Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Today Show Bride to Be

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Kramer View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kramer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Today Show Bride to Be
    Posted: July 22 2005 at 7:46am
Sarah Raley of Maryland and her fiance were selected as the couple that will be married later this year live on NBC's Today Show. They became instant celebrities. Sarah has gorgeous waistlength hair. She won and I didn't even vote! Uh oh, I think they give their brides-to-be a makeover in the weeks leading up the wedding...
HAWG View Drop Down
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HAWG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2005 at 10:32am
I guess they're quasi-celebrities now and yes, we, the public, get to vote for everything in their wedding (gowns, tuxedos, table settings, invitations, and yes, most of all, her hairstyle).  I can't wait to find out what will happen with her hair; not much can happen to his as he has a shaved head.
HAWG
Joey99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joey99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2005 at 11:39am
Luckily, they don't do an actual "make-over" for the couples, so there probably isn't any danger of her getting a major cut.  The public gets to vote on her hairstyle for the wedding, though.  Usually they show the bride-to-be at a salon where the hairstylist tries 3 or 4 different hairstyles for the wedding day...mostly updos, curls, once they gave a woman extensions.  They've never drastically changed anyone's everyday style...
"Once in a while, right in the middle of an ordinary life, love gives us a fairy tale."
Mike46019 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike46019 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2005 at 12:48pm
Dodge a bullet? I hope so. LOL.
Few men are killed by the bayonet;many are scared by it.Bayonets should be fixed when the fire fight starts.General George Patton Jr.,War As I Knew It,1947.
Rod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2005 at 5:43pm
Didn't the wedding used to be the bride's day, not the voting American
public's day?
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2005 at 7:02pm
Originally posted by Rod Rod wrote:

Didn't the wedding used to be the bride's day, not the voting American
public's day?

Yah... before America became hooked on the narcotic of "reality-based" TV programming.
Kramer View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kramer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2005 at 11:03pm
Ben C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2005 at 10:16pm
I ran part of the video from the wedding show and the girl that won it, Sarah, does have really long hair.  I'd describe it as easily 'butt length'.  It will be interesting to watch her as their wedding gets arranged.
Kramer View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kramer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2005 at 2:47pm

I feared this was coming: In the process of providing four hairstyles for Sarah Raley's wedding on The Today Show, she agreed to let the stylists cut a foot off her gorgeous mane. Needless to say, it's no longer down to her butt. When it was curled it was about to midback length. Naturally, the cut will be donated to the stockpile at the Locks of Life warehouse. You can't tell the length from these photos, but here are the choices for "us" to choose:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8544668/

I think the updo wins in a landslide.

loveshorthair View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loveshorthair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2005 at 3:55pm

In my opinion, it is still very long.  The cut was her decision - they said 10" on the show.  She wanted to be sure everyone saw her dress (that is what she said on the show today).  I liked the style that was down - she does have pretty hair - hate to have her tie it all up.

I know that not everyone will agree but I find very little difference in how butt length and mid-back length hair look.

Kramer View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kramer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2005 at 4:24pm
You're right. Not everyone will agree on whether it's a difference. But when I saw them slicing off that beautiful hair, ugh, it made a difference, believe me. You saw how long it was before the cut. Doesn't the "after" hair look like more than 10 inches was taken?
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2005 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by loveshort&blonde loveshort&blonde wrote:

The cut was her decision

Hmm.... I truly wonder if she came up with the idea, or if it was suggested (or more firmly "encouraged").  Somehow I don't believe that cutting her hair was her decision.  I think "acquiesced" is the more appropriate term for what happened.

Hal View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2005 at 7:01am

Originally posted by DaveDecker DaveDecker wrote:

The cut was her decision

Hmm.... I truly wonder if she came up with the idea, or if it was suggested (or more firmly "encouraged").  Somehow I don't believe that cutting her hair was her decision.  I think "acquiesced" is the more appropriate term for what happened.

With the many years of time and care for your long hair Dave, could someone "fimly encourage" you to cut 10 inches of your hair?  I didn't think so and I doubt she did either, unless she wanted too.

JerkyFlea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JerkyFlea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2005 at 11:24am

Originally posted by DaveDecker DaveDecker wrote:

The cut was her decision

I watched the show Dave, and it was her decision.  The stylist suggested she may want to cut it just a bit to make it easier to do some of the styles, but that's what you'd expect them to do.  When she did it, she wasn't on the verge of tears, she didn't have her face in her hands, she didn't lament the 10 inch braid as she held it in her hands.  Back on the live show, when Natalie Morales commented breathlessly that she had cut her hair, the bride said, rather emphatically, that it was her decision, the stylists didn't pressure her to do it at all, she wasn't attached to her hair being that length, and that if she wore it down that she wanted everyone to see the back of her dress and she was worried they wouldn't with it as long as it was.

So, she didn't "acquiesce", she "decided".  Not every woman who cuts or trims her long hair is the victim of arm-twisting or brain-washing by the vast short hair conspiracy.

As usual,

JF

Edited by JerkyFlea
3 pm is simultaneously too late and too early to start anything.
Hal View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2005 at 12:13pm
you left out "right wing"....lol
Bob S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2005 at 3:20pm

A cut may not be the end of the world, but were I the prospective groom, the last thing *I * would hope for is to see my fiance's hair whacked from hip-length to BS.

The decision may have been the bride's, but isn't it time that everyone knew that only about 1% of hair donations given to LoL actually adorn girls' heads? The ignorance of the truth *may* have been the main reason she chopped her spectacular hair. Bob

Kramer View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kramer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2005 at 4:27pm

As a follow-up to all this...

1) One of the reasons I voted for Sarah and what's-his-name is because she had the prettiest -- and longest -- hair. She's a doll.

2) Videotape will show that when they met, Sarah had somewhat shorter hair and her fiance had hair. Now he shaves what he has. (The video may follow a commercial from the Red Cross.)

http://video.msn.com/v/us/v.htm?f=00&g=49f42736-b8f9-417 a-93c2-851ce0035abc&t=m5&p=Source_Today%20Show

3) As soon as they mentioned that viewers would be able to vote on a hairstyle, I cringed that the audience would have a say on whether Sarah would cut her hair. I never thought the stylist would suggest it and she would go along with it.

4) Bob, I agree with everything you said. But as I recall, the fiance had a chance to talk her out of it and instead sat there reading his magazine.

5) Natalie Morales' hair looked spectacular that morning (Monday). She is doing a great job when called upon and is looking the part. I wish they'd use her more and Alexis Glick less.

6) Katie Couric's hair can't grow fast enough for me.

arch94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arch94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2005 at 5:22pm

Flea Rules!!!

On a related note, here's hopong that Ann Curry visits that same stylist...stat!

My two cents.

We all know what opinions are like...and I've got both!
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2005 at 5:40pm
Hal and JF... my take on the "decision" is that if she had wanted to cut her hair she would have brought up the issue.  But as you said JF, "The stylist suggested she may want to cut it just a bit to make it easier to do some of the styles, but that's what you'd expect them to do."  What this tells me is that she was easy to persuade.  And possibly felt some pressure (even if very gentle, like a virtual nudge) to approve the stylist's suggestion.

I'd bet $ that if the stylist hadn't said a word about cutting her hair, she would have been perfectly happy.

So the depth of her conviction to keep what she had wasn't strong.  It doesn't mean she didn't acquiesce.  And please tell me why you hold so dearly the notion that I believe these events are the results of brain-washing or a conspiracy.
Jared View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2005 at 6:03pm
The fact is that every time you get a girl with that long of hair in a salon you know that the stylist is just dying to slash their scissors into the girl's hair, its sad to see that Sara's lovely long hair was basically wasted.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic