Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tips preparing colored hair for perm

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Isa123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Isa123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tips preparing colored hair for perm
    Posted: August 24 2005 at 2:54am
Hello everybody.
I've been reading the forum for quite a while now and looked around for previous topics of which I had questions.  I wanted a bit of info about the following situation:

I've wanted to get a demi-permanent coloring and one day, asked for one at the stylist.
Since then, I was sold. My hair is colored for quite a while now.  I'm natural ash blond and wanted to go to a dark brown.  I liked it and still like it, so I go for a new coloring job after approx. 2 months.  In fact, I got it colored today, since I'm seeing a lot of blond getting through again, especially at the roots.

But I would like to get a perm.  I already made the decision and an appointment for the end of September and I don't intend to turn back.  I've read the nice stories and the horror stories.  I guess I'll have to find out what it's going to be for myself.  But, I guess I can give my hair all the support it can use, in order to make the perm work out nicely. 

So I'm looking/asking for some good "preparation" tips before I go to the stylist for my perm.  Can you tell me what you did before getting a perm or which products you used.  And if you don't perm it yourself, what did people you know do before getting their perm?

Greetings.

Edited by Isa123
Team Ehwaz - Team #14044 - Use the idle time of your computer to make a difference. Join now! Statistics:
http://vspx27.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=teampage&te amnum=14044
Claude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2005 at 6:35pm

Get your hair permed first, then 2-3 weeks later get your hair colored.

If you color first then perm the color will be altered by the perm solution regardless if it's semi, demi or permanent haircolor.

Isa123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Isa123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2005 at 4:10am
Well, I called the hairdresser after reading your post and your right.  The perm solution is going to alter the color significantly.  Since it's a demi-permanent, I've rescheduled the perming in about 2 to 3 months in order to let the coloring wear out.
I asked her what I should use or what preparations I should take before getting the perm, but she said "none".  Well, I'm not sure about that, so I would like to know what I could use, that's why I asked this question here.

Greetings.
Team Ehwaz - Team #14044 - Use the idle time of your computer to make a difference. Join now! Statistics:
LostForever View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LostForever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2005 at 8:10pm
Buy a good Protein Pak and give yourself a treatment every week or so. I
rinse my hair with warm water first, then apply and wrap your hair in
SaranWrap. That way it traps the heat and activates the protein
treatment. It will make your hair stronger and prep it for your perm. :D
Isa123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Isa123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2005 at 2:14am
Hmmmm,
Protein paks.  Any idea where I should look and what I should look for specifically, I don't understand much of what's the labeled contents on the bottle.
I've found a couple of websites, maybe any more ideas?

I now use a Clairol shampoo for colored hair and use a conditioner for color treated hair once in a while.  Maybe I should start using the conditioner each time after washing my hair (every 3 to 4 days) and/or a protein pak which I leave in for an hour. I do want to get it healthy and ready for the perm.
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2005 at 8:09am
Make sure your hairdresser uses a perm for colored hair.  They are much gentler.  I have had multiple perms, most huge mistakes.  I never did any pre-perm prep but I did spend a lot of time doing deep conditioning treatments afterward.
"It is better to look marvelous than to feel marvelous" Billy Crystal
Isa123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Isa123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2005 at 2:37pm
Hello again.

It's settled now.  I've made the appointment and I just can't wait for the day when I will get a perm.  I was particuraly worried about things going wrong and the hairdresser assured me that she knows what she's doing.  She told me that I should try it, since I started to hesitate and it didn't ease my mind.  She was right about that.

So I'm going to trust my head of hair to her and see how it works out.  I could color my hair afterwards, but I'm hesitating about the coloring, since my fine hair won't be very happy with 2 chemical jobs in a week's time.

I'm going to leave a moisture conditioner in this weekend for a couple of hours (maybe apply it before I go to sleep and rinse it out in the morning) and continue using protein paks just to get it ready for the perm.

Wish me luck!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic