Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How can I manage this style?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Rosalie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rosalie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How can I manage this style?
    Posted: September 15 2005 at 7:32pm
http://gallery.hairboutique.com/details.asp?ID=4291

I post this before but nobody answered...

I'm wondering how short I'd have to cut it to get a style like that, and what I'd have to do to maintain it and get it to poof out like that. MY hair is naturally thick and curly, so it naturally sticks out a bit.
HAWG View Drop Down
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HAWG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2005 at 8:27pm
Looks to be anywhere from 4 to 6 inches long; shorter on top obviously, heavily layered allover. 
HAWG
Claude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2005 at 10:12pm

Originally posted by Rosalie Rosalie wrote:

http://gallery.hairboutique.com/details.asp?ID=4291

I post this before but nobody answered...

I'm wondering how short I'd have to cut it to get a style like that, and what I'd have to do to maintain it and get it to poof out like that. MY hair is naturally thick and curly, so it naturally sticks out a bit.

OK first of all that is not an everday style. That is a model on a photo shoot who had her hair set and also I'm willing to bet there are some hair pieces in that doo too. I'd say 2 maybe 3 hair pieces in that hairdo just look at the crown. If that is a look you are looking for you should check for professional hair pieces that clip into current hair. You could easily achieve that look.

Edited by Claude
Rosalie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rosalie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2005 at 6:50pm
Would it be possible to achieve a similiar style, but have it all(well, not all since it's layered, but you get what I mean) come down to my chin when not "up"? I have a large jawbone and intend to grow my hair back out when it's finished.

I mainly want to know how to achieve the "bigness" effect.

My hair currently looks like this -

As you can tell it's already pretty big. Will cutting it short in layers on it's own produce a similiar effect? I just want it big with large curls basically...

Edited by Rosalie
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2005 at 10:43am

Rosalie, this is off-topic but I really like your outfit

Anais

my LJ, 40 inches long
Claude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2005 at 11:52am

Originally posted by Rosalie Rosalie wrote:

I mainly want to know how to achieve the "bigness" effect.

My hair currently looks like this -

As you can tell it's already pretty big. Will cutting it short in layers on it's own produce a similiar effect? I just want it big with large curls basically...

Layers release weight and create volume. Hair texture will dictate how the overall look will appear. You hair looks wavy in texture at the perimiter is that a perm that is growing out? Perms with larger rods are a good way to create a wash and wear style slightly shorter than what you currently have and the layers will give it a lighter overall appearance and create volume.

When getting a perm you need to remember this....

1x around the rod and you will have a "C" shaped curl of hair.

1+1/2x around the rod you will have a wave

2+1/2x around the rod and you will create curls. (THIS IS WHAT YOU WANT)

Also placement of the rods dictates the volume that will be achieved. The general rule of thumb is the larger the roller, the greater the volume but you want to make sure your hair goes around 2 1/2x around the roller to create the curl.

As for roller placement there is...

On Base - For Full Volume, the Roller sits directly on it's base. Overdirect the strand slightly in front of the base and roll the hair down and onto the base section of hair. (THIS IS WHAT YOU WANT)

Half Base - For Medium Volume, the roller sits halfway on it's base and halfway behind the base. Hold the strand straight up from the head and roll the hair down.

Off Base - For the least volume, the roller sits completely off the base. Hold the strand of hair 45* degrees back from the base and roll the hair down.

Before you perm the hair you could cut it to the desired length of a length that you feel you would like and then do a Wash n Set or Roller Set where the wet hair is wrapped around rollers with setting lotion saturated throughout the hair and spray the hair with setting lotion after it's rolled as well then sit under a dryer for 30 minutes or until dry then take it out and comb or pick lightly thru it to see if that is the look you want before you actually perm your hair. All the fundamentals listed above apply for roller sets as well as perms.

G'luck and let us know how you make out.

Rosalie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rosalie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2005 at 2:18pm
A perm might damage my hair too much, if I'm going for the colour too. I don't have a perm, my hair is naturaly like that.

So do you think layers will give me that big effect? I'd like to get something like that hairstyle but longer and more managable. I don't want to cut it too short in case it doesn't work out as well, I won't be able to cut it any further then to fix it.
Rosalie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rosalie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2005 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by AnaisSatin AnaisSatin wrote:

Rosalie, this is off-topic but I really like your outfit

Anais

Thank you :)

I have some mroe pics:

:)
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2005 at 11:09am

Thanks for sharing those, Rosalie! The umbrella makes it look really playful.

Anais

my LJ, 40 inches long
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2005 at 2:29am
What's the blurry spot in the pics?  Was the camera lens dirty, or a ghostie present, or what?  *is the resident supernatural buff, and just had to notice that, of course ^_^ *
More awesome than a manatee!
Rosalie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rosalie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2005 at 5:24pm
Smudge on the camera I'm guessing, it appears in all the pictures. I do have one with what looks like an orb in it but it's probably just dust and I look ugly in it anyway.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic