Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Going Short

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Natalie1099 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Natalie1099 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Going Short
    Posted: July 10 2005 at 9:32pm

Help me please.

For the 3 years I've been growing my hair long from having a shaved head.

My hair is very curly and very unmanageable. I've been straightening it every day for the last 2 years. It's just doesn’t stay straight for longer then 24 hours. I've had it chemically straightened twice and it's also never lasted longer than 5 weeks.

After all this horrible treatment my hair while being down to my bra strap is very bad condition with whole section quite a bit shorter that the rest. e.g. section about 5inches where the rest is around 24inches in length. While I love the length I have to wear it in a pony tail all the time with at least 6 pins in different sections. *Screams*.

So my partner has been harping to me for the last year to just get it cut into some kind of funky style. So below is picture of my hair and face and I was wondering what you all thing I should do. 

I've made an appointment for a consultation with my hairdresser for tomorrow to see what they think I should do.

edit : Spelling ;-)

Edited by Natalie1099
HAWG View Drop Down
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HAWG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2005 at 10:13pm

Looks like you have an oval face which means you can do just about anything.  Don't fight your hair; the stylist should be able to offer suggestions.

Here's a link to a photo album with over 200 pictures of short hair; I'm sure you can find one you like.

http://www.imagestation.com/album/index.html?id=2126609509

Have fun and let us know how it turns out.  Pictures please.

Mark

HAWG
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2005 at 12:21am

Obviously, straightening every day is causing a lot of damage.  If you don't think you can learn to love your curls and wear them out, maybe you could try wearing them on days you don't have anywhere to go, maybe weekends, you know, just to give it a rest every now and again.

More awesome than a manatee!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Natalie1099 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2005 at 12:36am

Thank you to both of you.

Kuroneko, I really don't like curly hair at all. I guess cause I had it all my life. I never had very defined curly any left to dry naturally I look like a mushroom . So I'm leaning quite a lot to a short style it's been on my mind for the last few weeks and every time I see any women with short hair it's like 'oh that would be so cool to have'

I use to have short hair way back in my teens and always look very good. Around 1 1/2 inches in length.

Well I’ll see what my hairdresser says tomorrow and go from there. Also another reason I want to get this fixed is I'm going off to Thailand in a few weeks and with my hair type is going to be horrible with high humidity.

Edited by Natalie1099
Kimblonde35 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimblonde35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2005 at 4:09pm

How about a short spiked look??

Kim

fatmoogas View Drop Down
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatmoogas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2005 at 4:41pm
It might be a good idea to go to Thailand and think it over there. Usually it's bad to set yourself artificial deadlines for something important. By the way, I'm going to Thailand in a couple of days--I even have a house there. The humidity is perfectly manageable.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Natalie1099 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2005 at 8:51pm

Hello All and thanks for your replies. I had my consultation last night and it went very well. They used The Hair imaging machine.

Where they take a photo of my face and then super-impose different hair styles over it. After about 3 hours!! (OMG) they can up with about 15 styles that seem to suit my face.

I was also told I have big eyes and high defined cheekbones which would set of any short hair style perfectly. Also since I'm quite tall 6" they think it would be stunning.

I have yet another consultation with them on Saturday with the head stylist to go over it all again. Then after the cut they will do a 1 hour session on how to keep and manager the style. Then some studio photos. *wow*

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a271/selltrib/style_18.jpg

This is the one I really like. It looked quite good super imposed over me.

Edited by Natalie1099
crewcutqt View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crewcutqt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2005 at 9:17pm

I had hair a bit shorter then yours, I hid behind my hair all my life.  Just recently I decided to have it buzzed.  I have never had more freedom and confidence then I do now.  I have gotten so many compliments...My boyfriend (Hairitgoes)does the honors and we really have enjoyed it.

If I knew how to upload a picture to a post I would show you my before's and afters..lol...I am new here and haven't figured out all the bells and whistles yet.*grinz*

I think with your face and eyes it would really open you up..plus it would be so much healthier as it grew...the feeling of it is so wonderful..

I will look forward to seeing what you decide!!edited to show before and after pic!!  I figured it out!! Go ME!!

Christal

Edited by crewcutqt

I am in my own little world, but it is ok...they know me here.
HAWG View Drop Down
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HAWG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2005 at 12:30am
I think you'll look great. 
HAWG

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Natalie1099 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2005 at 12:48am

Well I've booked to have this one on the 28th of this month. I thought I would give myself a bit of room just incase I decided to change my mind.

Will of course post some pictures when it's done.

eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2005 at 8:40am
My concern is that even if you get short hair, it's still going to be curly, and if it's more than a pixie you're still going to have to straighten it and live with the fact that the curl comes back on its own unless you pick a style that goes with the curls, rather than against them. Even if it's really short it may still be too curly to suit you, while being too short to straighten.

I know you hate your hair type, but I think it would look better on you than artificially straightened hair, as you have the type of hair that volumes up when straightened, rather than laying flat and looking silky.

Perhaps you should consider reconditioning. Some people have success with that...

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?
Leatherface View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leatherface Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2005 at 10:07am

crewcutqt-

CONGRATS! The buzzcut looks great on you!

Natalie1099-

Good luck---hope you'll be happy with whatever you choose.

Hal View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2005 at 4:26pm
going for the color too?  I hope so!
HAWG View Drop Down
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HAWG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2005 at 10:41pm

Look what I found:

http://ltah2.fotki.com/members/crewcutqt/haircut/

More pictures of crewcutqt.

HAWG
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2005 at 5:22am
She's on a couple of Yahoo groups I'm on.  She's a cute woman, and seems nice and all, just maybe a little too enthusiastic sometimes ^_^; . . .
More awesome than a manatee!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Natalie1099 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2005 at 6:40pm

Good Morning all, well I've done the big cut It was quite painful to watch all the hair falling down but at the end. I was like WOW, Amazing difference.

It's very similar to that style I posted above It is about 4 inches all around and very easy to do. Yes I do still have to straighten my hair but since it will be constantly being trimmed every 4-6 weeks the ends that take most the brunt of the straightening will always been trimmed or so the HD said.

It's very easy to do, this morning, I just got out of the shower blow dried it then use my hair straighter on it and applied a bit of wax and it was done in around 15-20 minutes, Compared to my 1 hour before. No doubt I will be able to get it down quicker once I get use to the style.

My HD also did some playing with it and showed me how to set it into some soft spikes and also how to handle it with a gentle curl.

My partner and my other GF's all said that it does really suit me event the ones that where unsure if I could pull of a shorter style. On top of that everyone at work has commented on how much they like this style.

All said and done I'm very happy.

Hugs

Thank you everyone for your advice!

Edit : I'm getting some photo's taken this weekend so I'll post a before and after in about 4 days time.

Edited by Natalie1099
HAWG View Drop Down
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HAWG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2005 at 8:30pm

CONGRATULATIONS!!!  Sounds like you're happy with the result.  Can't wait to see the pictures as the link to the photobucket site doesn't work anymore and I've forgotten what it looked like.

HAWG

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Natalie1099 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2005 at 9:16pm

Hi Hawg,

That link should now be working again.

Regards

HAWG View Drop Down
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HAWG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2005 at 11:00am
Yes it does, thank you.  I remember now.  Great haircut. 
HAWG
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic