Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Long hair destroyed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Pampinetta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pampinetta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Long hair destroyed
    Posted: October 02 2005 at 10:03am

Hi,

I am in desperate need of help! For several years I let my hair grow and had long healthy hair with a fringe and I loved it so much. It looked very much like some sixties/seventies hippie hair, just how I wanted it too look (as I'm obsessed with this era!). Then, for six months ago, I decided to give it a treat and went to a hairdresser to get a propper cut (my father used to trim it for me before) and some highlights. This hairdresser totally destroyed my hair and it is now horribly layered with the longest hair shoulderlength and has got an awful blonde colour. It's gone half a year but I still feel really bad about it and, to tell the truth, I still cry a bit now and then. Actually, I cry copiously.... Has anyone got some comforting words or any advise? I feel like such a baby...

By the way, I'm new here and English is not my first language, so please excuse any mistakes!

MrsMNK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMNK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2005 at 12:22pm
Hey, Im sorry to hear about what the Stupid hairdresser did, i would have sued em ifit was me, hasnt the blond hair grown out yet? and im sure your hair will grow long soon,keep treating ur hair kindly & everything will b fine
PurpleBubba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurpleBubba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2005 at 3:54pm
I'm sorry to hear that happened.

There's lots of things you can try to help you feel better.

What kinds of products and tools are you using now? Are you using any hot tools or blow dryers?

Have you read about Conditioner Only Washing / CO or Condition Wash Condition washing CWC?

One involves using only conditioner and the other involves only using shampoo on your scalp and not on the length.

Others use shampoo that they have mixed with water to dilute it.

These are things to consider so that you can wash your hair but not strip it.

There's lots of threads that talk about these things on this Long Hair Support board.
If you can't find the info let us know.

Another thing to look up info for is Oils. There's many different oils you can try and many different ways to use them. You should be able to find some threads on Oils but again if you need help just ask.

And your English is just fine. I couldn't tell one bit that it wasn't your language. :)

Stick with us and we will help you cry tears of joy.

cookiesnkream View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cookiesnkream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2005 at 8:04pm

AAAW,, ur hair will be back soon,, treat it kindly,, im
growing a bad relaxer out also,, try Neutrogena Triple
Moisture Shampoo.. and the Neutrogena Triple
Moisture Mask,, they work wonders.... and do deep
conditioning every week......... good luck
Hair type: 3b some c?, fine strands, last relaxer sept 05, never again!!! current :ap length on sides,,nearly bsl in back, damn those old frazzled ends! I am hair OBSESSED   
Tyranna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tyranna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2005 at 1:13pm

If you want to feel better, simply go over to the Hair Color forum to read the daily disaster stories that seem to run along the lines of "I bleached my black hair three times to white blond within one week and permed it and now it has all broken off".

I exaggerate (lol, well not by much), but everybody experiences a hair disaster.  Be thankful your hair style rather than your hair itself was ruined.  It will grow back and you can always correct the color down to your natural shade (or what you had before).

If you do color, remember - stay within your color family and do test strands. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pampinetta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2005 at 1:32pm

Thanks everyone for your kind words and advise, I feel a lot better now.

Tyranna, I will check out the disaster stories right away and feel sorry for someone else...   

cookiesnkream, I will ask my dad to buy the stuff for me in Chicago as they aren't available here in Sweden.

PurpleBubba, thank you so much for your kind words! You hair looks great by the way!

MrsMNK, I SHOULD have sued them...

To answer PurpleBubba's question about what tools/products I'm using now... I am a bit ashamed to say that I almost every day use a blow dryer and quite often a curling iron as I can't really stand my hair now... I know this isn't improving my bleached hair, any ideas anyone?

Edited by Pampinetta
missrini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missrini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2005 at 5:33am

Maybe you could wear it in an upstyle? That way you wouldn't have to look at it and make yourself upset. I was excited when my hair got long enough to wear up, because now I can just forget about it and be pleasantly suprised on the odd occasion when I wear it down

A word of advice though....stop using heat. It's no good for hair.

Bob S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2005 at 10:37am

Pampinetta, I can't tell you how badly I feel about your hair's destuction at the hands of an arrogant hacker. Thankfully, the results are not permanent. My DW and many co-workers have had very bad results after entering salons for "trims". Thus, *I* am the only person who has touched her hair with a scissors for over four years! It's 35" now, surprise. She's never going back to a "professional". A few bad apples have spoiled the trust for all, sadly.

As for you now, love the hair you have, pamper it, and it will soon return the favor with beauty such as it's never had before. Think positive! Encouragingly, Bob

Edited by Bob S
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2005 at 5:51pm
Originally posted by Pampinetta Pampinetta wrote:

Hi,

I am in desperate need of help! For several years I let my hair grow and had long healthy hair with a fringe and I loved it so much. It looked very much like some sixties/seventies hippie hair, just how I wanted it too look (as I'm obsessed with this era!). Then, for six months ago, I decided to give it a treat and went to a hairdresser to get a propper cut (my father used to trim it for me before) and some highlights....

Hi Pampinetta,

I'm sorry to hear your fave hairstyle was destroyed by the hairstylist.  Is the conclusion that if you're happy with your hair (and it's long!) then avoid the salon?  It's unfortunate that there's a kernel of truth in that conclusion.  Was there a miscommunication about what you wanted ("a proper cut"), or do you think the stylist willfully ignored your request and did what she wanted to do?  I hope it grows back quickly.

missrini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missrini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2005 at 9:55pm
Dave, those are such good questions! I often wonder whether bad haircuts are the result of the client not really explaining, or the hairdresser just doing it their own way. My husband thinks that they do whatever they want so that you will have to keep on going back to have it "fixed".  I used to go to a hairdresser and she would always cut my hair exactly like hers!!!  It was weird.  And NOT at all what I wanted.  However, I was always too polite to say "Don't cut it so I look like you!"

25 inches as at 1st Nov 06
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2005 at 8:39am
The blow dryer is probably not as bad as the curling iron, as long as you use it on a cool setting.  Sorry to hear this happened to you, its always a pain to grow your hair out after a too short disaster.

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2005 at 7:50pm
Hi Rini,

I tend to agree with your husband's perspective.

I recently had a discussion with a woman who has told me several times in the past year that she wants her long hair back (but her hair doesn't get any longer).  I inquired.  She said that her stylist tells her that she looks better with short hair.  Basically, I hear her telling her stylist that she wants to let her hair grow longer, but the stylist doesn't hear her, and just does what she wants.

I suggested that she tell the stylist that she wants to grow her hair to her knees, "even though it's longer than you want it to be," so that the stylist understands what you're getting at.  And I assured her that she looked great with long hair before, and that the stylist is just telling her what she is to get her to keep coming back for frequent haircuts.

Time will tell if her hair length changes. 
missrini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missrini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2005 at 5:07am
That's such an unethical thing to do!!! She should go somewhere else.

25 inches as at 1st Nov 06
Bob S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2005 at 3:58pm
Dave, I doubt that making her message more specific will have any effect on her arropgant chopper. IMO, the only way that her hair will ever attain ANY length is for her to avoid this person altogether, and preferably eschew all salons for the next several years. Maybe YOU could offer to trim her hair bottom a couple times a year as it grows. Who better to trust? (lol) Bob

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pampinetta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2005 at 4:02pm

Dave, missrini and Bob, I agree with you. I think hairdressers often don't hear what their clients want. The woman who destroyed my hair did some really strange things to my hair, afterwards it felt as if she had been experimenting with my hair. I'm never going to go to a hairdresser again, I'm avoiding salons from now on!!

My little sister is more of the experimenting type when it comes to her hair and resently she wanted a quite short cut and told her hairdresser so. She told my sister that it wouldn't suit her and gave her a much longer hair than she wanted so she had to go just a few weeks later to get a new cut, still the long one. I think she was wrong: 1, my sister really looks good in short hair and 2, she should have done what my sister asked her. Sure they should give advise, but still do what the client asks of them.

Sugaree View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugaree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2005 at 1:44pm
Hey Girl, I'm right there with ya! I have pretty much always had short to
mid-length hair. So a couple years ago I decided to grow it out. I had
grown it to my mid-back area ( which is the longest I've had it since I was
a little girl! ) It really looked and felt great, I had a similar style to what
you discribed, long hippie hair with a fringe. I was so proud of my long
hair... but one day (FOR SOME F*'N REASON) I decided I was tired of the
matinance, and the ends were split...so I compulsivly chopped my locks.
When I got home and took a shower I realized what I had done. WHAT A
MISTAKE! I cried for like three hours ( my BF wanted to kill me! he was
like,"it's only hair!" -boys will never understand ) Not that I felt it looked
BAD... but I really LOVED my long hair and it took SO LONG to get it that
way, I felt I had regressed. So now I'm back at shoulder length. BLEH!
I decided that only way I could make the best of this horrible situation is
to consintrate on growing LONG and STRONG as opposed to just "long".
Now that I know I want to be a longhair for life, I can take better care of
my locks so when they are long again they will be shiney and gorgeous.
Hang in there!! In the meantime, even though the road is long, enjoy the
trip.
Don't let the man get you down ~ me

1c MC iii Dark Brown, 22" Goal: Waist
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic