Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

can someone tell me what to get? confused

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
malibubabe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibubabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: can someone tell me what to get? confused
    Posted: September 20 2005 at 6:24pm

I'm really confused on all the stuff I would need.

My hair is white, with a grayish tint from the ash blonde and it looks really bad, and my roots are yellowy. I want to darken the white to light blonde, but it doesn't take color at all. In the past week I've dyed it 4 times with medium blonde shades from the drug store, and the white parts just won't get any darker. Add if they did get darker, it was like darker gray. I live almost 2 hours from a Sally's and I'm going there this weekend. Can someone tell me exactly what to get there in order to make my hair light blonde?

right now it's this color

and I want a color like this

is there a shade at Sally's that looks like that that I can buy?

If so what exactly would I need to buy? please help, I really hate the way my hair looks now and I don't know what to do to change it. ANd salons always mess it up

Emilie
KellyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KellyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2005 at 9:24pm

Get Lock-In Blonde filler from Sally's, follow the instructions for tint back/filler and saturate your hair before you apply the color. (yes, I believe they'll have a similar color, but I used Magic Opal/Clairol Herbal Essences from the drug store.....I did this a month ago) It'll give your 'white' hair the pigment it is lacking in order to hold the color. You're not trying to go too terribly darker, so it should work great.

Be warned.....it'll go on gold/orange. Don't freak out. It's supposed to look that way.

Kalika View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kalika Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2005 at 4:58am

Just pick up a light gold toner.

Edited by Kalika
Bambilee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bambilee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2005 at 10:33am
Ah! I want the color you HAVE! :(

I hope the suggestions work for ya!

~* Bambi Lee *~

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibubabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2005 at 6:09pm

yeah I like it too, I wish I could get all my hair that color, but it's like my roots are anti anything but yellow. No matter what I do they won't turn light ash blonde. I even put shimmer lights on my roots and hung out around the house for a few hours, and they didn't change AT ALL. it's so frustrating

light gold toner? do I have to re dye after that? thanks for the help

Emilie
Kalika View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kalika Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2005 at 6:11pm
no you shouldnt have to re color
h80six View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h80six Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2005 at 11:39pm
 Ask the people at Sally's I am sure they will be able to help you and tell you what you need to get. Just tell them what you are wanting to do with the color, and surely they will be able to help you, if not they shouldn't be working there if they don't know. Good luck!
Kalika View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kalika Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2005 at 3:11am

Originally posted by h80six h80six wrote:

if not they shouldn't be working there if they don't know. Good luck!

Never assume just because someone works there they know all about the products. 

Claude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2005 at 6:22am
Be careful your going to need to fill in with a yellow or gold filler before you try to tint back your hair 2 levels or more. Also with all those chemical processed your hair could be overprocessed.
h80six View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h80six Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2005 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by Kalika Kalika wrote:

if not they shouldn't be working there if they don't know. Good luck!

Never assume just because someone works there they know all about the products. 

In MY opinion I believe if you are going to work at a hair place you NEED to know about the products, and atleast know a little about what they are and do so they can help people. I am not assuming anything, its just logical. Thanks!!

Edited by h80six

swede View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2005 at 3:50pm

try a peroxide and ammonia free toner, like a born blonde toner. you can get it at Sally's

Kalika View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kalika Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2005 at 7:36pm

In MY opinion I believe if you are going to work at a hair place you NEED to know about the products, and atleast know a little about what they are and do so they can help people.

I agree, they SHOULD know. But, well thats theory versus reality for ya.  I've had a few retail jobs where myself and fellow employees didnt know jack about the products.

Edited by Kalika

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibubabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2005 at 9:53am
ok well if I go and get a toner, and just put it on, would my roots not be yellow anymore? because I would rather keep the light color, but no matter what I do my roots always stay yellowy while my hair goes white. I just want something that makes my hair all one color
Emilie
h80six View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h80six Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2005 at 2:05pm

Originally posted by malibubabe malibubabe wrote:

ok well if I go and get a toner, and just put it on, would my roots not be yellow anymore? because I would rather keep the light color, but no matter what I do my roots always stay yellowy while my hair goes white. I just want something that makes my hair all one color

Like swede said, try born blonde toner, I have used it and it works on me, I mean I cant say its going to turn your roots the color you want, but I am sure it will lighten them up. Here is a link to it at Sally's http://www.sallybeauty.com/shop/1430/320418 so you can see what it looks like. If you do get it, when you apply it to your hair it will be a dark color, but don't worry it want be dark after you wash it out. There are like 9 different shades, and I believe silent snow is the lightest. And if you want your hair to be all one color then maybe you should apply to all of the blonde in your hair....I am just giving you my suggestions bc I have used it b4 I dont know if it will exactly turn out how you want it, but Good luck chick and I hope that helps and works for you.

Edited by h80six

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibubabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2005 at 7:00pm

well... this is what happened

I went today, and the lady said all my hair was really light ash blonde, and the roots were just light blonde. she said I should go to the salon and have them 'take the ash out' but I didn't wanna do that. Then I told her the SHimmer Lights did that, and she gave me this Ion crystal packet thing to get rid of it. Well she said I shouldn't get an ash shade, and said I should get this shade called Blonde Claire and she gave me 20 volume developer. I asked her if I should get a protein filler and she said I didn't need one. Ok so I put the mixture on my roots for 20 minutes. Only they just turned a lighter shade of the yellow they were, and I put the rest on and left it on for like another 20 minutes hoping my roots would lighten some more. Only the rest of my hair turned the Blonde Claire shade, and my roots didn't! ahh. it looks the same.

I don't know what I should do. I was gone so I didn't see your post h80six. Should I go back and get a born blonde toner? Or should I get ash blonde or a higher volume developer? I don't know what to do, my stupid hair won't change. I just want it all to be one color

Edited by malibubabe
Emilie
h80six View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h80six Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2005 at 7:06pm

Girl I know exactly how you feel, it gets soooooo frustrating. I mean if you wanna get the born blonde then get it and see what it does, it shouldnt damage your hair at all. I dont know much at all about "hair stuff" so hopefully born blonde will help you out, I only know from personal experience. Sorry bout the turn out, I hope it all works out for you.

And since your roots are yellower then your actualy hair then maybe just apply it to your roots.

Edited by h80six

ammonia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ammonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2005 at 5:18am
Originally posted by malibubabe malibubabe wrote:

well... this is what happened

I went today, and the lady said all my hair was really light ash blonde, and the roots were just light blonde. she said I should go to the salon and have them 'take the ash out' but I didn't wanna do that. Then I told her the SHimmer Lights did that, and she gave me this Ion crystal packet thing to get rid of it. Well she said I shouldn't get an ash shade, and said I should get this shade called Blonde Claire and she gave me 20 volume developer. I asked her if I should get a protein filler and she said I didn't need one. Ok so I put the mixture on my roots for 20 minutes. Only they just turned a lighter shade of the yellow they were, and I put the rest on and left it on for like another 20 minutes hoping my roots would lighten some more. Only the rest of my hair turned the Blonde Claire shade, and my roots didn't! ahh. it looks the same.

I don't know what I should do. I was gone so I didn't see your post h80six. Should I go back and get a born blonde toner? Or should I get ash blonde or a higher volume developer? I don't know what to do, my stupid hair won't change. I just want it all to be one color

frikin sallys ladies.. they never help only make things worst most the time.. they should hire "actual people who know about HAIR!" lol im serious i had one of them also "advice" me for some bs that didnt help at all and my color stayed the same!.. good luck but dont trust them.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibubabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2005 at 1:51pm

I know, and the two people working at the counter didn't know anything. I asked this lady working behind the counter, and she was like "oh I don't know... you'll have to ask someone else"

and the lady who was helping me, well at first she told me to get a shade called Ivory Blonde or something, which was a WARM. Then I said I didn't want my hair to be reddish looking, and I thought I should get a shade called Nordic Blonde which was a cool, and she was like no If I were you I wouldn't get that. So she said I should get a neutral shade called Blonde Claire. She said neutral shades just enhance what you already have and don't add warm or cool shades. but what I wanted was to make my roots look more ashy to match the rest of my hair but she said it wouldn't work. Next time I'm just gonna get a cool shade and just do the top, because the neutral Blonde Claire just made my roots a lighter shade of yellow

anyway today I went to the drug store and bought medium ash blonde and put it on my roots and it looks really natural and good now, so oh well

Edited by malibubabe
Emilie
h80six View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h80six Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2005 at 3:34pm

HA ammonia thats how I feel, The first few times I went to a Sally's I asked a question and the woman was like uh oh um duh blah what? Not exact words obviously, but thats how I felt when she was supposedly trying to help me. So I rarely even ask anymore, I may ask a few questions, but as far as I know and have been to Sally's they really dont seem to Know much. Thats why I really started coming here bc there are some people on here that do know, or atleast it makes since what they are saying. I only go to Sally's now bc I know what i am getting and can just go straight to it and dont have to ask the people that work there. I mean all Sally's may not be like this but there are some that are. But dont get me wrong I like getting products there, bc i need them for my hair haha.

Edited by h80six

ammonia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ammonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2005 at 4:43am

I only go to Sally's now bc I know what i am getting and can just go straight to it and dont have to ask the people that work there.

exactly what i do.. once in a great while you might be lucky enough to run across a real "salon hair person" who is there SHOPPING! haha and then you might be able to ask them something. but other then that, its better to go straight to what you came for.

Edited by ammonia
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic