Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

:) Newbie needing some help with the reds

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jennbaeta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jennbaeta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: :) Newbie needing some help with the reds
    Posted: November 22 2005 at 8:30pm

Ok, I am new to the forum, and I have read SOOOO many great posts about hair coloring.  I know I have come to the right place for my question.

I have rather long hair, it is annoying actually, constantly getting caught on everything, but it has been very processed. I started coloring when I was 13 ( now 29) and havent ever stopped. Natural color is dark brown to black, and I lighten it to a dark blonde and then go red. About three years ago, my hair was SEVERLY burned (chemical) by a hair dresser who decided to use the wrong type of perm solution on color treated hair, even though she was the same person who did all of my coloring.

About a year ago, I discovered a product by chance, called Colordance, made by freeman. I started using it, thinking "another product that promises red that doesnt do anything" but I was AMAZED at the gorgeous true red color I had. It is a conditioner withhenna and cherry bark, put it on rinse it off, that simple.... I stopped chemically treating my hair. It was wonderful, it helped repair some of the damage, and it just worked well for me. It had a LOT of color transfer, not just the mild red tint that typical henna conditioners have, but true color. About four months ago, I stopped using it so I could lighten the roots, let it "clean" out from the henna and I lightened, which of course, did some minor chemical damage, no big deal, turned out good. Started using the henna again, and now, I can no longer locate the Colordance.  I have been made aware by the manufacturer that the product has been discontinued.  I am looking for something similar, easy-fast application little to no wait time, could be henna, but something that will keep me enjoying both my red color and the health of my hair.

I would rather not use a permanent chemical/coloring just because it is time consuming, and although some are very mild, my poor hair has really made quite a recovery over the years, I really do not want to damage it any further. I am open minded to it, if it is my only alternative.

Does anyone know of anything similar to Colordance? What are your thoughts on henna or henna products? What recomendations for henna products might you make, if any? Is there a henna product with fast and easy application time with little to no wait time with high color transfer?  Any help would be greatly appreciated! I am so lost, I dont know what to do next. :)

Jenn

KellyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KellyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2005 at 8:35pm
Sorry, I have no red experience, but......SWEET BIKE! I ride a CRF-230!

Edited by KellyH
jennbaeta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jennbaeta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2005 at 8:38pm

Thanks! :) its one of many, but by far my favorite. The CRF's are absolutely the best!!!!   Glad to meet another lady rider:)

Your hair is Beautiful hair by the way! My hair would NEVER hold a curl, ever! :)

KellyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KellyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2005 at 8:42pm
Thanks! I live in SE Texas and this is the ONLY time of year it holds curl.  We didn't ride much over the summer....too hot, but we rode Sunday. (sorry for the de-rail ) click here to see me in action
jennbaeta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jennbaeta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2005 at 8:48pm

AWESOME!!!!!! Its ok, I have been so stressed out over not being able to use my red conditioner ( ran out two days ago), that this is a welcome relief. :)

AWESOME picture!!!! The bike is real nice. Ok, heres pics for you too on another bike, we have a few of them, this one is our little xr100 and the other is a drz 440 with my full squid gear ;)

http://www.kb1industries.com/jenndrz.jpg

http://www.kb1industries.com/JennTT3.jpg

Ok my poor hair...  I guess I should have mentioned, it has a tad bit of wind damage.

KellyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KellyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2005 at 8:52pm

LMAO! Tell me about it!

Cool! I used to ride an XR-100....now it's just waiting for my 11 year old son. http://kellyholmes.net/DirtBikes/KelXR100.jpg  xr-100 in limbo at this time

Edited by KellyH
jennbaeta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jennbaeta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2005 at 8:55pm

That is awesome!!!!!!! I am so glad to see another woman who digs bikes:) we are in short supply.

What do you use to color your hair, if you dont mind me asking?

KellyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KellyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2005 at 9:01pm

Oh, man....I've had quite a list.

Most recently, I've been playing chemist with Loreal Professional Feria in 10.13 and 9.13 http://www.sallybeauty.com/shop/swatches/feria/feria1.html but I ended up with too much ashy on the ends. Here's my thread here for what happened after.   http://www.hairboutique.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=36538& amp;PN=1

Previous to a couple of months ago, I used only Clairol Herbal Essences OTC. I've only been bleaching/highlighting for 5 years (it was platinum naturally until I turned 33).

jennbaeta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jennbaeta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2005 at 9:24pm

Wow, I read your thread....   hair coloring is difficult. But the way your hair looks now, its beautiful.

I got a good laugh from that thread too..... there are so many wonderful stylists and colorists out there, but I tell you, I had one I went to for 7 years, a very nice woman who colored my hair for 7 YEARS, and when I talked to her about a perm, she said, Oh yeah we can do that, lets make an appointment....

and she used THE WRONG PERM SOLUTION! She used the kid for unprocessed or uncolored hair, and left it in for two extra minutes on accident , of course.....   and then told me, as it broke off at the root, looking like some red afro right out the saturday night live movie, that it would be fine in a couple of days. If I had waited a couple of days, and not gone somewhere to get some SERIOUS conditioning, I am certain I would not have had any hair left! Some professionals should know that because there are so many co called pros that mess up our nice hair, it makes it very easy to try to do it ourselves. I never go anywhere but my own beauty supply store, I figure, if I am going to have bad hair, I will only have myself to blame, and since I techincally cant kick my own behind, we are all better off. :) My way of stopping the violence:)

Your hair is gorgeous, if I didnt look like a corpse in blonde, I would so copy your color!!!!

Veronica F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Veronica F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2005 at 2:43pm
How abt those rinses from sally's by Ardell, I sometimes use that in "Really Red" to freshen up my red
jennbaeta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jennbaeta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2005 at 9:02pm
Ardell....  awesome! I have been so disappointed that I dont have my typical conitioner, I didnt know what to get! I will deffinately have to try that!!! Thank you SO much for the advise.... I will be at Sallys on Friday morning! :) thanks again!
FunnyGirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FunnyGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2005 at 7:46am

Try Surya Henna Cream, it already comes ready to apply to your hair.  I think it's new in the U.S. so maybe you still haven't heard about it.  I do believe they carry it worldwide, they have it here in Brazil.  Here's a website where you can purchase it.

http://www.bytheplanet.com/Products/Henna/HennaHair/Surya/co mpletecatalog.htm

Here's the official website, which has a Brazilian domain, but you can put the english language option.

www.suryahenna.com.br

Take a look at this product as well, a consumer who posted a review added pictures with the results.  I personally think her hair looks good, so it might inspire you.

http://www.folica.com/Hennalucent_Hai_r1231_1.html

Also, in order for your color to fade the least amount possible use salt free shampoos and conditioners.  The salt usually strips color away faster.  Pureology seems to be a really good brand, and the only one I've found so far that really contains no salt.  Unfortunately they don't carry it here where I live, so I'm waiting for my vacation when I'll be there in the U.S. and can purchase it to try it myself.  However, I have read good reviews about it, and I have no doubt that the color lasts, because it is salt free.  Not only is it good to hold color longer, but also healthier for the hair.  To read the reviews go to the website below:

http://www.drugstore.com/search/search.asp?searchtype=1& trx=28198&trxp1=60&srchtree=1&search=pureology&a mp;a mp;Go.x=12&Go.y=16

You can also try their official website for salons near you.

www.pureology.com

Hope this helps.  ^^

Edited by FunnyGirl
¤·· Fµnn¥ Gïr£ ··¤
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic