Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My hair won’t take color!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Deborah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deborah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My hair won’t take color!!!
    Posted: July 10 2005 at 7:34pm
I'm looking for anybody who knows what they're talking about to PPPLEEAASSSEE tell me what I can do (if anything) to get my presently blonde looking hair to remain red for more than 5 days when its colored!! For three days I look stunning (instead of washed out like the color I was born with does) and then I'm blonde whith some very vague red highlights. For about a year and a half (since enough hair had grown back in a gross mousy non-color after chemotherapy) I've been coloring--well, make that my husband's been coloring-- my hair at home. I thought it was perhaps happening because it wasn't a professional job. Two weeks ago, however, I treated myself to a "professional" hair color. I wasn't impressed with my cosmetologist nor was there any appreciable difference between what she did and what we'd been doing at home, except for the price and the fact that my hair felt like absolute straw for the first week after (until I got a drugstore deep moisturizer). By that time it had already faded to blonde again. I only wash it every other day when it's freshly colored and even use shampoo for red hair. As for any thoughts that the chemo might be partly to blame for this, I had this same trouble about 10 years ago, before chemo and cancer, but then I was only getting highlights. With highlights, the drastic difference a week after coloring isn't nearly as drastic and noticeable.
Is there anything I can do? Is there any technique for coloring resistant hair? Am I doomed to dullness? How do I know when a cosmetologist is up to snuff in the coloring department?
Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!
Deborah Rule
Longhairdreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhairdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2005 at 7:52pm
Red is the worst fading color out there.I'm not sure exactly what might work for you.But any shampoo even ones supposedly meant for red will fade your color faster.You could try a gentle diluted shampoo for starters.Less fading and better for your hair.Are you using a semi/demi permanent or level 3 permanent.Cause that will make a difference.A level 3 is just that ,permanent.If your hair wont hold a permanent you have bigger problems than your color fading.If thats the case your hair is probably over porous(maybe from chemo? or chemical treatments)In which case you should get a protein filler to use with your color.it will help the color stick to your strands better.
eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2005 at 9:09pm
It sounds like you're recoloring your hair over and over again. This is overprocessing your hair, which makes it hard to hold the color. What you need to do is go to Sally's and get a protein filler and a demipermanent color. The protein filler will seal up the porosity of your hair, and the demipermanent color will not cause any further damage to it.

Then, from now on you will need to touch up only the roots. Get a tint brush while you're at Sally's. You won't need to mix the whole box, and it'll be easy because your husband will be doing it for you.

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?
Veronica F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Veronica F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2005 at 8:50am
And no harsh shampoos, namely anti-dandruff, that works to fade color. Also u should get a color protecting or depositing shampoo, try that one by john freida for redheads!
Alexia81189 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alexia81189 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2005 at 9:01am
same thing happened 2 me with the hair coloring, I think eKatherine and Veronica remembers . I have naturally blonde hair and I dyed it red and it faded back to blonde in less than a week. I took their advice and went to sallys to get a protein filler and deep conditioning treatments and went to a professional who dyed my hair this perfect red color I LOVED. it lasted for about a month and then I had to bleach it out ( my family didnt like the color at all and they payed 4 it to have it back to blonde rediculous right?) and redye it to my natural blonde. Anyway the products from sallys did wonders for my hair and when I dyed my hair red I noticed very very little fading it was and awesome change. If you can have a pro dye your hair your desired color, they mix a formula with the appropriate strength for your hair, which box color can be harsh. Best of luck!
Deborah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deborah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2005 at 9:31am
Thanks everyone for your advice, especially which products to use. I'll give it a try!!!
Deborah Rule
AmethystKat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AmethystKat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2005 at 10:10am
Originally posted by eKatherine eKatherine wrote:

It sounds like you're recoloring your hair over and
over again. This is overprocessing your hair, which makes it hard to hold
the color. What you need to do is go to Sally's and get a protein filler and
a demipermanent color. The protein filler will seal up the porosity of your
hair, and the demipermanent color will not cause any further damage to
it.

Then, from now on you will need to touch up only the roots. Get a tint
brush while you're at Sally's. You won't need to mix the whole box, and
it'll be easy because your husband will be doing it for you.

this is exactly what i did (to get to dark brown) and it just worked
amazingly.
Deborah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deborah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2005 at 1:59pm
I went to Sally today and asked for a protein filler; they looked at me like I had two heads and then made a pitiful attempt to pass off some protein hair gel as what I needed. Can anyone give me more specifics since I'm obviously not getting anywhere with these guys now.
Thanks again for your willingness to help. I want this to work!!
Deborah Rule
eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2005 at 2:58pm
The one I bought is called Colorful (brand) Protein Color Filler Primer Correcter Refresher, and the color I bought is #2 warm brown. It also was available in red and a few other colors. A different brand was available unpigmented. It was sold next to the tint brushes.

Sorry they don't know their products at your Sally's.

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?
leia1979 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leia1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2005 at 12:35am
I have some that says in large type on the bottle "neutral protein filler."  This is the clear kind.  I don't know what brand it is, but you can't mistake it for anything else.  It comes in a relatively small bottle, about 4 oz.

Some Sally's employees are knowledgable, others would do just as well at Wal-Mart.  I once explained to some Sally employees what setting lotion is.
Deborah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deborah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2005 at 7:43am
Thanks leia1979 and eKatherine. I'll go back today and see what happens.
I'll keep you posted!
Deborah Rule
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic