what the difference is between Shapley's and Straight Arrow Mane n Tail?? Is it the same formula??

I work with animals and it's amazing how many of their products are safe for us and vice versa. (did you know dogs can take Benadryl and Pepcid AC??). I'm not sure of the ingredients In Shapley's but the ingredients in Straight Arrow are okay for humans.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrownEyez2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2005 at 7:47pm

HoneyDoo, I'm not sure about the Mane 'n Tail but the Shapley's ingredients are below. The following is an email from LHCF that one of the members received after emailing the company for the ingr.(they are not listed on the bottle) :

Thank you for your email regarding, Shapley's Original M-T-G. It was formulated in the 1930’s for human use to treat a variety of skin problems such as dandruff, psoriasis and eczema. The product formula remains substantially the same. Sulfur is the active ingredient in M-T-G. Other ingredients included would be a heavy paraffinic oil, zinc stearate, cade oil and glycerin.
~hth

~~LIVE YOUR BEST LIFE!~~
Honeydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honeydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2005 at 8:26pm

Thanks Browneyez!!

Also another note, I was scanning LHCF and there was alot of skeptics regarding this products because it is for horses. Many of the ladies said that the formula was made for horses because their skin was thicker and they didn't think it was safe for humans because it has not been excepted by the FDA or tested for human use.

I'm not a member of the LHCF so I'll post my opinion here:

I've worked with animals my entire life (including horses). Several products that are used for dogs or cats or horses CAN be used by humans, however it was concocted with those particular animals in mind. Yes, horse skin is thicker than human skin, but not necessarily less sensitive to certain chemicals. Everything listed in Shapley's is not harmful to humans by any means. In fact, it was first  formulated for us and if I'm correct, has not changed it's formula since the 1930's.

ALot of people are weirded out about using something made for horses, but most times it's the same thing. I work at a vet and there is a topical ointment for cuts and bruises on dogs that work very well. I use it if I get a cut or scrape and its equal if not a better potency than our stuff. The vet I work with dewormed his daughter for parasites when she was little with the doggie dewormer (for intestinal parasites). You would be surprised what we can use topically. I work with 6 veterinarians and two women who own horses and the big picture is, if you have to where gloves to apply it, it's not for human use.

That's not to say I'd use flea spray on myself,but you get the point. Mane-n-Tail is primarily marketed towards horses now because it is a good market for the product, with all the human product competition, the horse market was open for something like this. Besides the smell, it shouldn't be a concern.

(Heck, we have a bottle of Everclear and Pina colada drink mix at my job for our sick birds and hamsters!)

Miss Brown View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miss Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2005 at 8:38pm

I'd just like to add that the formula was stated by the representative, Liz Fisher, as being "substantially the same" from when it was initially formulated for humans in the 1930's, but not exactly the same. Also, the ingredients listed aren't all the ingredients in the product. A poster at LHCF e-mailed Liz to ask for the full ingredient listing and she responded saying that Shapley would not release the listing as a way of preventing MTG from being copied.

Natural
-Toothpick-width springs, slightly bigger springs & some frizzy tight waves
-Length: 4" past shoulders, 8.5-10.5" total
-Post on: NP, BHT, HB, OHJ & NC. But I'm not the Miss Brown on LHCF!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrownEyez2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2005 at 9:50pm

Well, I emailed Liz Fisher/Shapley's personally myself today because, even though I'd read all the post here and on LHCF, etc and have had no problem w/ the product thus far, I still had other questions and wanted to be sure I was receiving as much info as possible. And I wanted those questions answered "straight from the horses mouth" so to speak! Anyway, I received a response back today from Shapley's President, Cindy Carfore. Maybe this will shed a little more light on this product for others w/ questions re: it as well:

Good Afternoon, Carolyn,(that's me)

Liz forwarded me your email regarding concerns on using Original M-T-G on humans. I understand and appreciate your request for further information regarding human use of Original M-T-G.  Let me begin by giving you a bit of background on the product and company.

As you already know, Original M-T-G was originally formulated by a barber for use on psoriases, dandruff and dry skin on his customers.  This was in the 1930’s and that product is essentially the same formula that we are currently using.  He also started marketing this formula for use on skin problems for horses.  When he sold the company, the new owners pursued the animal market, where it has remained. 

During the 14 years that I have owned Shapley’s, I have spoken to several people who have used it successfully to treat skin problems on humans.  Over the years, we have received reports of many others using it with no negative effects. 

When I was first made aware that people were using it recently for growth purposes, I was interested to see what results they would obtain.  As this has not been our intended market, Shapley’s has not performed any efficacy testing for human hair growth. What I am hearing and reading is that people are getting good growth from using Original M-T-G.  Because of the results I have seen, I have begun to research and develop a product to test for human hair growth.  This, of course, will take time and effort, and any feedback that we can receive will be helpful and appreciated in bringing the best product to the market.

Shapley’s is very conscientious of what we formulate for animal use and are recognized in the marketplace for using the finest quality ingredients. I can tell you that the current formulation doesn’t contain anything that is known to have detrimental effects on humans or animals, unless it is an allergic reaction.  (The ingredients are petroleum distillates, sulfur, zinc sterate, cade oil and glycerine). As recommended and stated on the bottle, we always suggest performing a patch test for sensitivity on any new product before use.  People have been using it on their animals for almost 70 years with unbelievable success.  The reported negative reaction using Original M-T-G since I have owned the company is less than 1%.  

As for the frequency of use, because we have not tested it, I can't recommend a routine.  From the information I am receiving, people are using it anywhere from daily to weekly. My advice is that if they are using it frequently as start seeing any negative changes is to decrease the frequency of use.

I hope this helps to answer some of your concerns. Please let me know if you have any questions, concerns or feedback.  I will be happy to answer them to the best of my knowledge and ability.

Best regards,

Cindy S. Carfore
President, Shapley, Ltd.
11650 Chitwood Dr.
Fort Myers,  FL  33908
Phone: 239-415-2275
Toll Free: 800-982-2017
Fax: 239-415-2277
Experience the Shapley's Difference online today at
www.shapleys.com
~~LIVE YOUR BEST LIFE!~~
Miss Brown View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miss Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2005 at 5:57pm

Thanks for posting that browneyez. That e-mail is a lot more informative than the generic one that Liz Fisher has been sending out to everyone that's asked about the safety of M-T-G.

If they succeed in formulating a version specifically for humans, I'd be very interested in trying it out.

Natural
-Toothpick-width springs, slightly bigger springs & some frizzy tight waves
-Length: 4" past shoulders, 8.5-10.5" total
-Post on: NP, BHT, HB, OHJ & NC. But I'm not the Miss Brown on LHCF!
Honeydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honeydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2005 at 7:03pm
Thanks Browneyez! That's great to hear. I was sure it was safe although I can understand any reservations people had about it. I felt fine using it before but I feel even better now!!!
Grow Hair Grow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grow Hair Grow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2005 at 10:08am
Hello, I just joined this forum after a member from a different forum linked a post to the letter from the President of Shapley's (I spread the word, I hope you gals don't mind. I figured knowledge sharing is key to disspelling the myth that we can't grow our hair). Anyways, just wanted to add my 2cents regarding MTG. I have been using it since mid April and while I have not used it religiously and have used other products (I've turned into a major PJ), I have yielded positive results as a whole. I have pretty much eliminated breakage (the shedding that I get has the white bulbs on the end, which I have recently learned from other boards that it is part of the natural shedding cycle). My hair has gotten thicker and healthier (admittedly, a lot of it has to do with eliminating heat cold turkey- that has been tough!!). So, I know a lot of people have had reservations regarding MTG and we all know that what works for one, doesn't necessarily work for others but I have been happy with it thus far. Hope that helps.
http://public.fotki.com/growhair/
pw: grow already
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic