Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Best nailpolish brand?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
estamujer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote estamujer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best nailpolish brand?
    Posted: August 22 2005 at 10:19pm
I'm new here, so please don't mind me if I do something wrong, anyhow what do you find to be the best nailpolish brand. I'm used to buying the more expensive essie nailpolish just out of habit and am curious do wet n' wild or any of the other less expensive brands work as well? Do they chip more easily? Look cheaper? etc etc etc.  
Delenn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2005 at 7:05pm
Personally when looking for nailpolish I get whatever catches my eye.  Because of this I make sure to spend extra on a good topcoat that really makes whatever's underneath shiny and last long.  I like Barielle's No Chip Speed Dry.
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2005 at 7:26am
I love Colorstay.  It stays on well, for a week maybe.  Though I've noticed the darker colors show chips within a couple of days and the lighter ones are better for longer.  The clear topcoat that comes with the colorstay helps the other cheapo nail polishes I have stay on longer too.  Wet and Wild stays on better for me than some of the other kinds (like Sinful which chips in 2 hours!).  The wet and wild does only last a day or two without chips (thats pretty good for a buck though, so I just retouch it when they chip).

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
Alexia81189 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alexia81189 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2005 at 6:01pm
OPI  and essie =)
Life moves pretty fast. If you dont stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2005 at 1:10am
I can buy something that promises to last a week, and have huge chips in it by the end of the day -_-; .  That's part of the reason I don't paint my nails often, because nothing stays.  My toenails, however, I'm more likely to see grown-out parts at the base of the nails before the paint on those has chipped off. . .  I guess I'm just really rough on my hands.
More awesome than a manatee!
naildiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote naildiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2005 at 7:14pm

There are big differences in the quality and content of professional polishes (OPI, Essie, Creative, Toma, Haken, etc.) vs. "drug store" brands (revlon, wet and wild, sally hansen, etc).  There are additives that are actually BANNED for use in nail polish not sold through a professional.  These additives create a very tough, long lasting, rich color.  Another thing to realize is that the cheaper the brand (wet and wild for instance), the less pigment in the polish and the more coats you have to apply to get the actual color.  So wet and wild is like 1/8 pigment and the rest is the other substances.  Professional brands have many times that amount of pigment ( I dont know an exact amount, but I wouldn't be surprised at up to 65%). 

Does that mean other non-professional brands are bad?  Nope.  There is a market for all brands.  Some people look for price, others for quality, others don't care, they just want it to look pretty.  Whatever works for you.  All I can say is try it.  A good base coat will adhere well to the nail and help things last longer and a good top coat witll provide a lot of shine and protection.

If your polish chips right away, there are a couple main reasons:  oils on the nail or weak thin nails.  The thinner the nail, the more it flexes and the more the polish chips.  Oil will prevent adhesion.  It is super imortant to have a clean dry nail to polish.  Even if you just wipe with polish remover before polishing, that is better than nothing.  There are products out there that also help cleans the nail prior to polishing (OPI has one called Chip Skip).

I hope this helped.

Jessica

MsMocha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MsMocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2005 at 4:27pm
I usually buy cheap nail polishes because I change the colour often, but I made sure I use a good quality strengthener...OPI Nail Envy.
Pampinetta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pampinetta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2005 at 2:18pm
Me too, I change nail polish every fourth day or so, so I buy cheap ones. I use a good base/top (sp?) though: Depend's multi. I really like Rimmel's 60 seconds, you only need one layer and it dries really quick.
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2005 at 7:17am
I was surprised when I was shopping at a beauty supply shop to still see nail polish with toluene and formaldehyde in it (probably what you said was banned).  Polish used to all have that stuff in it and it does stay on much longer, but that stuff is not good for you.

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
naildiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote naildiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2005 at 9:32am
You are correct, it is not good for you - in large amounts.  The tiny amounts present in nail polish are pretty harmless, unless you are allergic to formeldehyde,  Or unless you eat the polish (yuck).  Most professional polishes last longer because of those ingredients, but professional polishes also have around 2-3 times more pigment than polishes you buy in a store, which is why the color is richer.  FYI, there are professional polishes without those ingredients, if you are worried- Zoya & SpaRitual off the top of my head.  BTW, OPI and Nail Envy are full of formeldehyde!
sugaplum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sugaplum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2005 at 10:57pm

OPI, MAC & Essie are really good. 

100% Natural
BC - 4/21/07
Love All Gods' Creatures
Alayney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alayney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2005 at 6:39pm

Originally posted by naildiva naildiva wrote:

You are correct, it is not good for you - in large amounts.  The tiny amounts present in nail polish are pretty harmless, unless you are allergic to formeldehyde,  Or unless you eat the polish (yuck).  Most professional polishes last longer because of those ingredients, but professional polishes also have around 2-3 times more pigment than polishes you buy in a store, which is why the color is richer.  FYI, there are professional polishes without those ingredients, if you are worried- Zoya & SpaRitual off the top of my head.  BTW, OPI and Nail Envy are full of formeldehyde!

I have to avoid anything with the Tolulene and Formaldehyde myself. It all started when I tried Nailtiques several years ago. My nails grew beautifully and looked gorgeous but the nails all became detached from the skin!!! (painful and ugly!) Thank God, they grew back fine. I was never really sure why that happened until I used the Nailtiques again and then I realized it happens anytime I use a polish with those two ingredients. Weird how I never ever paid any attention to the ingredients before and no doubt DID use polishes with them in it.

Anyway, I use cheap (very inexpensive) polish ALL the time and I feel my nails always look nice and professional if I do say so myself!  I've used the expensive too and just don't see the difference. I'm not saying there isn't a difference -- this is just my humble opinion. Plus, I am a nail polish addict, so you can see why I like to stick to the one and two dollar bottles.

MsMocha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MsMocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2005 at 3:11pm
I can tell a slight difference between cheap and expensive polishes, usually there is a stronger pigment in the more expensive one and the brush is usually better for applying the polish; they're more firm and kind of flat. I'm not sure I would say that more expensive ones last longer, what it comes down to is base coat and top coat, so I just stick with the cheapies.
Alayney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alayney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2005 at 4:59pm
It may just be a coincidence but, actually, I've noticed the brushes seem to be worse[i/] in the high end brands. I noticed that right away because I thought it just shouldn't be so seeing as the polish is supposed to be "better" and costs more ...
stormee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stormee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2006 at 12:01am
It probably does depend on how your nail interacts with the polish. For me, Revlon Color Stay lasts a week, OPI chipped in a couple days.
rollerGrrL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rollerGrrL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2007 at 6:35am

I find that cheap or expensive - they all chip anyway - so I buy cheap polishes now, they look just as good. I get compliments all the time. Why spend $20 on nail polish when you can get the same colour for $2.50?

i feel it rolling through me.. i got the roller boogie..
seashell034 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seashell034 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2008 at 5:43am
revlon works best for me  he color goes on sooth and doesn't bubble  also too much brush makes it go on thick and uneven. i've used a lot of different kinds from expensive to cheap and when i use revlon they look professional
steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2008 at 10:06am
      The salon I go to uses OPI and I just love it it wears so good and the colors have the cutest names. STEVE
      STEVE
jmay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2008 at 8:42am
 I use Ciate paint pots, they give fantastic even coverage when applying and are hard waring and long lasting! A great choice of colours available too! I started using Ciate a year ago and havnt used another brand since for long lasting wear, well worth the buy!

Ps I always add a clear top coat just in cast if i want the colour to last and not chip!

mayeuxsherri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mayeuxsherri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2008 at 9:31pm
TongueSally Hansen Hard As Nails - Hard As Wraps.  It's really good!
SHERRI
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic