Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Why is mineral oil so bad for hair???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
smahone2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smahone2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why is mineral oil so bad for hair???
    Posted: August 12 2005 at 9:19pm
I hear so many women say to stay away from mineral oil, so I was wondering what the problem is.  I bought a Dominican conditioner that has mineral oil in it, called Capilo Milk & Honey.  Got it off sickbay.  Will it damage my hair because of the mineral oil?? 

Edited by smahone2
Sistaslick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sistaslick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2005 at 12:06am
I wouldn't worry about mineral oil in conditioners because you are just going to rinse it back out anyway.  The problem is mineral oil in "moisturizers" or other products that will be left on the hair for a given period of time.  The molecules are too large to be absorbed by the hair shaft so it ends up just sitting on the outside and coating it--preventing precious moisture from getting in.  Over time, this can dry your hair out.  I prefer using natural oils like coconut oil, almond oil, carrot oil, olive oil . . . to seal in my moisture.  I always apply these oils after my waterbased moisturizer to get the maximum effect.  It is cheaper for manufacterers to put that oil in there as a "filler" the same way petrolatum is used--to add bulk and weight to your products.  Thats why most of the time when mineral oil or petrolatum is listed in an ingredient list it is usually first or second meaning it is taking up the bulk of your product and the rest of the ingredients are only in there in trace amounts.
Pokahontas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pokahontas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2005 at 10:11am
I agree with Sistaslick.  I wouldn't worry about mineral oil being in a conditioner because you'll just be washing it out.  I just recently learned that mineral oil and petroleum were bad.  I've been using them in products for my whole life and I haven't really noticed anything bad going on with my hair (thank God) so I'm just going to use them in moderation.
smahone2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smahone2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2005 at 2:21pm
Thanks, I am relieved to know that I don't have to get rid of my Dominican conditioner
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic