Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Craddle Cap Progressing into 4th Grade

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
laurie_lu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laurie_lu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Craddle Cap Progressing into 4th Grade
    Posted: September 30 2005 at 9:39pm
My son had craddle cap as an infant.  I treated it with baby oil and scrapping with a comb.  As a toddler it never went away.  Took him to a dermatologist who just suggested dandruff shampoos.  They never worked. 

This is still happening at age 9.  He has three bad spots that get really bad and the hair gets matted onto the scalp and it looks like a layer of skin or 'crud' is growing over the first 1/4 inch of hair near the roots.

Every couple months I take some glycerine and let it soak in his scalp and then take a fine tooth comb and start scraping away until it loosens and I can scrape it out.  This can be pretty painful for him and often leaves his scalp raw.

Is there any home remedy I can apply to stop this?  I am at my wits end.

Laurie
eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2005 at 7:17am
Have you tried a really good scalp massage every time you wash his hair? Scrub gently with your fingernails.

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?
laurie_lu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laurie_lu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2005 at 9:18am
Ya I have when I use to bathe him myself.  But now that he's getting older and more 'mature', he doesn't want me seeing him naked and washing him.  I imagine his shampooing technique isn't as good as mine was.  I do remind him he needs to scrub and use his fingernails to prevent the build up from coming back.
Alisa06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisa06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2007 at 11:23am
I know this is an old post, but I thought I would comment anyway, to see if I can help.
 My son has a couple spots that sound similar to what you have explained, not quite as bad but similar. A dr once told me that he has a form of psoriasis. I started having him use a shampoo from a natural line called Jason.the shampoo he uses is the biotin one. It keeps it practically gone. I can tell when he has used a different shampoo, because it comes back with a vengence .  
Also, I have read that essential fatty acids are awesome for skin problems. These are found in foods like fish. You can get capsules if he can swallow them. They come as flax seed oil, fish oil, and sometimes combo of different oils. Cod liver oil is excellent and is alot smaller that others. 
Anyhow, I hope you are still around, and this has helped somewhat.
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic