Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My volume solution!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
KellyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KellyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My volume solution!
    Posted: August 23 2005 at 7:19pm

I have colored/bleached thin and fine hair. It's almost to my bra strap with long layers and I'm growing my bangs out.

FWIW, this is what works for me. I don't do it on a daily basis. Just when I want to look extra special ALL DAY! It may take a few times to figure out the ratios and details for what works for YOUR hair.

Mousse: Sexy Hair Products/Blow It Up Foam-Short Sexy Hair I blow it almost entirely upside down. I can't handle the heat of drying with a large round brush. I just use my fingers.

Thermal Styling Mist and curling: Redken Hot Sets and a large curling iron (about 1 1/2") I part it in sections starting with the bottom back. I pile the rest up and use a clip leaving a couple of inches hanging. I spray each section with the mist and curl it counting to about 10-15. I complete it in vertical sections making several curls on each row.......to be continued THERE'S ANOTHER STEP!

Hairspray: Matrix Extra Freeze Trix or Big Sexy Hair/Spray and Play Harder I'm not really happy with how the Big Sexy Hair handles the humidity and heat. It tends to dry my hair out. The Matrix stays shiny and holds up well in the Texas air wetness. HERE'S THE TRICK: after you use the Hot Sets and curl an entire row....finger fluff each row and spray the hairspray at the root and a tad from the roots to the ends. Do this for each section. Don't overdo it! If you spray too much, it will weigh it down. When complete, lightly tease/fluff with a wide tooth comb (rake) and then finger fluff while spot spraying to finish and set entire head.

I know it sounds like alot of work, but trust me! It works!

I'll try to dig up some pics of examples.

Edited by KellyH
KellyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KellyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2005 at 7:37pm

Here's with just hairspray after curling (top only) by the end of an August day in SE Texas.

Here's with extra attention! Keep in mind this was after we'd been outside for awhile in May. It still held up pretty good!

(Ever notice how there's 100's of pics of the men in our lives, but very few of us ladies? I need some better pics. )

Edited by KellyH
KellyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KellyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2005 at 9:52pm

Originally posted by KellyH KellyH wrote:

Hairspray: Matrix Extra Freeze Trix or Big Sexy Hair/Spray and Play Harder I'm not really happy with how the Big Sexy Hair handles the humidity and heat. It tends to dry my hair out. The Matrix stays shiny and holds up well in the Texas air wetness.

I want to expand on this a bit. I LOVE the Big Sexy Hair. It may only seem to dry MY hair because it's so poreous. I notice it mostly in high humidity. It holds all day, though. Much better than the Matrix, imho. But being a strong hold, you can end up with 'helmet head' if you're not careful!

One way to combat the dryness is to use Sexy Hair Flip It Over before spraying the final spray. Be careful not to over do it because it's kind of 'oily' (if that makes sense). Just flip your head over, spray sparingly and scruch and finger fluff, then flip your hair back over. It gives shine and 'wild' volume. Now you can spray the final Spray and Play Harder to set.

Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2005 at 1:32am

Hi Kelly,

Thanks for taking the time to share all of your tips.  I agree that the Sexy Hair products are very good.  For just adding volume to short fine hair the Matrix Amplify shampoo and gel works very well for many people but Sexy Hair is definitely a wonderful line.

Thanks also for the photos.

That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic