Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

a couple questions! (bonded wefts)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
skiba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skiba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: a couple questions! (bonded wefts)
    Posted: August 07 2005 at 8:37pm

hey guys.

my mum applied my first install of wefts using latex bonding glue almost 2 weeks ago..went excellent..looked awesome..and she blended it perfectly.

well tonight i washed my hair for the second time and so many of the wefts in different areas came loose, so instead of re-glueing them i decided i would remove them all and start fresh.

took me about three hours to finally have my hair cleansed and all glue bits removed..i cried out of frustration, wasn't the best un-install hahaha (my first time).i still have a patch of oily residue at the front of my scalp, which i'm not going to worry about until tomorrow morning.

so anyways.my first question is regarding removing the glue from the wefts? i'm going to be re-using these wefts so i want their tracks clean and ready to go for tomorrow when my mum reapplies them.right now i have them soaking in a bucket with lots of shampoo and warm water.

my second question is regarding the sandwich method? i read that if you use this method when applying latex glue your bonds could last up to a month, even? this sounds awessomee but could someone explain what the "sandwich method" exactly is?

THANKS GUYS!!

sherrie215 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2005 at 8:54pm

hi skiba. First off I would pitch the latex and try either Chrissyv. glue or liquid gold if you want longer lasting bonds. Chrissyv is easier to work with, both on install and removal. But its expensive and only sold to cosmetologists(at least thats what the site says) But LG is a very strong and inexpensive glue that will hold alot longer than latex and you wont have the gooey mess with removal.

Ive got LG bonded wefts in right now. Im at the 4 week mark today, and the bonds are still very strong and secure, I have no doubt that I will make it a few more weeks (unfortunately Im having a bad time pushing the hair to make it much longer)

Ive never been able to get the gooey latex mess out of the tracks to reuse the wefts. But it can be done from what some people have said. Try a toothbrush to help get the glue off the tracks.

Here is a link to the sandwich technique. With my last install I took pictures so if you want to see any of them  just ask and Ill post them for ya! http://p080.ezboard.com/fhair18356frm6.showMessage?topicID=1 076.topic

skiba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skiba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2005 at 10:05pm

thanks sherrie : )

where can i buy Liquid Gold?

i live in ontario, canada i that makes any difference.

Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2005 at 10:22pm

the cheapest and quickest shipping that I know of is www.haircandy.net

I would suggest buying a few small bottles rather than the large bottles, because the LG tends to thicken rather quickly and you end up with alot more waste with the big bottles. I use a couple of the small bottles per install

gsmilie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gsmilie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2005 at 10:19am
Sherrie, I would love to see some pics of your sandwich tech.  I am still at the cross roads of whether to sandwich or shrinkie.  I am waiting for my LG to arrive anyday, and then I need to uninstall then re-install.  PIcs would be great!!  Do you (or anyone) have a preference between shrinkies and weft bonding?  Thanks!!
sassyhair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sassyhair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2005 at 12:16pm
I wear wefts all the time as I prefer this method but somehow cant seem to get the grasp of the sandwich weft.  I have read it over and over again and have got to grip with the edge bit i think but what happens after that. If someone has any pictures I would like to see this so that I can try it on my own hair.  It looks like it will definetly last longer
MBurney218 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MBurney218 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2005 at 1:09pm

Thanks for the sandwich method link. Im going to Sally's today to buy some human hair wefts so i can do my hair. I wonder if they sell the liquid gold there?

Kalika View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kalika Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2005 at 3:28pm
latex is a nightmare to remove from the wefts.  Ive never gotten it all out, but a toothbrush, time, and your favorite southpark episodes help.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MBurney218 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2005 at 3:49pm
I just called Sally's and one branch never heard of it and the other one i called said they will get it in wednesday.  That sucks because I wanted to get my hair done and over with. Does the regular superbond glue damage your hair or pull it out?
Longhairdreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhairdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2005 at 3:50pm
I agree about the latex.That stuff is forever.And I love southpark.Looking forward to season six on dvd in november.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MBurney218 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2005 at 3:57pm
I use to watch south park.  Until i discovered All my children, one life to live, and general hospital.
CoolAzFemale View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CoolAzFemale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2005 at 2:00am

Just a tip, I use to get bonded extensions all the time (now do sewn in, working my way up to shrinkies) but being an african -american girl I can give you a little tip for easy removal...mineral oil.  I know it sounds crazy, but put some on and let it soak in for like an hour or so and the tracks just slide out of your hair...should also work to remove glue from the tracks after removal..... mineral oil with the aid of a thin comb always use to work for me. 

Hope that helps

Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2005 at 7:15am

CAF, thats not crazy at all. Mineral oil is the main ingredient in LG remover and some of the latex removers. They usually have mineral oil, glycerin, and a little fragrance.

Edited by sherrie215

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MBurney218 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2005 at 9:43am
What are shrinkies?
Koffee Brown View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Koffee Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2005 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by CoolAzFemale CoolAzFemale wrote:

Just a tip, I use to get bonded extensions all the time

CoolAz (LOVE the name!), Hey what kind of glue were you using for your bonded extensions? And were you wearing curly or straight? Also how often did you wash, and how did bonds hold up. Thanks !
K-B

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MBurney218 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2005 at 2:31pm

Koffe Brown- bad azz name

I have bonded extensions in my hair right now.  I heard the best glue to use is Liquid Gold. but I couldnt find it so I used Supoer Bond Latex Hair Glue.  I am on day 3 and so far so good.  i originally bought straight human hair but I used my crimp iron to make my hair curly.  the extensions blend in nicely straight or curled.

Koffee Brown View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Koffee Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2005 at 8:57pm
Thanks MB. How often are you washing your bonded style? 
K-B

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CoolAzFemale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2005 at 10:30pm
I used liquid gold and that cheap kind you get at sally's before.  I usually washed once a week.... the bonds held up pretty good for about 3 weeks, then i had to do touch ups here and there.  Since then I've had cancer and did the whole chemo/radiation thing, so since my hair has started growing back, (and its sooo pretty) I've been on the sew in weave to reduce the hair breakage and to not put any stress on my new hair so it can continue to grow nice and healthy. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CoolAzFemale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2005 at 10:32pm
mburney, check out the extensions 101 section and it'll tell you all about it.  They're plastic thingy's that you "melt" on and I've heard that you can't see then all that much and you can put your hair in ponytails and what not.  Still waiting for my hair to grow out a little more before i try those out though
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2005 at 11:01pm
oh...the shrinkies...they are a heat shrink tubing, with an adhesive coating inside. You use them for strand application with pretipped strands of hair. Lots of shrinkie use here on this board, look around or do a search and you will find boatlaods of info on shrinkies
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic