Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What toner should i use?HELP

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
missy la fay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missy la fay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What toner should i use?HELP
    Posted: June 28 2005 at 2:03am
So make a long story short,my hair is now bleached to a very pale yellow.I
tried an ash toner on it and it ended up very dull,drab and greyish
looking.So i bleached again to the pale color i have right now.I have my
heart set on platnium,a very pale blonde with minimal yellow tones(think
gwen stefani) but im not sure what color toner to use.I dont want to try
ash again,and someone told me to use a neautral blonde,but i dont want
it a blonde,i want it platnium.Any suggestions???
Veronica F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Veronica F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2005 at 8:54am
To cancel out yellow tones u have to use a violet toner. Ash toners are used on orangey hair becuase green base cancels out orange, just just violet cancels out yellow

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missy la fay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2005 at 11:25am
How do i know if its a violet toner?Im useing regular store bought stuff.
eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2005 at 1:03pm
There's no way of knowing what color base it is. Take it back and get the right product at Sally's.

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missy la fay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2005 at 10:13pm
Can you suggest a brand name and color that i would get at sallys?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Veronica F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2005 at 8:41am
Yes, wella color charm...they have it at every sally's that i know of. Another girl on this board wanted the hair ur aiming for and i was looking at their permanent color chart and it should the shade Nordic Blonde in the violet category, i suggest that one, w/ 20 vol. developer or lower...
sharon15237 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sharon15237 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2005 at 9:31am
Hi everyone, I am new to this forum but I am in need of help and advice. People seem to know a bit about toners here so let me tell you my situation.
Last night I put blonde highlights in my medium-dark brown hair. I left on a long time and they are pretty bold/bright and too many of them. Anyhow, this has happened to me before so I had left over toner from a professional who bought it for me before. However I didn't have the developer. Anyhow, I mixed the toner with a developer from a regular brown hair dye kit (hoping this would work) and it seemed to. I put this mixture on my head and left it on for about 25 mins. Then I rinsed. The color did fade a lot but not as much as I wanted. So I continued to put more mixture on my hair and tried again. I left it on for 45 mins - 1 hour to see if I could get the color darker. By the 2nd and 3ird time applying I noticed my color was no longer fading and the color of the actual mixture was dark brown. When I started applying it initially, the mixture was light brown. The mixture turned darker throughout the 2 hours. So basically my questions are:
With toner, do you need to apply it immediately (will it still work after sitting an hour)?
Is toner bad for your hair - I would like to try it again and apply immediately but leave on longer.
I dont want my hair to fall out but I need to fix and I want to maintain some of the highlighs.
Also, the developer I mixed the toner with from a regular hair dye, is that the same type in general for coloring? Or does toner need a special developer?
I think if I could get one more try at toning this down I would love the color. Any advice? Thanks so much. I know this is confusing.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2005 at 9:52am
For all you reading this, mixing unrelated products is more than unreliable, it can be dangerous. Read the instructions. Professional products that come without instructions are intended for use by trained professionals.

Edited by eKatherine

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sharon15237 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2005 at 9:58am
Just looking for some friendly advice.
I am not planning "chemistry experiments".
Simply wanted to know some info on toner.
I did have some legitimate questions about toner which I was unable to find answers on the internet.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Veronica F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2005 at 10:13am

sharon, it seems u've already put ur hair thru considerable stress, what is the base color of the toner u are using? If ur looking to cancel out orange, an ash or green toner is what u should have used; if it's yellow u wanna get rid of, u'd have to use a violet toner; if there's too much green in blonde, you would have to use a red toner. Colors themselves also work as toners, but usually only the type u can find at a beaut supply like Sally's. For example, let's say u had bleached ur whole head blonde but it turned out orange, (as it does in most cases!) then u would have to get a light ASH blonde shade hair color to cancel out the brassy orange. If u leave in a toner, not color, for too long tho like u did, it might actually turn the color of the toner itself, like violet or green, so i've heard.

Anyway, i really think u should get this fixed by a professional, i kinda got confused when reading ur dilema, no offense! What did u mean by the color of the actual mixture was dark brown? Was that the color it turned when u mixed the toner and the developer?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sharon15237 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2005 at 10:22am
Hi, thanks for your advice. I really appreciate it.
When I mixed the toner and developer, the mixture was initially light brown. Eventually, after the mixture sat for a long time (1-2 hours) it turned dark brown. The mixture kept getting darker.
The toner I used is called
Logic Imprints - no lift color gloss ( I mixed light neutral brown and dark neutral blonde because the beautician told me to do this)It came out of the tube brown/blonde looking, not purple or anything. I got it at Sallys with her.
I would ideally like to get more developer and just tone them down a bit more. I just am unsure about what/where to get developer. I dont know if I can use just any developer. I will wait at least 1 week to give my hair a break before I do anything.
Thanks for you advice :)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Veronica F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2005 at 10:47am

Ooooh ok, so u actually used a color to tone the highlights ok. Well normally colorgloss is just meant to be used with an activating lotion rahter than a regular developer, which is perhaps why u got such confusing results w/ the gloss. Once color is activated w/ a developer or activating lotion it oxidizes and thus gets darker. Just a little FYI

In any case, gloss isn't actually damaging to ur hair, but if u leave it on for so long it normally gets very dark. The longest u should leave it on is maybe 20 minutes.

Anyway, the best bet would be to get the clairol activating lotion for their color gloss but i don't see why it wouldn't work w/ logics colorgloss. So u basically want the highlights to be a more brown shade?

Edited by Veronica F

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sharon15237 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2005 at 10:57am
Yes, exactly, not so bright of a highlight. I want more brown.
I didn't realize the gloss is not the same thing. I was just given the gloss and the instructions of mixing it with developer. The woman told me it was a toner.
So I should just start fresh with Clairol you think?
Don't worry, I won't be mad if it doesn't work.    Any advice is helpful since I am clueless.
As for the toner getting darker, my question is will toner not work if it sits out and it not applied right away? Or for that matter what about any type of hair dye mixture? I am just curious because I have thought about that many times.
Thanks again!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Veronica F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2005 at 11:18am

Well u could if u want. First i suggest u use Head and Shoulders or any dandruff shampoo for that matter, to fade the existing color on ur head, and like u said wait abt a week. Then u should go over to sally's and get Clairol Radiance colorgloss along w/ the Clairol Professional Radiance Color Infuser (lol i'll give u the exact name, that is basically the activating lotion...) Anyway, just a little note before i proceed any further, don't worry if it comes out too dark, glosses generally do that, but they soon fade to the color on the swatch.

I would suggest getting a shade two levels lighter than ur target color, or one level lighter if u really want it dark. Maybe dark ash blonde but its up to you. Anyway here is the color chart: http://www.clairolpro.com/dispensary/swatches/radiance_swatc hes.html

Along w/ the instructions: http://www.clairolpro.com/dispensary/pdf_html/en_Radiance.ht m

Btw, it says to leave it on for only five minutes on highlighted hair but you can do 10.

To Missy La Fay, lol i hope you don't mind me using ur topic to give someone else advice, sorry lol!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sharon15237 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2005 at 11:27am
Thanks! You are the best and I will give it a try. I am not afraid of too dark. I would rather have that then light :)
Sorry I just jumped in here, I am new to message boards and saw the discussion with toner.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2005 at 12:34pm
For all you reading this, mixing unrelated products is more than unreliable, it can be dangerous. Read the instructions. Professional products that come without instructions are intended for use by trained professionals.

Edited by eKatherine

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sharon15237 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2005 at 12:45pm
Ok, so I was trying to be nice but you are extremely rude Katherine. As I wrote, I was not "planning" experiments! I was asking for advice from people on this site who might know so I would not be experimenting.
By the way, no, the no-lift color gloss (which I found out is not toner but was called that) does not have instructions on it - at all! You are a "senior" member so you think you would be a little nicer to new people on this site. I guess not. Thanks for nothing at all.
Luckily Veronica was nice enough to respond to me and honestly try and help, not demean me.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2005 at 1:37pm

Edited by eKatherine

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sharon15237 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2005 at 1:47pm
Do you enjoy going through life being rude? Does it make you feel good? I guess so. What I did to MY hair has nothing to do with you being obnoxious.
Get a life. Really. 1131 Posts in less than one year.
cheriej View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheriej Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2005 at 3:48pm

I just did this with the colorgloss myself, only it was orange I was getting rid of. Watch your hair when you put it on. Mine got dark in less then 5 mins.

The instructions for the colorgloss is on the bottle. You just have to peel back the paper, and you might need more then one bottle if your hair is long. I did.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic