Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Help! Fine Hair And The Maxiglide

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not_Deceived View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Not_Deceived Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help! Fine Hair And The Maxiglide
    Posted: August 22 2005 at 2:16pm

Hello, everyone!

I posted this in the black hair forum, but since this is dealing with fine hair, I thought I'd post it here as well.  I hope this is alright.

I am a mixed-race black, and have fine hair.  After almost 16 years of wearing a hair weave, I had my extenstions taken out almost a year ago, and have been growing my own hair out, which is doing very nicely, and now have it professionally relaxed every 5-6 weeks. 

I bought the Maxiglide two weeks ago and love how straight my hair comes out.  I have a question:

Is it normal to have some hair fall out when using the Maxiglide?  I noticed this the first time I used it, and it seems that when I used it again a week later, there were a more strands of hair that fell out than the week before (I think because of the comb plate.)

It is my understanding that we lose about 100 strands of hair a day, so maybe I'm being paranoid?  The first time I used it, I did have the setting on 4 (recommended for fine/relaxed hair).  My hair came out straight, but not as straight as I wanted, so I used the flat plate the next day, and my hair really looked good!

The second time I used it, I had it on 2-3 and used the comb plate, with the same results.  Unfortunately, I saw more hair strands fall out after I used it.  This a.m., I used the flat iron and didn't see as much hair fall out. 

I really love my Maxiglide, but if I'm going to keep seeing strands of hair on the sink and floor after I use it, then I will take it back  (I still have 30 days to return it.)  Or maybe I should just stick to the flat plate?

It's not like there was a ton of hair that fell out, not at all, but I'm still concerened.

Should I send it back?  Are there any products you can suggest I use that will protect my hair while I use the Maxiglide?

Thanking you guys in advance for any advice you can give, and have a great day!

Prayer is weakeness leaning on Omnipotence
LostForever View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LostForever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2005 at 7:45pm
I would say continue using it unless you see a noticeable difference in
your hair density (ask an honest friend every once in a while) or if you can
see your scalp through your hair. If you have dark hair, it will be a good
way to tell.

I have med. brown hair so I can see the front of my scalp slightly but
that's normal for me I've learned.

All in all, what you've got sounds normal. I lose five or six hairs that I
notice in the shower daily, and then some on my shirt that I pull off. Just
make sure there is no noticeable difference in your hair (an unwanted
difference that is).

Maybe someone with more experience could help? I've never had to
straighten my hair so maybe someone could help you more.
Not_Deceived View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Not_Deceived Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2005 at 9:26pm

Thanks for the advice, Lost Forever. 

I'm trying to be extremely careful about breaking my hair off, because I've done this so much so in the past, even while I had hair extensions.  Plus, while I was reading various comments on the Maxiglide, out of all the positive comments on it, there were two women who said it made their hair fall out. 

I purchased their "Beyond Straight" a few days after I got my Maxiglide, which is supposed to protect the hair from heat damage.  I plan to give it one more try this weekend.

Again, thanks!

Prayer is weakeness leaning on Omnipotence
LostForever View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LostForever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2005 at 12:43pm
I also recommend using a leave-in or a deep conditioning treatment if
you're worried about breakage. I use CitreShine Fresh Fusion Nourishing
Milk Revitalizer (comes in an orange square-shaped squirt bottle) and it
protects hair from UV rays and thermal styling. Great for the summer
months.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic