Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Salon problems with a unisex name

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Riverhound21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riverhound21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Salon problems with a unisex name
    Posted: July 14 2005 at 9:54am
One problem I often encounter when visiting new salons is related to having a unisex name. Often the salon will just make an assumption that I am female on the basis of my name, even after I have made the appointment over the telephone. For the most part this can just create an awkward moment when I arrive, but on more than one occassion it has resulted in me being styled in a completely different part of the salon because the stylist I had been booked in with worked in the ladies section and not the mens (these were actually two separate areas with a central reception and the stylist had other clients to keep an eye on while she also worked on my hair). For this reason I try to go in, in person now, to make appointments at new places.

One irritant is when, even though the salon knows me, I get offers in the mail or by email for Miss Anderson. When I've pointed this out to them the first time, we laugh and they look sheepish and apologize and then go into the system to fix it. In a surprising number of cases though, I still continue to get offers for Miss Anderson. When I point this out again, they admit that the system just overrides the sex based on first name.

Sometimes this can get interesting and reveals a lot about the salon. For example, earlier this year, I got an offer for a mother-daughter special for mothers day. My natual mom has passed away, but I figured I could use this coupon to give my adopted mom (and Aunt) a
treat. I needed a hair cut anyway. So I made the appointment and there didn't seem to be a problem. But when we arrived at the salon and presented the coupon the salon tried to get out of it saying it couldn't apply since I was not her daughter. I showed them that the coupon had been addressed directly to me with my name and address etc and they had made the offer. After some haggling and the manager being called to the front desk they agreed to honor the coupon, but I won't be going there anymore.

Finally, sometimes the salon staff can be just plain rude about my name or how they react to it. Of course, they don't get my business either.

Does anyone else have problems related to their name at all?

Chelsea
(Yes, I am a guy named after the London soccer team)
eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2005 at 10:55am
My problems are a bit different but there are similarities. I use my entire first name. A salon would hear my name and assign to me one of the more common nicknames, call out that name. I didn't respond, after all, I told them my name is Katherine, not Kate, not Katie, not Kathy, and assumed they were asking for someone else. Yes, they were pretty upset that I didn't answer to that name.

Another problem I have is with my title. I like Ms., as I'm not currently married (but have been). This is not rocket science, girls, and no, THERE IS NO MR. XXXXX AND THERE NEVER HAS BEEN!!!

I just finally came to the conclusion that the people who work in the front of a large salon are not very intelligent, sophisticated, or observant, and are not trained in customer service. (Unfortunately true of many of the people who work the back of the salon, too.)I switched to a small salon where the owner gave me the service I was looking for.

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?
phil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2005 at 7:29pm
Dear Chelsea, - you say confusion arose after you entered the salon - could they not just tell by looking at you? Gosh what a problem - what a shame also for people called Evelyn, Lesley, or Hilary...
What am I saying? Get a life, man!!! This is not the end of the world!! If you really consider this to be a grievance then you need to grow up. Fast.

Edited by phil
phil
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic