Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

letting gray grow out

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
collywolly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote collywolly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: letting gray grow out
    Posted: September 24 2005 at 6:29pm
I have medium to long hair which I dye brown. I love the silver coming in at the roots and would like to let it grow out. How can I do this without looking like a nut for a year.  I don't want to chop it all off, or do I have to?  Has anyone ever bleached it platinum while waiting, then it will blend?

any input please?
collywolly
dolcecasa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dolcecasa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2005 at 8:50pm
Hey Collywolly,
What color is your natural color,besides the silver? If its alot of silver, you could just let it grow and gradually trim the bottom off. Will there be a huge difference when it starts comming in? I would never dye
It platinum, its would kill your hair. If it were me
I would just let it grow, and not care what others think. But thats me! Hopefully someone else will read this and chime in a few ideas.
Deb
dolcecasa!
Sugarloaf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarloaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2005 at 1:23pm
Well I'm doing what you suggest and am just letting the white come through naturally.   The white is about five inches long and the old dyed brown stuff is about 6 inches long.  Sounds awful and in some lights it looks awful as well.  But a lot of the time it looks fairly ok and I'm feeling strong enough to brazen it out.  I think in a few more months I will be really glad that I did.  I've been thinking really hard about hair color this year and have come to the conclusion that we all let fashion and what other people think worry us too much.  Do whatever you want to do!!
collywolly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote collywolly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2005 at 4:35pm
Thanks- I think I'll get several inches cut off and I'll be half way there!
Good Luck with yours!

collywolly
TexianTraveler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TexianTraveler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2006 at 1:39am

As someone with premature gray hair, I was always being urged to color it.  At one point I tried a very light blonde.  I didn't especially like the color, and I REALLY didn't like how my hair felt after all that processing.  So I started with getting low lights, going a little darker each time and eventually eliminating the highlights.  When it was able to grow out without my looking like a bomb popsicle, I let it grow until the non-colored part was about two inches long.  Then I cut it all off in a supershort style. 

I haven't colored my hair in about three years, and I am much happier. 

In the end, we remember not the voices of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
cinderella View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cinderella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2007 at 5:05pm
Im in the same dilemma, I am 44 and look a lot younger. I have been colouring my longish hair for a few years but my naturally curly hair is getting fried by it. My choice is fried coloured hair or healthy curly greying hair. The problem is most of my grey is around the front and is really aging. I wish there was a product that would just soften up the grey and blend in more. I have a dark blonde colour (hairdresser speak) and the greys just scream out! I tried a non damaging semi perm colour that washes out over 6 weeks but it didnt take on the grey.

Edited by cinderella - February 21 2007 at 5:06pm
Sugarloaf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarloaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2007 at 11:53am
I think the grey looks more aging because it contrasts with the dyed hair.  If you can bear to let it just grow out, I think you might find it is less aging.  That's what happened to me anyway.  Good luck.
Jacob-Oram View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacob-Oram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2008 at 5:58am
I think you need original hair color. It is dye your hair maturely. You can make your hair as so as you want.  
Get health from Himalayan Salt Lamp at a very low cost from saltlampforless.com.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic