Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pony’s are a Bore!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bambilee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bambilee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pony’s are a Bore!
    Posted: June 26 2005 at 8:53pm
I work in a food type job. A cafe and I HAVE to wear my hair up. I hate wearing it up, and I need ideas for some other way then a pulled back pony/bun/ or braid to do my hair?

I need some ideas for anything that looks good. I hate pony tails. I sometimes just pull my long bangs (if u want to call them that) back and put a tiny butterfly clip to keep them back as I work. Or I wear two braids... quite often. But I find that to childish. I need something better then that.

I hate updo's so much! :(
~* Bambi Lee *~
fullxdiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fullxdiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2005 at 3:29am
Bambilee, doesn't really sound like you have much of a choice if you HAVE to wear your hair up. Being that I favor short hair for myself, I can offer getting it cut as a suggestion. A nice short cut can be very versatile and worn in many ways to fit your mood. If cutting is not an option, try some twists or braids on the top and roll the back up for work and let it loose when its time to play.
"Not Lucky Just Blessed"
eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2005 at 9:18am
Why don't you get some cute bun wrap attachments to go over and around the bun?

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?
Bambilee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bambilee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2005 at 11:59am
Why thank you people! u guys are so nice.

Short hair is no option. I thought of just shorting it a little, maybe to my shoulders and putting layers. Right now i just have long, straight hair.

Bun wrap attachments? What are those?

I never do my hair so I don't know whats out there. Either I wear a really messy pony, or loop it, messy. Or I brush it straight and pull back my bangs and pin it.
Pony's leave pony bumps, so when I take it out it looks funny.
hmmmmmmm...
~* Bambi Lee *~
eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2005 at 12:12pm
Try looking here. You could go to Sally's and poke around. They have some odds and ends.

You could try a French twist, though your layers would tend to pop out without extreme measures.

Layers in general prevent neat updos. If your hair was long enough to do a real bun, it would leave attractive waves when you took it down.

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?
Bambilee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bambilee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2005 at 9:50pm
I have no layers, it is mostly all one length, except for around my face, I always keep those cut shorter and angled. I am not a fan of buns either, they make me feel old.. haha... but thanks for all the suggestions!
~* Bambi Lee *~
ACCOLADY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACCOLADY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2005 at 5:00pm

Hello Bambilee,

Do you ever wear hair claws? You could use claws to pull your hair up without being a pony, neat enough for work, clean, cute, comfy and without a hairstyle too aged for you.

The added bonus of claws is that you can put your hair up when it is fresh out of the shower, then later - after work, (assuming you go out afterwards) you could drop the claws, shake your hair out and it will be shower fresh, especially if you have to work around food. Oh, do I remember those days. I would attend a party after work only to find the men were attracted to me for the smell of pizza on my clothes. LOL.

Either damp or dry, pull your hair back as if you were going to make a pony, then begin twisting the handful of hair. Not too tight, just keep going. When you have a good amount twisted, begin wrapping this 'rope' of hair around what has become a 'hub' on the back of your head. The longer your hair is, the lower you should initiate this 'hub'.

Continue twisting and wrapping this hair around and around the hub until you run out of hair, then tuck the ends under the cinnamon roll which has formed. If it ends up looking like a knob sticking out of the back of your head, you can fold the roll upwards and even carefully manipulate the twists to separate. Lay one or two rolls, or all of them, on top of the hub and secure on both sides with a small, medium or large claw - depending on how much hair you have.

You can also achieve a Figure Eight Bun with chopsticks, which come in a multitude of colors and designs, sure to fetch plenty of compliments in the cafe.

Another option is to create a Bee Butt / Spiral Bun lower on your neck, then secure with your choice of hair doodle with or without a chopstick added. This picture is a couple years old now, but gives an idea of what I'm trying to explain:

http://www.wuvie.net/SPIRALBUNLARGE.JPG (larger view)

Experiment, have fun, and come back often to let us know which styles you had luck with.

Karen Marie

Birds of a feather flock together & then crap on your car.

If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague.

Member since 2000, not reg. until 2005
sorun View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sorun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2006 at 6:15pm
WoW I just happen to have the same bun in my signature:)
Bambilee why don't you try some different braids other than the regular three strand like spiral braids or four-five even seven stranded braids. They look pretty cool and brings lots of compliments I shall say
If you're that much sick of the pulled up look you could do loose ponytails or loose braids , just attach a scrunchie on the half of your length.

Hair type: 2cM/Ciii
Length: thighes
Growing as far as it goes...
Mika-Chan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mika-Chan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2006 at 10:51pm
what I would do sometimes when I had long hair and a job where i had to keep it up was when it was wet, I'd take it and put it in a regular ponytail, and then you scrunch it all up and swirl it around, kinda messy, and put an elastic over it...kinda a messy bun...then at the end of the day when it's dry, when you take it out it's all curlyish:)

I hate 'buns' too..the tight, slick, school-marm look...ew:P
this is much nicer, trust me;)

steamboatsister View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steamboatsister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2006 at 12:41pm

Bambilee

I am new to the website but have already been wonderfully helped. Very interesting answers to your problem but I may have another solution for you. Years ago I too worked in restaurants so know what you are talking about. I use these large intelocking combs and think it is a great look. Your hair can still cascade as much or as little as you like and holds beautifully, much different from the banana locks. You can find them at 'Hairboutique.com', items MP978 and MP979. Check out the reviews and see it that may work for you.

good luck, Steamboatsister 

angel bride View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angel bride Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2006 at 4:45am
it's great to have it cut there's great styles for short hair
steamboatsister View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steamboatsister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2006 at 8:20am
Bambilee,
Thanks for the info. As it turns out, my girlfriend who has similar hair found the same combs you talk of. She sent me some and I ordered more as a back-up so I won't get caught w/o them again. I love to give them out to friends and spread the word to others. It is funny the attachment I have to them but as a landscaper out in the elements, they are essential.
Thanks for passing the info and enjoy.
Steamboatsister
Shyanne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shyanne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2007 at 8:50pm
Even though this is an old post, I have to say: buns don't have to be boring!
Let out your bangs, face framing pieces, some pieces at nape and let some bits hang out from the bun 'tail'.
And, I...I've got nothing to offer you, no no, just this heart deep and true, which you say you don't need...Know in your soul, please...For haven't you me, with you now? And I love you, I love you...
Shyanne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shyanne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2007 at 8:51pm
Also, a jeweled brooch or pin to the side, close to base of bun, looks very cute.
And, I...I've got nothing to offer you, no no, just this heart deep and true, which you say you don't need...Know in your soul, please...For haven't you me, with you now? And I love you, I love you...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic