Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Short/Medium layered hair need updo ideas

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jen_Jen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jen_Jen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Short/Medium layered hair need updo ideas
    Posted: July 05 2005 at 12:00am

Hey guys,
I used to have the cutest hair, it was really short and layered. But then I got tired of not being able to put it in a ponytail when it was hot, so I decided to let it grow out. Well now it's grown a little longer, it's still layered, and it's boring. I'm tired of either just fixing it or leaving it down in a mess. I want some interesting updos! Since my hair is layered, the top of it isn't long enough to pull down into a ponytail. It's really weird! I have thick hair, and I own some really good gel. But I don't know how to curl hair with a curling iron either! Please help me, I need some updos, and maybe advice on curling with an iron. Thanks so much!

ACCOLADY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACCOLADY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2005 at 4:43pm

Wow, I'm very surprised this message is two weeks old without a response.

I'll sure try to help.

Are you trying to grow your hair longer? While it's been a while since my last hair cut, I know how you feel about having a new style. It doesn't take long before you miss pony tails, braids, updos, etc.

When you say that you are not familiar with a curling iron, is this as in you've not used one before? I'll try to assist, but I rarely, if ever use a curling iron. Try not to use one with a super hot heating element. While it might give you one heck of a curl, it won't be long before your hair exhibits stress from the heat. On the other hand, if you have your hair trimmed on a regular basis and are not letting it grow out to longer lengths, you should be fine, just be sure to keep the other stresses to a minimum...brushing, combing, products, etc.

Would you consider using rollers? If your hair is short, you could put soft curlers in while you sleep, wake up and poof! A head full of curls!

If you are longing to use a curling iron, you might practice putting curls all over your head, no particular order or place, just curl all of the hair as much as you can. Add a headband and this is one of the cutest, freshest styles you can wear for the summer heat.

If you are crafty, you might even check the fabric department at your local hobby or box store to find fabrics that match your clothing. You can then make your own hair ties and such. I remember when I was younger I wore quite a few bandanas for head scarves / headbands. Just fold them diagonally and tie the ends around your head either at the top, side, or even hide the knot in the back. Quite fun!

Or, you can just hop over to the Marketplace to find hair toys.

At present, there are 905 items in Headbands alone:

http://mp.hairboutique.com/category.asp?CtgID=211

There are fabric, plastic, stretchy, beaded, metal and so many more to choose from. Karen Shelton also has a line titled "Karen Marie's Jewels":

http://mp.hairboutique.com/brand.asp?MnfID=1081

You really should check out her headband line. There are fun fabrics and colors! Have fun if you decide to go shopping.

Karen Marie / Accolady

Not to be confused (though I would be flattered)        &n bsp;         &n bsp;    with the owner...also named Karen Marie

Birds of a feather flock together & then crap on your car.

If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague.

Member since 2000, not reg. until 2005
K.B. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K.B. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2006 at 11:54am
I know how you feel. I have just gotton my hair cut, in layers long enough to put up in a ponytail, but my ponytail has gotta be practically on top of my head. Yuck! Your hair doesn't always have to be put up in a ponytail. There are some cute other ways. Some I know and I have been searching for some more.

1) Regular ponytail
2) A messy bun.
3) One french braid then ponytial
4) One french braid then messy bun
5) Two french braids then two ponytails (pigtails)
6) Two french braids then two messy buns
7)1/2 up 1/2 down w/ or w/o french braid
8) Flipped out
9) Flipped under
10) Straightened
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ Instructions ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
1) You should know how to do this. Gather all hair and pull into a ponytail at desired highth.

2) Pull your hair into a ponytail the mist it with water. Mess it up and put it into a bun.

3) You have to know how to french braid. If You don't, you can find the instructions on the web. Do one frech braid then pull the rest of your hair into a ponytial.

4) Repeat #3 then #2

5)Frech braid two braids then pull hair into two ponytails.

6)repeat #5 then #2

7)Without french braid: Pull 1/2 of your hair up and leave the other 1/2 down.
with french braid: Frech braid your upper 1/2 the leave the other 1/2 down

8)This requires a flat iron or curling iron: Seperate your hair into 3 layers the clip 2 layers up. You should have you very bottom layer first.Now take a section in your flat iron or curling iron and flip then up. Finish that layer then mist with spray gel or hair spray.Let 2nd layer down and do the same. Then do the same for your 3rd layer. The mist all hair with hair spray.

9)Do the same as #8 only flip then under

10)This is easier to do with a flat iron: Do the same as #8 and 9 only srighten them.
~*~*~*~*~**~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Hope i could help with some hair updo's!
Makaley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Makaley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2007 at 3:41pm

Are you wanting to use a curling iron, because if your hair is real short it may be hard to curl all of you hair.

I hardly ever use a curling iron, but when I do. I use Dove Moose. I apply it to my hair once I have the hair placed where I want it, and I do a about the same amount of hair for each curl, and then I use hairspray.

If your in a hurry and want curly hair.

First I use Pantene Pro V - Brunnete Shampo and Conditnor (hydrating).
Then I rap my hair in a towel, then let it sit for 10 minutes (in the towel)
Once I let it down, I take Pantene Pro V style - Curl deifing gel
and scrunch my hair, ( open your hand and cup it, and do sections of your hair). I use about 2 applications of the gel. After I take the towel I used and scrunch my hair getting rid of extra water that weighs it donw. Once done, I use mega 4x hairspray to get that bounce of curls.

I hope that that information was understnad able, and it works for you.

Edited by Makaley - January 18 2007 at 3:41pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic