Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Thicker hair & growing edges

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mayfletcher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mayfletcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thicker hair & growing edges
    Posted: October 26 2005 at 7:51pm

I have been stretching out my relaxers (now at 8 weeks will got o 10 or 12 wks).  I have had 2 Dominican blow-outs to help keep the roots staright in the whole 8 weeks, otherwise just wash, condition, roller-set myself.  But my question has to do with thickness. My hair is growing, but it seems thin. My hairdresser tells me my hair is naturally fine.

What can I do to get it to grow in thicker and also my edges are killing me. I need my edges to grow in. Thet are but so slow. They got wrecked with weaves. No longer doing that. I never pull my hiar back always wear it forward because the side are so thin.

So I need to know what to use to grow my hair thicker and to get my edges in faster.  Thanks!

QueenLinda83 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote QueenLinda83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2005 at 11:24pm
Hi May!  I also have a problem with my edges, and I use Sulfur 8 on them.  You could also try MTG, I've heard it works wonders for people.
NoNapNique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoNapNique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2005 at 9:14am

I have the SAME problem you do...  Here's what I do...

For thickness of individual strands I use castor oil.  I pre-poo and baggie with castor oil - it's definitely my staple product!  I also alternate doing my baggie with carrot oil for strength along with thickness.  For edges I use Surge Plus 14 with either MTG or WGO...  Then to build up strength even more on my edges... before I go to bed with my satin scarf, I slick edges down with a little water and MNT conditioner (Mane and Tail), because you can also use it as a leave-in. To actually have new thicker hair growing from the root, I increased the protein in my diet, and I take Brewer's Yeast.

A word on tying hair down at night... 

Now, this may not be the culprit for EVERYBODY - because everyone is different. There could also be people who are not affected at all by securely tied scarves, But here's a thought....

I always wondered why my edges and nape were so short - I found the CULPRIT: securely tied SCARVES, yes SCARVES - the very thing we were taught will SAVE our hair!!! Because think about it, most of the tension on the scarf is *AROUND* your head (edges, all around to the nape), cutting off that precious circulation that's needed for proper hair growth - and your body does the most rejuvenating and "growing" while you're sleep... And think about this too... even if you're not cutting off much circulation, with a scarf securely tied around your edges and nape, you're inhibiting the actual "space" that your hair has to "push out" out from the root... So literally, your new hair has no "room to grow" (but those flat, fresh-looking edges look SO good in the morning, don't they?).

So you get all this growth in the middle - because that's were the most "space" and blood circulation is overnight. So a couple nights a week I sleep on my satin pillow WITHOUT the scarf or anything around the edges of my head (not even a satin bonnet or hair net), and just make sure my hair is nice and secure in a loose bun or secured in braids/twists.

Edited by NoNapNique
WomanlyCharm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WomanlyCharm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2005 at 9:31am
Wow, I never thought a scarf could do damage to my hair!!! I've been concerned about my edges too...I'll have to find my satin sleep cap and use that instead since it's alot more loose and more comfortable anyway.
The Lord is my light and my salvation...whom shall I fear?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mayfletcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2005 at 12:56am

Questions:

So in using MTG what do you do? Part your hair and massage it in the scalp to help get your hair to grow thicker? and Massage it on your edges for growth?

Is Brewers yeast just something you add water to and drink?

I also see one sode of my hair is thinner than the other but that seems to be the side I sleep on. So now I am trying to switch it up some or sleep on my back. My hairdresser said the bak of my hair is weak. So I will try the MTG. I checked out the web site and is it the one that says ORIGINAL MTG that you use?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoNapNique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2005 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by mayfletcher mayfletcher wrote:

Questions:

So in using MTG what do you do? Part your hair and massage it in the scalp to help get your hair to grow thicker? and Massage it on your edges for growth?

Is Brewers yeast just something you add water to and drink?

I also see one sode of my hair is thinner than the other but that seems to be the side I sleep on. So now I am trying to switch it up some or sleep on my back. My hairdresser said the bak of my hair is weak. So I will try the MTG. I checked out the web site and is it the one that says ORIGINAL MTG that you use?

Yes, it is the Original MTG.  Yes, you part your hair just like you're greasing your scalp.  But get an applicator bottle to make it easier, or else you'll have that mess all OVER the place.  It is a VERY runny oil. And make sure you shake it up every couple minutes during application, because the sulfur powder settles at the bottom while you're putting it on.  For some people MTG works, I've tried it and saw nothing but red, irritated skin

In powder form, be forewarned... that Brewer's Yeast is really some nasty stuff.  But no pain no gain right?  You can also get in it pill form, but you have to take ALOT of pills per day. I just like to get it over with in one fell swoop! I just mix 2 tbs in a small cup of orange juice and that takes a little bit of the "nasty" out of it. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mayfletcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2005 at 8:16pm

Thanks for all the info & advice.

Castor Oil- do you just use the liquid in the bottle like you buy at the pharmacy?

Edited by mayfletcher

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoNapNique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2005 at 9:09am

Yes, it is regular drug store castor oil.  But I go to a health food store to get a big bottle (16oz), rather than a little 4oz one at the drugstore.

carameldiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carameldiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2005 at 2:47pm
i use castor oil too and it has definitely thickened my hair up- moreso than it already was.
Me and you, your cousin and your momma too rollin on da strip on bow's

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mayfletcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2005 at 11:53pm

So how long did it taake before you saw results?

1. your edges

2. hair thickness

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mayfletcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2005 at 9:15am
I was on the Shapelys web site for the MTG ..looks like the 32oz bottle is the smallest you can get is that right?  That's a lot for just wanting to try the product. Can I get a smaller amount anywhere?
carameldiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carameldiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2005 at 10:06am
thickness- two weeks- using castor oil.
Me and you, your cousin and your momma too rollin on da strip on bow's

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mayfletcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2005 at 4:16pm

ok I ordered the MTG.

For now until the MTG arrives Iam using Surge and castor oil and some rosemary mixed in with that. for my edges, massaging it in nightly.

Will try the castor oil for general hair thickness.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic