Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

I was wondering.....

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Debbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Debbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I was wondering.....
    Posted: October 10 2005 at 4:01pm
I just got DSL----yes I know, I came over to THIS century! LOL----and now my computer is really slow.  I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this and if it could be my computer?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!  Debbie
There is more to life than hair...Come on---Go get a life!!!!!!!
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2005 at 3:37am

My computer wasn't slow when I first got DSL, but after I networked with the other computer and started sharing, it's been having its moments :-P .  This DNA-like icon just appears on the bottom of the screen and the whole computer slows down -_- .  No idea what it does.  I've had a little more RAM put into my computer, and now it has fewer probs with slowness, but still once in a while. . .  *pokes it*

More awesome than a manatee!
yoshikisquall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yoshikisquall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2005 at 3:25am

Are the programs running slow or does IE (internet explorer) pop up pretty fast and the page itself runs slow. If IE itself and other programs are running slow you either got spyware on the system or if they made you install a disk the programs they have on it could eat up all your system resources. Hope that helps

Debbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Debbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2005 at 7:30am
Thanks!  Now I ask the dumb question of how I get rid of it?  I was suppose to use a disc, but I put it in and then called the company to set it up.  It is still slow.  I may give them a call and see what else I can do. Thanks! Debbie
There is more to life than hair...Come on---Go get a life!!!!!!!
yoshikisquall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yoshikisquall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2005 at 3:03am

Win 9x and Win XP, start -> run -> MSConfig, go to startup tab and all the little check boxes in there are stuff running in the background. To the left is a listing of where each program is located (so look before you disable). The second thing to ask is if it is absolutely necessary to have said programs on your computer to run the DSL. Some of them just need a connector for the GUI sign in. Others don't. It depends... XD If you don't need it, if it's just for 'optimal' use then you can try to uninstall the program (you may want to ask for help on this. With some companies the software needs to be taken out with an uninstaller they supply you with or you may need to do it off of the Programs list instead of "Add/Remove Programs".) Good luck and sorry for the late reply XD

EDIT: Oh an additional note, in MSConfig if you dont know what it is don't disable it :) You never know what you'll end up doing to your comp (and if you plan to do so back your things up...just incase).

Edited by yoshikisquall
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic